Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any ''The Sisters'' Fans here?

miss_bettyidol

Bette is one of my all-time favorites and while I know that histrionics have always been her trademark I couldn't help warming up to her heartfelt performance in ''The Sisters''. It was quite a shock to watch Bette play an upbeat wife who would stick to her straying husband's side(played by Erol Flynn) for better or for worse. For a change she was wholly good-natured, kind and supportive. It's a rare treat to see Bette so understanding of other people's flaws and failures. Whilst I'm one of those who fall hard for Bette's larger than life portrails, her Louise character in this flick is so out of character that you want things to work out for her and Flynn and the happily ever after to come true.

The movie plays during the Frisco earthquake and somehow provides a projection on a larger scale of the small tragedies in Louise's shattered marriage and life and her other two sisters' own sorrows.

In spite of Bette's tempered and on the level performance, Louise still comes across as a strong woman not in the domineering style of Regina Gibbons but as a survivor that would never give up.

Bette might have complained of Flynn at this stage but I think they play off each other very well.

I like this movie and think that Bette & Errol make a fine, mismatched pair. Her loyalty and his wanderlust are outlined very nicely against the San Francisco background. I prefer Bette Davis when she soft-pedals the dramatics and she's kept from overwhelming the story with her fireworks, (does it seem that only William Wyler seemed to be able to keep her flamboyance in check sometimes to brilliant effect as in The Letter? ). I think that Flynn and Davis may have gotten along better on the set for The Sisters than many expected. If you check out this blooper track, she deliberately cracks up her co-star with her naughty comment during a scene in The Sisters! (Please note: there are some Anglo-Saxon words used by others in this blooper reel).

I liked her quietly intelligent performances in this film, in Dark Victory, All This and Heaven Too, Watch on the Rhine, The Catered Affair and Storm Center. In her more melodramatic parts, as in Deception, it is the moments when she is silent and watchful that are most effective. In the latter movie, the opening sequence when we see her moving purposefully through the streets and in the back of the concert hall that is made memorable because of this quality of intense stillness. It also probably didn't hurt that the cinematographer was the great Ernest Haller either.

Ladies...both of your analyses of Bette in films was a wonderful read. Thank you! Have you seen Meryl Streep's talk of Bette Davis on TCM. I think Bette Davis is the iconic queen of classic movies from the 30's & 40's. Just saying her name and thinking of her roles conjures up such mammoth images. Thanxxx ladies!!!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings