Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
princessananka

An Affair to Remember and Other Romances

Are you watching any favorite romances during the month of romance--February? If so, please share with us some suggestions. Here's a few of my favorites:

AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER. A 50th anniversary, special 2-disc edition has just been released and for good reason. This is one of the most beloved movies ever made. Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr are incomparable. The music, the wardrobes, the luscious Technicolor all work to make this one of our favorites--and a 4 hankie classic.

NOW VOYAGER. Bette Davis and Paul Henreid and two cigarettes. Need more to be said? Add Max Steiner's shimmering musical score--for which he won an Oscar--fabulous production and unforgettable performances by a once-in-a-lifetime cast and you'll be in movie heaven.

MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION. Jane Wyman and Rock Hudson give us classic performances in this lush, Technicolor valentine. Wonderful piano score, great sets, costumes and sets and we'll all be grabbing our hankies before its over with.

ASH WEDNESDAY. Liz Taylor gave us her last glamour performance as a middle-aged woman who has plastic surgery to awaken desire in her cold, unloving husband, Henry Fonda. Liz looks phenomenal in her Edith Head/Valentino wardrobe--dripping with furs, velvets, jewelery, turbans. Helmet Berger is her gorgeous gigolo. Liz would never look so phenomenal as she does here.

BRIEF ENCOUNTER. Another black and white classic from England (1948), with hypnotic piano score and marvelous performances from Celia Johnson and Trever Howard.

Others I'm going to be watching; GONE WITH THE WIND (Scarlett and Rhett and the Civil War): INTERMEZZO (another David Selznick production which dazzles with ingrid Bergman's first American performance); BROKE BACK MOUNTAIN (love trascends gender in this beauty), KING KONG (Even a giant ape would fall for the beauty of Fay Wray), BUTTERFIELD 8 (gorgeous Liz can't find love and takes to the road in her little red sports car) TARZAN AND HIS MATE (hunky Johnny Weismuller fights savages and crocodiles to save his beloved Jane); MUMMY'S GHOST (Kharis rises up from the dead to find the reincarnation of his 3,000 year -old Princess. Guess what her last name is?)

Do you have any favorites you'd like to shae? Let's hear'em!

Some of the best romances:

(Warning, some are kind of cheesy!)

The way we were

wuthering heights

when harry met sally

titanic

love story

the princess bride

annie hall

bridget jones's diary

doctor zhivago

My favorite shipboard romance is ?Now Voyager? with Bette Davis and Paul Henreid. . .ah, Charlotte and Jerry, and I have always preferred the original black and white version of ?An Affair to Remember? with Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer simply titled, ?Love Affair.?

I can also recommend ?One Way Passage? with William Powell and Kay Francis. This is a somewhat clunky story about a man and a woman who develop a shipboard romance after sharing a ?paradise cocktail.? I?m a huge William Powell fan and he is quite a discovery as Dan Hardesty, a good-hearted fugitive being transported to San Francisco to stand trail (see him in ?Double Harness? for yet more of his acting range.) Kay Francis is, as always, elegant and sympathetic as Joan Ames, the ailing heiress who captures Dan?s heart. There is a final scene involving crossed broken champagne glasses that is sure to bring a tear or two.

You might also want to checkout a ?remake? of sorts titled ?Til? We Meet Again? with George Brent and Merle Oberon. I?m not a big fan of Oberon, however she is likeable as the ailing heiress, but George Brent makes the film as the fugitive.

Great suggestions everyone. Here are a few more that I just remembered.

SUMMER OF '42. This is a beautiful film about lost love--and it also pays homage to NOW VOYAGER in the scene wehre the young lovers are watching this film in a movie theater.

SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS. I love this beautifully created animated marvel from Walt Disney. Those two lovers--Snow White and her Prince--were so gorgeous!

SINCE YOU WENT AWAY. Claudette Colbert is unforgettable as the heroic mother and wife who hold their family together--and she never stops loving her war-bound husband who is never seen except for a photograph.

wow, i see a lot of wonderful romantic films posted in this thread and kept looking...and looking...and looking and noone mentioned "the ghost and mrs. muir" yet. have you had a chance to ever see it?

I watched the ''Ghost and Mrs Muir'' last night and Miss Gene Tierney had me at the edge of my seat for over 2 hours. I had always thought of her as an ice beauty godess who couldn't bring warmth and feeling into her lines. Maybe I was blinded by her ''Laura'' and ''Leave her to Heaven'' roles. But no one is more willing than me to eat humble pie.

Luch Muir is a lonely soul who rents Gull Cottage to take the ropes of her life after her husband's death. Her mercurial chemistry with Rex Harrison has bowled me over. This couple couldn't be more real if they were kissing in a roomful of people. I loved the way she grows into a woman of her own even at the price of losing her darling ghost. There's an untimely air about the story, the music score that sinks in every corner of Gull Sea and the characters' lives sweeping you away with it.

Well, Hello There, Princess Ananka -- Now how can a gal who likes No Country for Old Men be romantic?

Others I'm going to be watching; GONE WITH THE WIND (Scarlett and Rhett and the Civil War):

I've yet to watch this one. Is it any good?

MUMMY'S GHOST (Kharis rises up from the dead to find the reincarnation of his 3,000 year -old Princess. Guess what her last name is?)

Is it Grimes? She's run off again.

You always find a way to sneak The Mummy's Ghost in. How romantic.

Since I know you don't have a disdain for contemporary films, I decided to post caps to a film that really moved me on your thread. I watched this film for the very first time last weekend. It's quite a unique love story that uses colors and symbolism to express feelings and emotions. Here are the caps:

VISUAL SPOILER ALERT

P.T. Anderson's Punch-Drunk Love

punchdrunklove18.jpg

punchdrunklove8.jpg

punchdrunklove9.jpg

punchdrunklove10.jpg

punchdrunklove11.jpg

punchdrunklove12.jpg

punchdrunklove13.jpg

punchdrunklove14.jpg

punchdrunklove15.jpg

punchdrunklove16.jpg

punchdrunklove17.jpg

punchdrunklove2.jpg

punchdrunklove19.jpg

punchdrunklove21.jpg

punchdrunklove20.jpg

punchdrunklove3.jpg

punchdrunklove4.jpg

punchdrunklove5.jpg

punchdrunklove6.jpg

punchdrunklove7.jpg

There is some sexual vulgarity (language) in the film, so it's definitely not a film for all audiences. I believe the vulgarity has meaning, though.

Hi, Miss Betty Idol -- This Gene Tierney fan welcomes you to the board!

I watched the ''Ghost and Mrs Muir'' last night and Miss Gene Tierney had me at the edge of my seat for over 2 hours. I had always thought of her as an ice beauty godess who couldn't bring warmth and feeling into her lines. Maybe I was blinded by her ''Laura'' and ''Leave her to Heaven'' roles. But no one is more willing than me to eat humble pie.

My favorite Gene performances are Leave Her to Heaven, The Razor's Edge, and The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. But then again, I love "ice beauty goddesses." I like it when Gene is portraying highly emotional women.

Luch Muir is a lonely soul who rents Gull Cottage to take the ropes of her life after her husband's death. Her mercurial chemistry with Rex Harrison has bowled me over. This couple couldn't be more real if they were kissing in a roomful of people. I loved the way she grows into a woman of her own even at the price of losing her darling ghost. There's an untimely air about the story, the music score that sinks in every corner of Gull Sea and the characters' lives sweeping you away with it.

That was beautifully said.

ghostandmrsmuir9.jpg

ghostandmrsmuir10.jpg

ghostandmrsmuir11.jpg

ghostandmrsmuir12.jpg

ghostandmrsmuir13.jpg

ghostandmrsmuir14.jpg

ghostandmrsmuir15.jpg

Thanks, Frank. I feel so at home among Gene fans. To tell you the truth I passed Gene by as the ivory tower out of reach beauty with an ''everyone drops at my feet'' act in ''Laura'', the perfect mantrap in which the victims walked blinfolded. Silly me I couldn't separate Gene from Laura and figure out how magnificently Gene managed to embody the wicked Laura. I keep covering myself with sackclothes and ashes for my foolishness. But ''The Ghost and Mrs Muir'' was enough to get me caught in the touching web of dreams and illusions that Lucy spins to make a life for herself. So different from the web of lies and manipulations she weaved in ''Leave Her to Heaven''. My light and clarity moment was long overdue.

And Miss Tierny's beauty is that striking that is almost hypnotic. Not even the sadness that sneaks into her eyes can break the spell.

Hi, Miss Betty Idol! -- Thanks, Frank. I feel so at home among Gene fans. To tell you the truth I passed Gene by as the ivory tower out of reach beauty with an ''everyone drops at my feet'' act in ''Laura'', the perfect mantrap in which the victims walked blinfolded. Silly me I couldn't separate Gene from Laura and figure out how magnificently Gene managed to embody the wicked Laura. I keep covering myself with sackclothes and ashes for my foolishness. But ''The Ghost and Mrs Muir'' was enough to get me caught in the touching web of dreams and illusions that Lucy spins to make a life for herself. So different from the web of lies and manipulations she weaved in ''Leave Her to Heaven''. My light and clarity moment was long overdue.

I'm someone who loves femmes fatale and women who are emotionally unstable. Gene's performance in Leave Her to Heaven is one of my all-time favorites for this very reason and it's also why I love her in The Razor's Edge. I do enjoy her peformance as "Lucia" in The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, too. I believe that performance shows her softer, loving side.

You're very correct about "Laura" being the perfect mantrap. That is the film where I fell into the Gene trap. I'm not looking to free myself, either.

And Miss Tierny's beauty is that striking that is almost hypnotic. Not even the sadness that sneaks into her eyes can break the spell.

Ooooh, I like that. I love Gene's eyes because they often tell a story with her.

Gene is the actress that I am drawn to the most in terms of beauty and performance. Barbara Stanwyck is my favorite actress in terms of performance and Grace Kelly is the actress that I find to be the most beautiful, but Gene is a mix of both for me. She's more beauty than performance, but I do like her acting ability.

There are so many!!

Indiscreet - Cary Grant & Ingrid Bergman

The original "Affair to Remember" - "Love Affair - Charles Boyer & Irene Dunne

Casablanca - "My"Bogie and Bergman

Mr. & Mrs. Smith - Carol Lombard & Robt. Montgomery. (A good perfomance

by Gene Raymond)

The Quiet Man - John Wayne & Maureen O'Hara ("There'll be no locked doors

between us, Mary Kate"!) WOW!

Valley of Decision - Gregory Peck & Greer Garson (side note: I love the novel

and had been looking for a copy, hoping it wasn't out of print. My daughter

found one!

A Place in the Sun - Montgomery Clift(so sad) & Liz Taylor

OK, I AM DONE!!

Princessananka,

You began this thread by suggesting some romantic films for Valentine?s Day; and I think we still have a day or two to add some recommendations to celebrate the day of Xs and Os. Someone suggested THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR, which is a lovely ?supernatural romance.? I agree that it is the best to offer, but I would like to suggest two more examples of the supernatural romance, plus a few examples of the ?secret love? or ?love unaware.?

PORTRAIT OF JENNIE: Joseph Cotten and Jennifer Jones. Jennie becomes the muse for artist Eban Adams. Is she or isn?t she? Does he or doesn?t he? You?ll suspend your disbelief and be carried away with this romance that would make Einstein proud.

THE ENCHANTED COTTAGE: Robert Young and Dorothy McGuire. Two scarred and lonely people find love and redemption with the help of a mystical cottage. Does their love transform each other? We say yes because we also see with the heart and not the eyes.

THE BARRETTS OF WIMPOLE STREET: Norma Shearer and Frederic March (I saw the color version first, but I prefer the black and white version.) Elizabeth Barrett and Robert Browning begin an acquaintance through letters and conduct their courtship while she is confined to a fainting couch. You too will find yourself thinking, ?How do I love thee, let me count the ways.?

SHOP AROUND THE CORNER: Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullavan. While technically this film is a romantic comedy, the element of the ?secret love? is central to the plot. Can you share your heart with one you have never seen? Jimmy and Margaret bicker with one another as co-workers while confiding in one another as secret pen pals. Margaret is so mean to our Jimmy, but she learns better in the end.

LOVE LETTERS: another Joseph Cotten Jennifer Jones vehicle. Did she or didn?t she? This is, perhaps, a modern take on the Cyrano de Bergerac theme with a ?murder mystery? element. Alan writes love letters on behalf of Roger to Victoria, whom Roger met but briefly. Though Alan and Victoria fall in love, both must live in the shadow of suspicion that Victoria might have killed Roger. Should you always believe what you read?

Miss Betty your writing has made me swoon. WoW! I've never been a costume drama lover so I've kind of stayed away from "The Ghost & Mrs. Muir." (LOVE GENE THOUGH). But after reading your words...I must make it a point to check out that film again. Have you ever seen Tierney in "The Shanghai Gesture"? If you haven't...you've a treat in store.

Now, my favorite romance film is...

Hi, Bargar -- Mr. and Mrs. Smith! Excellent!

Hey, Whistlin' Gypsy -- Welcome to the board. I liked your selections, but I particularly enjoyed reading your words about your selections. That was wonderful.

Hiya, CineMaven -- I've never been a costume drama lover so I've kind of stayed away from "The Ghost & Mrs. Muir."

Ohh, for goodness sake. Do you think I like costume dramas? It's Gene! She's lovely in the film, too.

Now, my favorite romance film is...

Uh-huh...

Hello, guys. Frank, no truer words have been spoken. I re-watched ''Leave her to Heaven'' and now I can appreciate the movie for what it's worth. Miss Gene is the embodiment of the very things you love her for. A lovely creature with a witch's brain. So charming in evil that I feel sorry for poor Cornel Wilde for being completely overshadowed. Playing the good mug against Miss Gene's captivating, brazen little wench is a win-win. We can't hold our breath until Helen gets what's coming to her or has her own wicked way. It hardly matters. Scarcely anyone cares that he's the injured party. And I still feel there is something in Gene which you wish you could put your finger on, something she always holds back and which makes her all the more fascinating. This is part of the reason for which ''The Ghost and Mrs Muir'' is a Gene masterpiece for me. The elusiveness tha pervades every scene is cut after Miss Gene's nostalgic beauty and matches it to the hilt.

CineMaven, don't deny yourself the pleasure of this lovely jem. Trust me, the costumes won't get you into trouble. Oleg Cassini only enhanced Miss Gene's beauty, if possible with his choice of wordrobe. And HUUUGEE thanks for the ''Shanghai Gesture''. Now if the wait won't kill me first.

Can I add my two cents on romantic flicks?

''Brief Encounter'' -love that is so simple that it would be a sin to put it into words and so hard to hold.

''Imitation of Life'' - Lana's sophistication and elegance alone make the movie worthwhile.

Message was edited by: miss_bettyidol

Casablanca. OK, now that it is out of the way, Love Letters has been a favorite of mine as well. I just can't get over that this lyrical story was penned by Ayn Rand! Another Gene Tierney favorite is Laura with Dana Andrews falling for the memory of a murder victim. The Enchanted Cottage has so much romance in it I can barely stand it; when Mrs. Minnit describes her lost husband and the secret of the Cottage, it can break your heart with its beauty. Rebecca, Jane Eyre (1944), and Now, Voyager round out my top of my head list.

FrankG: Thank you for your welcome; it is a pleasure to meet you. I?m glad that you enjoyed reading my recommendations and my descriptions of those selections.

Casablancalover: I need to pay closer attention to the credits. The woman who created John Galt and Dagny Taggart wrote our beloved LOVE LETTERS? I will be watching this film with ?new? eyes in the future.

I just wanted to mention that TCM will air LOVE AFFAIR with Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer at 7:30am (EST) tomorrow morning. ONE NIGHT OF LOVE with Lyle Talbot and Grace Moore will follow at 9:00am (EST). I have never seen this last film, but a musical-romance featuring Lyle Talbot sounds intriguing.

Miss Betty:

CineMaven, don't deny yourself the pleasure of this lovely jem. Trust me, the costumes won't get you into trouble. Oleg Cassini only enhanced Miss Gene's beauty, if possible with his choice of wordrobe. And HUUUGEE thanks for the ''Shanghai Gesture''. Now if the wait won't kill me first.

Okay...you've won me over. I'll do "...Mrs. Muir." Now hurry and rent, Netflix or buy "Shanghai Gesture" and get a load of Victor Mature, Ona Munson and Walter Huston.

Frank Grimes:

Ohh, for goodness sake. Do you think I like costume dramas? It's Gene! She's lovely in the film, too.

Hey Frank...you're right. Gene could be dressed in sack cloths. She'd be lovely.

Now MY favorite romance movie is: V E R T I G O

Hiya, Miss Betty Idol -- Frank, no truer words have been spoken. I re-watched ''Leave her to Heaven'' and now I can appreciate the movie for what it's worth. Miss Gene is the embodiment of the very things you love her for. A lovely creature with a witch's brain. So charming in evil that I feel sorry for poor Cornel Wilde for being completely overshadowed. Playing the good mug against Miss Gene's captivating, brazen little wench is a win-win. We can't hold our breath until Helen gets what's coming to her or has her own wicked way. It hardly matters. Scarcely anyone cares that he's the injured party. And I still feel there is something in Gene which you wish you could put your finger on, something she always holds back and which makes her all the more fascinating. This is part of the reason for which ''The Ghost and Mrs Muir'' is a Gene masterpiece for me. The elusiveness tha pervades every scene is cut after Miss Gene's nostalgic beauty and matches it to the hilt.

It's plain to see that you're not a plain writer. That was a magnificent read. Leave Her to Heaven is most definitely "Gene's film." It's why I consider it to be her best performance. She's asked to carry a lush, vibrant color film and she does so with great ease. It's impossible not to focus in on Gene and her breathtaking beauty throughout, but it's her emotionally unstable performance that ultimately makes the film for me. The Razor's Edge isn't a total "Gene" film but I believe she's the greatest aspect of the picture.

What I like about Gene's performance in The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is that she's able to keep up with Rex Harrison, which isn't an easy assignment. The two of them play off each other tremendously well. The mixture of bluster and beauty was rarely ever more romantic.

Hi, Whistling Gypsy -- FrankG: Thank you for your welcome; it is a pleasure to meet you.

Thank you. Likewise.

I?m glad that you enjoyed reading my recommendations and my descriptions of those selections.

I liked how your recommendations were presented in a theme. Very interesting.

Heya, CineBaby -- Hey Frank...you're right. Gene could be dressed in sack cloths. She'd be lovely.

Sack cloths? :D

Now MY favorite romance movie is: V E R T I G O

So you go for the "tortured" romance films too, eh?

I find all these movies romantic, even if some are not specifically in the romantic genre:

Gone with the Wind

Charade

Jewel Robbery

One-Way Passage

Algiers

All This, and Heaven, Too

Roman Holiday

Morocco

Casablanca

The Quiet Man

To Catch a Thief

Love in the Afternoon

The Pink Panther

Vertigo

Notorious

Now, Voyager

Angel and the Bad Man

Doctor Zhivago

Out of Africa (the music and the setting)

Somewhere in Time

The Tamarind Seed

Marnie

Soldier of Fortune

Captain Blood

The Sun Also Rises

Pandora and the Flying Dutchman

Mogambo

The Ghost and Mrs Muir

Laura

Gilda

Waterloo Bridge (Vivling)

Hide-Out

The Man in Possession

The Fountainhead

Howdy, Frank. You make me blush. ''Leave Her to Heaven'' is the flawless showcase for Miss Gene's acting skills. She was born to play the part.It's not Cornel Wilde's fault that he plays second fiddle throughout the movie. Not even a more versatile actor could have held his own against Miss Gene's bewitching portrayl. She does have that effect on people. Not even the sardonic Cliffton Webb stood a chance in ''Laura''. Even if she meant no harm, she couldn't be more dangerous. And who are we to blame them? Everything is fair in love and... Ellen's game. Do we wait for her to get her comeuppance? Maybe.Do we fall prey to Ellen's mesmerizing beauty? Mostly.But, as you pointed out, it's Ellen's tormented soul and cunning self that have us hooked more than any desire to see her pay her dues. And the sadness and misfortune that seeps into Gene's character only add to her irresistible charm.

Ditto again, Frank. Gene drew fire with Rex Harrison in ''The Ghost and Mrs. Muir''. Their tempers made a startling contrast.

CineMaven, I'm so glad we have convinced you. Words of praise will pour once you get to watch ''The Ghost and Mrs. Muir''.