Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
princessananka

An Affair to Remember and Other Romances

Miss Betty....more more more writing please. Wonderful.

Miss Goddess...your list is great. Romance personified.

"So you go for the 'tortured' romance films too, eh?

Frank... re: "Vertigo" it ain't love if it doesn't hurt, does it?

Hi, Miss Betty Idol -- Thanks again for all your lovely words about Gene and her performances. You're definitely a welcome addition to this board.

Heya, CineMaven -- re: "Vertigo" it ain't love if it doesn't hurt, does it?

I'm a naive, hopeless romantic. I just love to watch the "tortured" romances. Livin' 'em is a completely different story.

Bonjour, Mademoiselle Blabberbouche -- I'm shocked! I've actually seen 13 of the films on your list.

Charade

Morocco

Casablanca

To Catch a Thief

The Pink Panther

Vertigo

Notorious

Marnie

Mogambo

The Ghost and Mrs Muir

Laura

The Fountainhead

I want to see Mogambo & The Fountainhead. I missed the latter on TCM, and I am interested in the Clark Gable box set that has Mogambo, San Francisco,etc...

Laura,Leave her to Heaven, Notorious are just FABULOUS movies..

Did Gene Tierney ever act with Ingrid Bergman ?

Is Ingmar Bergman related to Ingrid Bergman ???

Looks like I have yet more movie catching up in my classic movie viewing festival. I will never see them all at this pace...there too many movies out there..

I want to see all the Clark Gable,Gary Cooper, Robert Mitchum & Bette Davis collections from Warner. I haven't even scratched the surface :( too many...

Well I did finally see Macao...so-so for me..there is better Mitchum out there for sure..

There is just too many out there.. .

Hi 3H!

Did Gene Tierney ever act with Ingrid Bergman ?

Is Ingmar Bergman related to Ingrid Bergman ???

No and No.

You must get the Gary Cooper set. :D

The Gable set is a nice selection of some of his big budget movies, It's nice they threw *Dancing Lady* in because it's one of the first starring roles he did. I only wish *Mogambo* had a commentary by someone like Scott Eyman or Tag Gallagher. My dream, actually, and it's an impossible dream (my favorite kind!) is a set of John Ford's "studio pictures", the ones the critics sometimes overlook.

Yes, I managed to sneak Pappy into this discussion. :P

Ingrid Bergman & Cary Grant...Notorious & Indiscreet

Greer Garson & Ronald Colman...Random Harvest

Greer Garson & Laurence Olivier...Pride & Prejudice

Simone Signoret & Laurence Harvey...Room at the Top

Greta Garbo & Robert Taylor...Camille

Myrna Loy & William Powell...The Thin Man Series & Libeled Lady

Carole Lombard & William Powell...My Man Godfrey

Doris Day & Rock Hudson...Pillow Talk & Lover Come Back

Olivia de Havilland & Errol Flynn....The Adentures of Robin Hood

Hiya everybuddy, and oh, Frank, my wonderful friend and admirer and everyone's favorite film buff, mucho gracias for bringing to our attention once more that marvelous masterpiece, LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN. Tierney is phenomenal as probably the most beautiful and deadly heroine in film history and as I've mentioned before, that scene of her in the boat, wearing those dark shades, and watching the kid drown is masterful. She was criminally misused by her studio who never knew what to do with her.

Has anybody mentioned yet SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS? I watched this over a snowy weekend here in NYC with some gal pals and we were all enthralled and heartbroken at watching Natalie Wood and Warren Beatty at their peaks. That final scene--when Natalie visits Beatty for the last time after their red hot affair sends her to the mental hospital--had all of us bawling.

GARDEN OF ALLAH, a David Selznick masterpiece, is a Technicolor knockout with the gorgeous Marlene Dietrich and the equally gorgeous Charles Boyer as the former priest who falls in love with our love goddess.

HUMORESQUE stars Joan Crawford and an incredibly sexy John Garfield as the driven violen player who loves his fiddle more than Joan. And how does she handle it? Why, she walks into the sea wearing a glittering black sequined gown, while Tristan and Isolde blasts from the sound track. Oh, that Garfield boy! What a hunk! i dream of being romanced by him. (Kharis, please, I'm only joking!)

Hi Princess...you know in "Splendor in the Grass" I really liked seeing Beatty with Zohra Lampert. No, she wasn't as glamorous as Natalie...but there was something about her. I liked when Natalie wanted to be excused from class. I also liked the scene with Natalie freaking out in her bathtub. See what happens when one doesn't release that sexual tension.

(...And that mummy being wrapped up for over a thousand years! Tsk! Tsk!)

Bonjour, Miss G(one with the Wind) -- You must get the Gary Cooper set.

As someone may say, "tsk, tsk, shame and double shame."

Yes, I managed to sneak Pappy into this discussion.

Oh, really? I hadn't noticed. Cooper, Ford, Gable... I feel ill.

Greetings, Princess Ananka! -- Hiya everybuddy, and oh, Frank, my wonderful friend and admirer and everyone's favorite film buff,

Speaking of "mucho gracias." Mucho gracias!

mucho gracias for bringing to our attention once more that marvelous masterpiece, LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN. Tierney is phenomenal as probably the most beautiful and deadly heroine in film history and as I've mentioned before, that scene of her in the boat, wearing those dark shades, and watching the kid drown is masterful. She was criminally misused by her studio who never knew what to do with her.

I totally agree with you about Fox's "criminal" misusage of Gene, but in a very weird way, I'm glad I got to see her in some films noir. If Gene were used correctly, I doubt she would have ever appeared in such films. But she deserved better.

I like your romance choices and your comments about each. I really haven't seen too many romance films, so I have used this thread and others like it to learn about such films.

Can it get any more romantic than a man carrying his woman over the threshold?

mummysghost1.jpg

mummysghost2.jpg

Greetings everyone and thanks for mentioning some great romances that I've now got to watch again.

Frank: you are simply divine! Your beautifully done pix of me and my better half, Kharis, have touched our ancient hearts. We have all those marvelous pix you've sent to us all framed on our mantle in the tomb, beneath a simmering pot of tanna leaves. Kharis is especially fond of our honeymoon in that muddy bog. It took me forever to get that mud out of my Vera West white silk gown.

Cinemaven: you are soooo right about the marvelous Zohra Lampert in her small role in SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS. She really made that final sequence when Warren Beatty and Natalie Wood have their final meeting. Zohra should have had a much bigger career than she did.

Now, I'm gonna settle down and watch Bette Davis and Charles Boyer in ALL THIS AND HEAVEN, TOO. Sighhhhh.

Zohra! Zohra!!

Princess one question...I haven't seen your Mummy movie yet, but why do you (aka Ramsay Ames) has a bride of Frankenstein streaks in your (her) hair??

Frank: you are simply divine! Your beautifully done pix of me and my better half, Kharis, have touched our ancient hearts. We have all those marvelous pix you've sent to us all framed on our mantle in the tomb, beneath a simmering pot of tanna leaves. Kharis is especially fond of our honeymoon in that muddy bog. It took me forever to get that mud out of my Vera West white silk gown.

You're very welcome, my dear, Princess Ananka. You look ravishing as always. ;)

Oh, Cinemaven, everyone is always asking about my white streaked hair--at the beginning of my transformation.

I think what happened is that the Universal Studio hair department ran out of black dye (since my hair is naturally white, you know) and there wasn't enough coloring to go around---so that left my hair with that streak. Isn't it fetching?

And then, too, my role model was always the bride in BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN. I just adored her hair-do!

Thanks so much for asking--and I do hope you'll be able to watch MUMMY'S GHOST sometimes soon. I've never looked more beautiful--as Frank G. can attest!

The Princess

Princess....Ramsey (and you) look very fetching! Thanxx for the explanation. I thought you were gonna tell me "only her hairdresser knows for sure." ;-)

You got them all. I was about to say you missed one and then I saw that Hideout was on there. :)

You actually did miss a few.

Show Boat

The Shop Around The Corner

Sabrina

Pride And Predjiduce (I can't spell that word)

Random Harvest

For Me And My Gal

The Barkleys Of Broadway

And more I just can't think of them right now.

Hiya, Iloveraymilland, I LOVE your choices! They're all winners and I wish I had thought of them. They're all worth watching in one big marathon viewing!

Cinemaven, so happy you've now seen me at my peak in MUMMY'S GHOST! Kharis is a one-of-a-kind sweetheart. It takes time to get used to him and after 3,000 years I'm still trying. We both weep over AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER and CASABLANCA.