Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Classic Black & White Films

debwebward

I am trying to find the name of an old black and white film that I saw. What reminded me of it was watching the ghost at the top of the stairs in Poltergeist. The film I am looking for had a ghost like that one at the top of the stairs. I don't know the name or who the actors where, I only know the story line goes as follows. There was a man who brought a baby back with him for his wife, along with a nanny for same. The wife at some point threw herself over the cliff and the man I think killed the nanny, who was the baby's actual mother. You think the ghost in the story is the wife but find out in the end that it is the baby's mother who is the ghost. That is all I remember. Can anyone tell me the name of the movie please?

My plot is not mixed up and it is an old black and white movie. The only ones I find are in color. Can you help me further? I remember clearly the ghost, the lady jumping off the cliff and the ghost turning out not to be the wife. Is that what you know about this movie? If so, let me know. Thanks.

In THE UNINVITED, there is definitely a ghost (two, in fact), but we only see one .. the nasty wife. The other, unseen, but heard crying, is the real mother of Gail Russell (Stella), who was the baby you referred to. The wife died in a fall from the cliff (as we learn during the movie), and Stella almost falls off the cliff during the movie. The husband you mention is the father of Stella, but he is also dead. The movie has a famous musical theme called "Stella by Starlight." Does this sound familiar? Did you try watching the trailer at that link? Maybe that will help.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings