Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Joseph Cotten

kimpunkrock

I love Joseph Cotten!! He is amazing in Duel in the Sun. I think that is my fav. movie of his. He is also great in Shadow of a Doubt and Niagara. I recently bought the Niagara DVD for 6 bucks new at costco. I have seen a lot of his movies and he really was one of the best actors of his day.

Any other JC fans out there?

-

kpr

YES! All those movies are great. I love Joseph Cotten, he really was a great actor. He is so good in so many things. I forgot about Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte. He makes that movie along with the rest of the wonderful cast.

...and of course the Third Man....how could I forget that one. What a genius he was.

Joe Cotten was skillful and remarkable actor, it'a a pity he didn't get all the recognition that he deserved.

Among my favorites with him are ''The Farmer's Daughter'', a fairytale romance where he plays a sort of Prince Charming to Laureta Young's character.

I loved him when he co-starred Jennifer Jones in ''Love Letters'' , ''Portrait of Jennie'', ''Since you went away'' and all the others already mentioned.

i love joey cotten!!!

i always thought he was too cute for words! heehee!

i love him most with loretta young in Half Angel, and in Farmer's Daughter especially.

i also love him in:

Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte

I'll Be Seeing You

Portrait of Jennie

Shadow of a Doubt

Gaslight

Love Letters

Hers to Hold

Lydia

Message was edited by: butterscotchgreer

The thing that makes me like Joseph Cotten best is his portrayal of Holly Martins in "The Third Man". It is really hard to play a character that is basically just a nice, but not very smart guy. Cotten is superb in this movie- He is always stumbling in where he is not wanted, and getting the cold shoulder from everyone. He keeps stubbornly doing the wrong thing at the wrong time. I love him.

CLASSICFLIX.COM

Has the Joseph Cotten film "Latitude Zero" on DVD for Sale. I didn't know this was available!

SYNOPSIS:

When a volcano erupts, a deep-sea vessel full of scientists suffers damage and begins to lose control. To their rescue comes Captain MacKenzie (Joseph Cotton), commander of Alpha, a high-tech atomic submarine. The captain takes the crew to a secret underwater utopia called "Latitude Zero" that is dedicated to the preservation and protection of mankind. With a completely opposite agenda, the evil Dr. Malic (Cesar Romero) wishes to kidnap and experiment on the scientists in order to add to his roster of super-intelligent freak minions. Now it's up to Captain MacKenzie and his crew to save the day. Another Toho classic from the legendary Ishiro Honda (Godzilla), Latitude Zero boasts an all-star cast that also includes Richard Jaeckel and Linda Haynes, and terrific model and special effects work.

It looks like it just came to DVD December 11, 2007!

I'm in enthusiastic agreement, kpr, with your admiration of Joseph Cotten. I'm so glad that other members also give him the kind of praise that was far too insufficient during his career of impressive performances. From his first film, CITIZEN KANE, I've been, if you'll pardon the expression, an adoring fan. In fact, LOVE LETTERS and PORTRAIT OF JENNIE turned adoration to an unseemly, slavish, sophomolric, heart-palpitating passion, or a psychosis known as being in love. But enough of the poignancy of unrequited love!

Cotten's long list of films shows his (unsung) versatility. My favorite Cotten portrayal is Eben Adams, the sensitive artist, alone within himself, tormented by the love that eludes him and which would fulfill his life.--until he comes to believe that he has experienced love, and that it transcends time and distance. At least, that's my take on it. (LOVE LETTERS is more satisfying to the flesh-and-blood mortal part of my nature.) When I was working for director Henry Hathaway at Fox, I had the pleasure of meeting Joseph Cotten, Van Johnson, Ruth Roman on the set of THE BOTTOM OF THE BOTTLE (1956) that Hathaway was directing (not a cinematic blockbuster). When HH introduced me, Cotten took my hand, gave me a smile and a few cordial words of greeting. The earth moved. Innately reserved, suggesting, subtly, southern gallantry (Virginia born), he would have been an ideal Ashley Wilkes, younger than Leslie Howard and he had the looks to charm Scarlett and Melanie. But that was 1939; CITIZEN KANE and JC were yet to come. (I related this in a prior post, so forgive the repetition, those of you who read it before.)

He was a dedicated, versatile, totally professional actor, intelligent.and low key. From the late 50s on, his career suffered from a number of mediocre films, made here and in Europe. For Cotten fans who may not know his bio: In 1937 he joined Orson Welles's Mercury Theater; in 1939 he played opposite Katharine Hepburn in the Broadway production of THE PHILADELPHIA STORY. He won the Venice Festival award for best actor for his performance in PORTRAIT OF

JENNIE (1948). His autobiography, VANITY WILL GET YOU SOMEWHERE, came out in 1987

Madeleine2322

That is an amazing picture Metsfan!!!

I forgot he was in Gaslight. He played these quiet, professor hero types in a bunch of his films. He is so awesome. Everyone needs a Joseph Cotten to come and save them from their predicament.

Portrait of Jennie is a great film. Being a painter, I love the way they make it look like an empty canvas through some of the movie. I am waiting for my dad to send me the copy he recorded for me. I missed it the last time TCM played it.

I love painting and painters.

Here is the link to view my paintings (if u are interested):

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n15/kimpunkrock/Paintings/

cheers

kpr

I've always thought that without Mr. Cotten (and maybe Everett Sloane), Citizen Kane would be very grim watching indeed. He brings an upbeat, light note to his youthful scenes, and a deep hurt to the later confrontational ones. I think you may agree that he is possibly the only really well rounded, or even likable character in the whole thing.

Permit me to add that looking at a blank, white canvas is same as when a writer looks at that same kind of canvas; only it's a blank and empty white page.... that is why is use colored paper, soft pink, light green or yellow. Don't know why, nor do I wish to know the why, words come to be easily.

Last time "Love Letters" was shown on TCM I was not able to see it but hopefully one day it will come on again. I forgot he was in "The Abominable Dr. Phibes" with Vincent Price but his character wasn't bad. It would have been interesting to see him personify evil characters with Mr. Price.

Kim, I know how much you love Bogie and I'm wondering if you've seen this photo.

Bogie.jpg

Joseph Cotten..often found in Orson Welles movies..

He was terrific in Shadow of a Doubt, the Third Man

He was of course in Citizen Kane, which I am also on the side of "its overrated"

But he did some cool horror toward the end of his career

Baron Blood, Lady Frankenstein (ok he must have needed the money)

He was in Latitude Zero , from the makers of Godzilla, and it is considered to be a good classic Japanese quasi-kaiji movie with American Actors, Cesar Romero was the bad guy

I didn't like it :(

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings