Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THREE DVD BOX SET HOUDINI: THE MOVIE STAR

mateo107

this set is definitely on my must-have list. i love that it includes all available footage of all his movies, and the DVD art looks great enough for stand-alone releases.

KINO INTERNATIONAL RELEASES THE THREE DVD BOX SET HOUDINI: THE MOVIE STAR

Kino International is proud to release a three DVD box set, HOUDINI: THE MOVIE STAR, collecting a 238-minute multi-part serial and three feature films starring the master of magic and escape Harry Houdini. Culled from film archives and private collections, this Kino DVD set includes all of Houdini?s surviving films as an actor, plus rare footage of actual handcuff and straitjacket escapes, and a wealth of historical information.

The four completed feature films in this box set are: THE MASTER MYSTERY (1919, 238 Min.), Houdini?s first true acting role, TERROR ISLAND (1920, 55 Min.), considered to be his most ambitious film production, THE MAN FROM BEYOND (1922, 68 Min.), featuring a breathtaking rescue above Niagara Falls and HALDANE OF THE SECRET SERVICE (1923, 84 Min.), a rare feature film finally mastered from a pristine 35mm print with the original color tints.

Also included in this set is the only surviving footage of Houdini?s THE GRIM GAME (1919, 5 Min.), in which the cameras captured two planes accidentally colliding in mid-air. This chilling footage forced director Irving Willat to re-write the film in order to incorporate the accident into the story.

In addition to filmed records of Houdini?s escapes, Kino has also gathered audio recordings of Houdini, excerpts from the NY Censor Board files, the illusion ?Metamorphosis? performed by Houdini?s brother Hardeen, multiple image galleries and other rare features. HOUDINI: THE MOVIE STAR box set has a prebook date of March 11, 2008, and will be available with a SRP of $39.95. The street date is set for April 8.

http://www.kino.com/video/news.php?news_id=59

mateo107,

Neat! Thanks much for posting this. I have only seen bit's and pieces of this footage, in some old documentaries, and compilations in the past.

Although I had heard about a forth-coming Harry Houdini movies DVD set for a long time, it didn't look like it was ever going to materialize? I am glad to learn that it is close to being completed!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings