Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

casablanca--first viewing

cinemajestic

now i truly know why this film has such devoted fans. in all honestly i tried twice these past few years to watch it and never got past the 20 minute mark. tonight i sat through one of the best films i have ever seen. i had no idea the film centered around a love story. that goes to show my shallow assumption that it was just about some war movie with an actor starring in it that i didn't quite gel with.

this film is so tightly directed for starters. not one scene was dragging nor was there any unneeded dialogue, it was perfect. may i add the editing? very well done. the flashback scene is what pulled me in to this film immediately. bogart and bergman were so convincing and once i got the notion this movie centered around their ill fated romance i knew i was in store for a great film. being my first time viewing this i have yet to digest all the wonderful one liners, the perfect casting and as someone pointed out to me in an earlier post the excellent writers of this film.

i have to say i leaned more towards more interest in claude rains character as he had some of the most memorable lines in my opinion. i'm going to paraphrase so i hope not to offend the diehard fans. "everyone out! this place is now closed, i'm shocked there is gambling here! then a man approaches and says "sir, your winnings". "thank you" says louie. !! i loved that! of course there are many many more quips and lines i must catch on my repeat viewing.

all four leads were perfect. the storyline captivating and as i watched this film i felt instinctively i was in store for an amazing climax and honestly did not know how it was going to end. i'm probably rambling as you all know the outcome but it is rare that a film comes across to me as flawless in respect to acting, writing, direction etc. this one succeeds. tomorrow i'm hitting best buy store and adding it to my collection.

yay! kimpunkrock-- loved it! now ironically the shoe is on the other foot. i remember friends telling me how great this film was and i shrugged it off no matter how hard they tried to convince me. come to think of it, i think the last line rick says is one of the most perfect endings to a movie though his "here's looking at you kid" as he cradles ilsa's chin gently is wonderful. see? i'm hooked already. sheesh

Wonderful to read your review of "CASABLANCA". I don't even remember the first time I saw the film so reading this was like looking at the movie for the first time. The movie was tight and cast so perfectly. Ingrid & Bogart...even a more perfect union than Bogart with Bacall. What a story..What a director...What a cast...WHAT A FILM. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

(Bergman always gets me).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings