• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Sin Of Madelon Claudet (1931)

kimpunkrock

The Sin Of Madelon Claudet (1931)

playing on TCM

Friday Feb 8th at 7:15 am est / 4:15 pst

This is a great pre-code film with a very young Robert Young. This is the story of Madelon Claudet, who gives up her son so that he can have a good life and go to medical school to become a doctor. Through a series of misfortunes, Madelon ends up with an illegitimate son and in prison for ten years. Outside of prison she turns to prostitution and thievery to put her son, who she gave up, through medical school.

Towards the end the mother and the son meet, although at first the son does not know that this poor, homeless street walker that needs medical attention is his mother, but....well I don't want to give the ending away.

I discovered this movie when the video store I buy my used videos from had it on sale for a dollar, only because nobody had rented it for years, not because the DVD came out. I had never heard of this film, but recognized the names of Lewis Stone, Helen Hayes and Robert Young. I really liked this film, it is a pre-code gem.

Everyone should either get up early or set your recorders for this wonderful 1932 Academy Award winner for best actress in a leading role- Helen Hayes, esp. if you enjoy the pre-codes.

cheers

kpr

I have 7 or more different versions of this same basic story. Some with a daughter and some with a son. All of them are pretty good.

The Claudet film.

One with Warren William who throws his wife out and keeps their son, who becomes a lawyer.

One in which the mother became a judge and her daughter eventually came into court.

Another with Kay Francis who goes to court for killing an ex-lover for seducing her daughter.

Another with Ruth Chatterton whose son becomes the DA who sends her to the gallows.

Another with Olivia de Havilland, whose son becomes a doctor or lawyer.

Another with Phillips Holmes who thinks Lewis Stone is his father, instead of Robert Young.

And a couple of others.

All of these films are very good.

Even though this film has a common theme (according to some of you), I really like this one mostly because it is a pre-code version of this story. Actually this film is the first film I saw with the theme of giving away a child and supporting them anyway. I really like Helen Hayes in this. She won the oscar. It is also cool to see a young Robert Young playing her son.

If you like pre-codes, set your recorders for this. It is not available on DVD.

-

kim

Friday Feb 8th at 7:15 am est / 4:15 pst

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings