Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Still Go To the Movies?

princessananka

Do you still go to the movies? I know so many film buffs who haven't set foot in a movie theater in years. They wait for the DVD.

I find it still thrilling to go to a movie with a big audience who can share my emotions. This was never more true than three recent ones I saw: ATONEMENT, NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN and and INTO THE WILDERNESS. When you watch a DVD in the comfort of your home, it's wonderful, too, but there's still no escaping the shared emotions of seeing a film on a big screen.

What do you think?

I still go to the movies, but at only a fraction of the rate I used to do so.

The two big factors are time and geography. I live in a town with no movie theaters. The closest theaters are 30 minutes away and 45 minutes away. The 30 minute distant theater has two screens and mostly shows animated "family" movies. So to see a movie like "No Country for Old Men" means that I have to plan on 90 minutes of travel time.

So seeing a "serious" movie is a big commitment of time for me, and since I have two jobs, I find it hard to swing it. Last year, I saw three movies that I didn't take my children to: "Zodiac," "The Lives of Others," and "Sweeny Todd." (I saw "Black Book" while I was on vacation.) I would have liked to have seen more, but I just couldn't swing it.

No I don't go to the movie theater really at all, but the Seattle Independent Film Festival (SIFF) has a theater downtown and starting on the 15th they are playing Film Noir double features from Friday the 15th to Thursday Feb. 21st (a different double feature each night). I am planning on attending a few days. This will be the first time I have been to the theater since I saw Capote (whenever it was in the theaters).

I am really excited to see High Sierra (one of my favorite Bogart films that had a HUGE affect on my formative years) on the big screen for the first time!! Also that night is The Hard Way with Ida Lupino.

To end the mini-fest is Conflict with Humphrey Bogart. This film is great and very suspenseful. It is also not available on DVD yet and hard to find on video. I am very stoked to see this on the big screen. The only times I have seen it is when TCM played it. Also playing the festival is:

Border Incident

Gun Crazy

Night and the City

Jeopardy

the Prowler

Moonrise

Night has a Thousand Eyes

Reign of Terror

Roadhouse

The Suspect

Some of these films I have on DVD or VHS but some of them I have never heard of. I wish could afford to go to all 7 nights and/or they had a discounted all event pass you could buy.

I really do want to go see the new Indiana Jones on screen, but I might just wait for it to come out on DVD.

Yes, but no where near as much as I used to. I really am not a big fan of Hollywood "blockbuster" formula films. I need to be pretty sure going in that script, direction, acting is gonna be "provocative", not necessarily first rate. Thats an awful lot of criteria to be guaranteed.

I feel the same way. I didn't see a new movie in a theater through all of '07 and when I did go it was to see a classic movie. Next Tuesday I get see *High Noon* on the big screen (as you already know April) and it just can't get here fast enough. It'll be my first Gary movie in a theater and it's one of my faves :):)

There are a couple new movies I am excited to see this year: *Indiana Jones* and *The Dark Knight*. I'm only excited about those b/c they are established franchises that I have enjoyed. The *Batman* movies took a nosedive after the second one but the latest one with Christian Bale (who is one of the only modern actors I like) got it back on track.

The last time I went to the movies was 1990. Saw ghost with Patrick Swayze. Just decided that

being in a theater sucked. That was before cell phones. Couldnt imagine how annoying it

must be to have those things going off in the middle of a movie.

Yes, I still go to the movies because there are movies that really need to be seen on the big screen to be fully appreciated.

Luckily, I live in a city where we have a moive theater that caters to the movie-goer and film buff.

>The last time I went to the movies was 1990.

The last time I went to a theater was 2000. I saw a Mormon film that I think only showed in Western theaters. I wanted to learn more about the majority population of my county.

Before that I saw Selena in 1997. A great ethnic bio film with a very sad ending.

Before that I saw Jurassic Park in a theater. Very good.

I can't remember before that, but I did see Star Wars in a theater and Apocalypse Now in a theater.

My outlet every week is to see a film at the movie theatre. The recent films that I have seen are juno, No Country For Old Men, Into The Wild, Charlie Wilson`s War, Enchanted, and Michael Clayton. The next movie on my list is There Will Be Blood. Yesterday I rented Away From Her from Blockbuster to see Julie Chrisitie`s Oscar nominated performance.

Yep, I've been going to & reviewing between 36 & 60 new releases per year since 1982

Which was also the yr I started-(DID LOUSY!) being an OSCAR Oddmaker/pundit I started young

However even prior to then my true passion lays with Hollywoods Golden age/Stuio-System-(circa 1925-1960)

Yep, I've been going to & reviewing between 36 & 60 new releases per year since 1982

Which was also the yr I started-(DID LOUSY!) being an OSCAR Oddsmaker/pundit I started young

However even prior to then my true passion lays with Hollywoods Golden age/Studio-System-(circa 1925-1960) It's not just that the performers were greater & larger than life Writers were more well-read people & the lack of tv also helped in making *The King: Gable, *"The Great: Tracy, *Coop, *Bogie, *K. Hepburn, *B. Davis & of course>Garbo! & a handful of others seem so Plus, I do think they had an edge, possibly due to "The Essembly Line" training & of corse playing "The Boards!"

Tom Cruise or a B. Pitt can be good, but match them up to likes of>*Gable-(a limited actor, but his prescense put him over

Message was edited by: myidolspencer

Message was edited by: myidolspencer

I love going to the movies. There is nothing better than seeing a film on the big screen with the great theater sound. My hubby and I go about twice a month, depending on our schedules. We tend to go more around the holidays, because we have time off, and that's when a lot of Oscar contenders are released, and in the summertime because the big popcorn films are fun.

If there was a theatre in Cleveland that showed classic films, I'd be there! As it is, there is a 2 week period in August when classic films are shown at the Palace Theatre downtown. I usually try to go, but the last couple of years, they've been showing films that were more modern--1970's and 1980's. Although, I did go to see THIS IS SPINAL TAP there. Sometimes, the art museum or art institute shows classics, too. But it's not like The Film Forum in NYC.

Sandy K

The movies that really knocked me out this year were all seen in movie theaters. They were NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, ATONEMENT, INTO THE WILD, AWAY FROM HER and THERE WILL BE BLOOD (Yes, Frank Grimes, I was hoping you had seen this one). I don't think their power will be anything on DVD compared to seeing these movies on the big screen.

Since I love musicals, I went and saw HAIRSPRAY and ACROSS THE UNIVERSE many times. Yet, when I got them on DVD last week, their power was nothing compared to when I saw them with an audience.

Living in New York City part of the year (the other part is living in North Carolina) I was lucky in seeing all the great movie classics in the revival houses--nearly which all have vanished because of the private home entertainment centers that nearly everyone now has. But seeing screen legends on the big screens showed me their power and why they've been so beloved--like Clara Bow, Garbo, Bette Davis, Valentino, etc. They really did have faces back then.

This is a photo of the Warner Theater in Torrington, Connecticut. It used to be a movie theater way back when, then became more of a concert place. Recently, they have begun showing some old movies on occasion, such as DRACULA and FRANKENSTEIN at Halloween, and IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE around Christmas.

Picture001.jpg

No. The reason being I don't feel that most of today's films are worth the money you must pay to see them.

kimpunkrock- Last year our local library initiated Film Noir Friday Nights. My husband and I go every week and the place is always packed. It is wonderful to view these films the way they were intended to be seen. On the big screen, surrounded by an audience. The feedback adds to the experience, believe me. Have a great time!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings