Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Metropolisforever

Blood Feast (1963) - Shocking! Appalling! Drenched in BLOOD COLOR!

Has anyone seen this?

It is a low budget horror film about an insane Egyptian caterer who kills people so that he can include their body parts in his meals and perform sacrifices to his "Egyptian goddess" Ishtar (although the deity in question is actually Babylonian). Blood Feast immediately became notorious for its explicit blood, gore and violence. Many people consider its most infamous moment to be when the murderer rips out a young woman's tongue on camera, an effect achieved with fake blood and a sheep's tongue. Blood Feast was also one of the first films to show people dying with their eyes open.

It was the first "splatter film". It was very graphic by 1960's standards.

It was directed by Herschell Gordon Lewis, a filmmaker best known for creating the "splatter film" subgenre of horror. He is often called the "Godfather of Gore", though his film career included works in a range of genres, including juvenile delinquent films, rural-themed comedies, nudie-cuties, and even two children's films.

I think Blood Feast should be played on TCM Underground.

Hi there,

Love "Blood Feast"! We've always wanted to air Herschell Gordon Lewis movies on Underground - I think there might be S&P issues, however, with a lot of them. Still maybe trying to work that out for the future...

Thanks!

Metro, you young whippersnapper!

Just wait until you get old and have had enough experiences in life so that you really do worry about some crazy guy who is working in the kitchen of your favorite local restaurant. I?ll give you one warning in advance.... never buy home-made hot tamales from a roadside vendor in a town that has no cats.

I think it was actually a sheep tongue. I remember reading a book on this film, and Lewis commented on how calm and patient the girl was to hold this nasty decaying tongue in her mouth for retakes so they could get the shot just right. It even creeped him out.