Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Verdict - starring Paul Newman

jerrybelief

jerrybelief, Great movie, nice words. Unfortunately that doesn't sound like the attorneys I know.

My favorite quote from 'The Verdict' is from Ed Concannon (James Mason) - "You're not paid to do your best. You're paid to win". Implying that 'Winning' is above all things, including justice. Now, that sounds more like the attorneys I know.

I apologise to any honest lawyers out there. But I rate lawyers far, far below Garbage Collectors. After all, collecting garbage is a clean honest job.

Rant over.

Regards

True. He lost to Ben Kingsley>>

And many of us are still scratching our heads about that one. But Oscar loves bio-pics and Oscar loves British accents more than, it seems, actors, playing alcoholic lawyers, who give the performance of their lives.

Kim - so glad someone else saw a real truth in this film. I didn't know that it was a 'comeback film' for him - 1982 as you said. I am ashamed to admit that I didn't know that this drama was originated by Sidney Lumet. Wasn't Jack Warden's performance also fantastic?

Another view that was just given on Message Boards is the feeling that most lawyers are all about money and that they are not to be trusted. I freely and respecfully accept that thought as true in some cases - but, Lord, my heart wants to believe that there are "Frank Galvins" in the profession who are really capable of caring about their clients.

I think "Message Boards" is totally cool; just maybe it can help us all to grow!

jerry belief

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings