Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pan's Labyrinth

virginia1995

I saw this movie a week or two again and was really disapointed. I thought that pan's labyrinth would be a movie mainly about the world Opheilia was in, but it wasn't, it was mostly about the communists..etc. I was really disapointed in the film and I wondered if anyone agreed.

The most wonderful part of the movie are the very many parallels between the "imaginary" world and the situation under the Spanish Civil War. That's what makes it such an amazing movie, with a lot of different layers of meaning that sometimes take repeat viewings to appreciate.

P.S. They were fascists, not communists.

I think it can only be disappointing if you have unrealistically high expectations. Thematically and visually, it's one of the richest movies of recent years, regardless of language.

Most people familiar with Guillermo's films would probably have a pretty good idea of what to expect.

• 2 weeks later...

PL was a disappointment. It seemed a bit trite. Not entirely without merit though. Technically it was great. I liked "The Devil's Backbone" much better. A better story, and the magic realism aspect of the film was not exagerrated, unusual for this type of film, it seems to me. I thought it a classy film.

I wonder if anyone will ever make a movie that everyone, without exception, will like and not be lost on anyone. If so, then FF will not be able to say, "So sad the many qualities of the movie were lost on you," without even mentioning what any of those qualities are or even why he/she even liked it.

Look, on any given year there will be a good number of not-so-great foreign-language movies playing on U.S. theaters, and I would agree that word-of-mouth helps keep a lot of people from buying tickets for movies they aren't very likely to enjoy.

Unfortunately, the reverse can also happen, occasionally there will be one or two people saying they don't understand what's so great about a movie that has enjoyed great reception not just critically but also by most moviegoers and even by the Academy (which I agree isn't always so good at recognizing the best foreign-language films).

I'm not putting down your opinion just because you didn't enjoy one of the most popular and best-received foreign-language movies of 2006, I'm actually sincerely sorry that you weren't able to enjoy it a bit more.

I hope you aren't offended by my wishing that you will actually enjoy the foreign-language movies that you decide to watch.

• 7 months later...

"I wonder if anyone will ever make a movie that everyone, without exception, will like and not be lost on anyone"

I think what you're looking for is a commercial.

Personally I thought Pan's Labyrinth was a beautiful film, and I usually can't stand cgi. But the director used it in support of the story so it was ok. A child cannot rationally explain an event, they haven't the experience to explain it, so they use their imagination to try to figure out what is happening. What's disappointing about the search for understanding?

• 11 months later...

"Pan Labrynth" was not a political film. They used the Spanish Civil War as a backdrop to tell the story but the story itself could've taken place at any time. Just like "Gone with the Wind" could've used the back drop of WWI. All periods of time are "Gone with the Wind"......some people just didn't get it.

"I wonder if anyone will ever make a movie that everyone, without exception, will like and not be lost on anyone"

Lafitte

There is no universal agreement on any subject in the known universe.

?May you become wise.?

An ancient and terrible Druidic curse, because, of course, the getting of wisdom is always painful.

Best wishes

Metry Road

>"I wonder if anyone will ever make a movie that everyone, without exception, will like and not be lost on anyone" ---Lafitte

>There is no universal agreement on any subject in the known universe.

You missed the irony, that's what I was saying. If you read above, someone said, "I'm sorry the movie was lost on you," and my response, in essence, is what you said, that there is no universal agreement and by implication to each his own. One should be able to express an opinion about something without having to hear, "it's lost on you," which comes across a little rude and disregards what we both seem to agree upon above, that each of us have our own perceptions, i.e., no universal agreement.

Best Wishes,

Laffite

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings