Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

what is your fav courtroom drama?

bio47

The Young Philadelphians, though I still don't understand how the case would have been resolved if Richard Deacon hadn't been thirsty on the witness stand. Also Confession, Witness for the Prosecution, and, above all, the sort of courtroom scene at the end of Stanley and Livingstone.

Hi, Deleterious Di! -- FeraciousFrank

You might run into some objections with that one.

Shoot!

Hey! Watch it now! I better tell the deputy about that garter gun of yours.

Claude: Yes, and I'd like to point out that this tape has not been tampered

with or edited in any way. It even has a time code on it, and those are very difficult to fake.

Judge: For the benefit of the court, will you please explain, "time code"?

Claude: Just because I don't know what it is doesn't mean I'm lying.

Some fine movies cited (by posters feracious and delitirious). A fascinating concept. TWELVE ANGRY MEN is amazing. So small and enclosed, yet quite powerful. ANATOMY OF A MURDER one of the best examples. Striking characters with rythmic dialogue. Who can challenge TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD? One of the great American novels, ably filmed. May I throw in CAINE MUTINY? It's much more than legal theatrics. I'd argue that's not even the best part. But it's a darn good movie, and it qualifies for discussion.

I'm going to go with INHERIT THE WIND. (No, not the gastro-intestinal condition I owe my father!) A favorite play since childhood, I can't get enough of this provocative drama. Love the characters. Love the actors. Tracy's best work, and that's saying a lot. A good adaptation of a great play, the story boils to nail-biting climax without ever looking back. And not a car chase, gunfight or super hero in sight! Very good stuff!

RR

>I'm going to go with INHERIT THE WIND

I liked it too, up until the time when I bought a book copy of the actual transcript of the 1925 Scopes trial. In the real trial, Darrow sounded like an idiot and Bryan was the intelligent hero. The transcript would make a great movie, but I'm pretty sure Hollywood will never make it.

>Have not seen "They Won't Forget"....gonna have to check that one out.

It is a very good movie and a rare classic that is occasionally shown on TCM.

The story is roughly based on a real case that took place in Georgia in 1914. As a result, there was a long era of great tension between two different ethnic groups of people, and this was a highly political/social movie that has a lot of background information about it that is never told. The background can?t be told without a lot of people getting upset, even today.

Anyway, Claude Rains does a magnificent job of acting, especially in the courtroom scenes as the evil District Attorney. I figure he was so good because he really wanted this particular DA to seem as evil as possible. Lana Turner is very good as the young school girl, and this was her first film.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings