Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bio47

New here and wondering your fav foreign film.

This may have been asked before. I just joined this past weekend and did not know of this section until today.

I hope to see answer...the memories I read in posts give me good memories.

My fav foreign film is A Beautiful Life. But completely going in opposite direction is of all things La Cage Aux Folles. That lead's performance is my all time fav comedy performance ever. When the film came out it broke foreign box office records. I loved it.

Name yours. Thanks Robert

Truffauts'" The 400 Blows" and "Day for Night"... Fellinis' " 8 1/2"... Almodovar's " Talk to Her"

Wages of Fear, 8 1/2, Bicycle Thieves, Wings of Desire, Wild Strawberries, Fanny and Alexander, Diabolique, Cinema Paradiso

I really haven't seen nearly enough foreign-language films to make a legitimate list, but here are my favorites so far:

1. M

2. Nosferatu

3. Faust

4. Ossessione

5. Le Corbeau

My mind says Renoir's The Rules of the Game, my heart says Erice's The Spirit of the Beehive, my eyes say Mizoguchi's Ugetsu, my--- Ah shotyomouth!!

I must see more of the foreign classics, thanks for the titles guys. Did anyone like John Cocteau's "La Belle et la b?te"?

Film Fatale, is "Simon Del Desierto" one of Sylvia Pinal's films? I might have recorded this one but haven't watched it yet.

My list of favorite films is not necessarily the same as my list of the greatest films. Here are a few of my favorites.

- Kurasawa: The Seven Samurai, The Hidden Fortress

- Renoir: Rules of the Game, Boudu Saved from Drowning

- Jean Vigo: L'Atalante

- Kieslowski: Tricolors, The Double Life of Veronique, The Dekalog

- Lina Wertmuller: Swept Away... by an unusual destiny in the blue sea of August

- Jean-Jacques Beineix: Diva

- Marcel Carn?: Children of Paradise

- Bergman: The Virgin Spring

- Max Oph?ls: The Earrings of Madame de...

- Rohmer: Six Moral Tales, Pauline at the Beach

- Fassbinder: Katzelmacher

- Ang Lee: Eat Drink Man Woman, The Wedding Banquet

If you count UK as foreign

- Peter Webber: Girl With a Pearl Earring

- Roman Polanski: Repulsion

--

Terry Wallace

Film Fatale, is "Simon Del Desierto" one of Sylvia Pinal's films? I might have recorded this one but haven't watched it yet.

Yes, it stars Claudio Brook and Silvia Pinal. (Silvia is generally spelled with two "i's" in Spanish-speaking countries). It was shown on TCM not too long ago, and is not currently available on R1 DVD.

Have you seen her as a con artist in "La Hermana Trinquete"? It's funny how she's able to deceive everyone that comes across her path.

Have you seen her as a con artist in "La Hermana Trinquete"? It's funny how she's able to deceive everyone that comes across her path.

No, I can't say that I have. Yet. But she was good in Mame (LatAm stage production).

*The Passion of Joan of Arc* heads the list, but also:

*M*

*The Last Laugh*

*The Grand Illusion*

*A Man Escaped*

*The Earrings of Madame de...*

*Le Samourai*

*Damnation*

*Bicycle Thieves*

*La belle et la bete*

*Wages of Fear*

*Ikiru*

*Tokyo Story*

*Sansho the Bailiff*

*Aguirre, the Wrath of God*

*Wings of Desire*

*Ali: Fear Eats the Soul*

*Open City*

*Battleship Potemkin*

and on and on and....

I notice that "Bicycle Thieves" is no longer "The Bicycle Thief." Leonard Maltin notes that the Criterion Collection people use the original translation, the plural, and he has adopted that title in his 2008 edition. Well, you can't argue with the original, but, in a way, it's too bad. A certain irony is lost with the plural.

spoiler

During the course of the movie, we think we know who the bicycle thief is ... but by movie's end we may have another idea. In a literal way, the plural version almost gives us a piece of information we don't really know (i.e, there may be more than one, etc)

But, no biggie (I guess) ...