Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is Botox "Paralyzing" the Close-Up?

MissGoddess

I thought this article (below) was very interesting, and I wish more like it would appear. I first noticed the damage this super popular wrinkle eliminator does to a performance, years ago in Cold Mountain. In all the hype about the movie no one seemed to notice what a wax-works dummy Nicole Kidman's appearance had started to resemble. With her frozen, swollen face she looked more out of place in the old South than Linda Evan's "Audra Barkley" did in The Big Valley! I beileve she is the actress alluded to in the article, but not mentioned by name.

The writer compares actresses like Marilyn Monroe and even the latest Oscar favorites from England, to the Hollywood A-listers who are sacrificing their main "tool" as performers: the ability to convey expression (and this includes actors---men are increasingly resorting to Botox injections as well, with always scary results):

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/johann-hari-botox-is-destroying-hollywood-stars-ability-to-act-779102.html

I like one thing they said about Tommy Lee Jones' appearance in *No Country for Old Men*.

*Yet in this movie, the lines and crevices on the forehead of Tommy Lee Jones are as rugged as the Texas desert his sheriff character patrols. With imperceptibly tiny movements of these crags of skin, he can convey pain and panic and grief.*

This reminded me of Gary in *High Noon*. They purposely did not put a lot of makeup on him so his real face with all its lines,wrinkles, and emotions would show through. I've got not problem with actors/actresses having a little work done here and there but when it becomes obvious that's when it's gone too far. If you constantly look surprised for example, then it's probably time to layoff the facelifts ;). Like they said too, with Botox, you can't move your face and if you just look blank and emotionless, then you're not able to fully act.

This has more to do with publicity photos, but quite often they will change a person's appearance in those too and they end up looking strange. A few years ago a pic of Kate Winslet appeared in a magazine and she was outraged b/c they airbrushed her legs to make them look a lot smaller. She was by no means fat and looked great in the original pics. She looked unlifelike in the airbrushed ones. I also have a promo pic of Gary from *Unconquered* made when he would have been around 46. Somebody went airbrush happy on that one big time b/c nearly every line and wrinkle is gone and it looks more like a pic of a wax figure than an actual person. It's one of the only pics of him I don't like b/c it doesn't really look like him. It's a real shame too b/c it's a color pic :(.

This reminded me of Gary in High Noon. They purposely did not put a lot of makeup on him so his real face with all its lines,wrinkles, and emotions would show through.

I love the way it looks like a man's personal history is written in every line. He looks as though he's actually lived. He's had close contact with life, not simply glided through it, pillowed from its realities.

I've got not problem with actors/actresses having a little work done here and there but when it becomes obvious that's when it's gone too far. If you constantly look surprised for example, then it's probably time to layoff the facelifts . Like they said too, with Botox, you can't move your face and if you just look blank and emotionless, then you're not able to fully act.

I agree! And the funny thing is that if you just make a little more effort you can look way younger without resorting to too many lifts or injections. But a lot of these people want "short-cut" to looking young. ;) Ironically, they just end up calling attention to the fact that they are old because of the obviousness of the "work". It's distracting, too, because you end up only focusing on what they've had done than on what they are saying or doing in a scene. I've noticed this increasingly.

A few years ago a pic of Kate Winslet appeared in a magazine and she was outraged b/c they airbrushed her legs to make them look a lot smaller. She was by no means fat and looked great in the original pics. She looked unlifelike in the airbrushed ones.

The press really seem to resent her for not becoming a "stick insect". Of course, it may only be a matter of time. I used to think Catherine Zeta Jones was one of the few hold-outs but she had major liposculpture and implants done recently and in my opinion, it's made her look "unlifelike", too.

I also have a promo pic of Gary from Unconquered made when he would have been around 46. Somebody went airbrush happy on that one big time b/c nearly every line and wrinkle is gone and it looks more like a pic of a wax figure than an actual person. It's one of the only pics of him I don't like b/c it doesn't really look like him.

That is a shame because he looks fabulous in Unconquered! I mean, that's the chief reason I watch that movie! :D

A sexily swarthy and belined Gary Cooper:

Coopswarthy.jpg?t=1202416323

I'm drooling all over my keyboard!! That is one of my fave pics of Gary. He does look great in *Unconquered*, and he looks like a man his age should. I don't wanna see a bunch of 40 something year old men who still look 20. It just isn't natural.

Hola, Coop's Girl -- I don't wanna see a bunch of 40 something year old men who still look 20. It just isn't natural.

And women always go with the natural look, right?

Hi, Miss Full Of It -- I'll say! 40 is just when many of them start to look interesting.

Yeah, right. Someone has been, ummm, adding a little more to their tea than usual today.

You also seem to be focusing on the face a lot.

*And women always go with the natural look, right?*

I already said that it doesn't look good on them either :). I hate that look where a woman constantly looks surprised b/c her eyebrows are up near her hairline.

*You also seem to be focusing on the face a lot.*

With faces like this out there, how can you not?

Picture42-1.jpg

Oh dear! It just amazes me that people with the money to at least get a good plastic surgeon walk out seemingly happy with these botched jobs. I have to say the South American surgeons are much, much more skillful than the L.A. ones. Maybe because, believe it or not, they have far more practice. Though we're catching up.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings