• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JEANNE CRAIN DIES

catcarson123

Movies - AP

Oscar-Nominated Actress Jeanne Crain Dies

1 hour, 4 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - Jeanne Crain, the winsome beauty who starred in lightweight 1940s romances and comedies and won an Academy Award nomination as the black girl passing for white in the controversial "Pinky," has died. She was 78.

Crain died of a heart attack at her Santa Barbara home early Sunday morning, according to her son, Paul Brinkman Jr. She appeared in 64 films and many television shows during her long career, playing opposite such stars as Frank Sinatra (news), Kirk Douglas (news) and William Holden (news).

With her lovely features, slender, appealing figure and demure, feminine manner, she became a leading star in the wartime and postwar years. For faraway GI's she seemed the ideal girl back home. At 20th Century-Fox studio, her fan mail was second only to pin-up queen Betty Grable.

Crain's 1943 movie debut followed the Hollywood cliche: she appeared in a swimming suit beside a pool in the all-star "The Gang's All Here." She was elevated to leading roles in her next films ? "Home in Indiana," "In the Meantime, Darling." "Winged Victory" and "State Fair," which featured Rodgers and Hammerstein's only original score for a movie.

I really liked Miss Crain. To me, she was like Loretta Young, she may not have been the best actress around, but she did some good films. Besides, you wasn't too bad looking either!! I just love "Dangerous Crossing" and have the original poster hanging on my wall.

I recently saw the fresh faced pretty girl Jeanne Crain in "A Letter to Three Wives" on Fox Movie Channel. She was also a treat in "Margie", "Cheaper by the Dozen", "The Model and the Marriage Broker" and in my favorite segment in "O. Henry's Full House" etc.

Mongo

Jeanne Crain was a pretty big star / leading lady from the mid 1940s to mid 1950s. Many of her films were very popular. I only read about her death on the internet. I didn't see anything on television. Was there anything on TV? What about the 24 hour news stations? If they had anything it wasn't much. Maybe they had something on the early morning news shows. News 24 hours a day and they don't even talk about a popular actress, all they seem to talk about is politics & who's hot right now.

Archived