Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Canadian Viewers Screwed Again!

skimpole

This evening I found that though it has been on the schedule since November, and it had been part of the Canadian schedule since December, and even though my local newspaper said it was going to be on this week, "Lolita" has been replaced by "Goodbye Mr. Chips." I can't begin to say how annoyed I am at this. Already this month we Canadians have had to accept we can't see "2001", "The Lord of the Rings: the Return of the King," "Who Framed Roger Rabbit," "Se7en," " "L.A. Confidential." Now this "Lolita" is taken away from us, and at the last minute!

And it just keeps getting better. "Lolita" is being re-run in April, but we Canadians don't get to see it. I was looking forward to seeing "The Trial" in April, but with perfect timing the programming department must have realized I wanted to see it and snatched it away. It's certainly not because Canadian broadcasters are champing at the bit to run these movies, since they haven't been broadcasted in Canada for months.

And oh yes, the substitutions: "2001" gets replaced with "The Shoes of the Fisherman;" "Lolita" with "Goodbye Mr. Chips" (not the original 1939 oscar winner but the sixties musical remake that a reactionary Academy nominated for best Actor); "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" with "My Favorite Year," "The Return of the King" with "The Great Ziegfeld," "The Trial" is replaced with some forgotten Clark Gable picture, while "Lolita" in April gets replaced with something called "The Treasure of Pancho Villa." And for the people who complain about having to see "LA Confidential," you'd be happy to live in Canada: we get the umpteenth showing of "Ben-Hur." Does anyone really think these subsitutions are remotely equivalent in quality? It would be really nice if someone explained why specific movies had to be changed (and not just the vague broadcasting rights issue, I mean specific reasons for each movie). And it would be even better if some thought were given to replacing the movies. If Canada and the United States have to have slightly different schedules, it would be nice if it didn't consist of Canada being given the dregs of the TCM library.

The problem is that some other channels in Canada owned the rights to those other movies, so TCM was not able to show them in your country. It is all about licensing. TCM is not doing it deliberately to **** off our neighbors to the north. It is not their fault. All of those movies you mentioned are on DVD and have been for years.

I absolutely agree with you. When the schedule for 31 Days of Oscars came out, I went through the whole list and wrote down several movies I wanted to see and now not one of them are being shown in Canada! I am so dissappointed. I love old movies and really look forward to them. Anyone in the U.S. want to tape them and ship them to me? Even my the video stores are all switching to DVD and alot of the old movies, especially the not so famous ones are not available, so TCM is one of my favourite stations... until this happens. I too have have wanted to see Lolita aand Notorious... but no. We are still getting North by Northwest but why not Notorious or Some Like It Hot???

• 4 weeks later...

Continuing this thread, I've found out that Canadians don't get to see "King Lear," but are stuck with the 30s version of "A Midsummer's night's dream." To be frank, I find it hard to believe that there are broadcasting issues that prevent people from seeing it. I mean the Peter Brooks version isn't even on video, let alone DVD, as far as I know it. Certainly in the past 15 years I've never seen a Canadian station broadcast it. I really wonder what these strange broadcasting issues are. And it does seem that TCM is just going out of its way to remove everything from the Canadian schedule that I might be interested in: "Lolita," "King Lear," "Zabriskie Point," "The Trial," and "The Apu Trilogy."

I'll record all those movies & send you them in the mail. pm me with a list of titles & a mailing address. Canadians are great people. Years ago I called a guy in Canada I did not even know to record stuff off CBC & he did it! I'd like to return the favor if I may. be happy to.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings