Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Twentieth Centruy (1934)

kimpunkrock

This is supposedly the first ever screwball/slapstick comedy. I am not sure if it is but this movie is really awesome and should be an essential. Starring Carol Lombard and John Barrymore, this 1934 romp is about a successful Broadway producer who directs Lombard into romance and super-stardom. Well as the old story goes, the girl becomes more successful than her mentor and the mentor has many creditors and off they both go on the 20th Century Limited train.

This movie is great and I do not remember ever seeing it on TCM, I own the video. This would be one of my essentials if I ever got to pick.

thoughts? Comments?

-

kpr

Funny you mention Twentieth Century tonight. It is still resting in my VCR. This is one of the films I can put in and enjoy at anytime.

Besides the two stars, I love the boat-shaped bed, Oliver and Owen (Roscoe Karns and Walter Connolly) and the dialogue. ("I close the iron door on you!" / "Sadie, I've only got an hour to live. Get me a bottle of gin")

I have never seen it on TCM. It is long overdue to be seen here.

Kyle In Hollywood

My capsule review:

20th CENTURY (Howard Hawks/USA/1934)

-"Is Oscar on this train? You'd better tell me."

-"Right in there. The Little Corporal is returning from another Moscow, his head bloodied but still unbowed."

The career of egomaniac Broadway producer Oscar Jaffe takes a slide after Lily, his star actress, tires of his antics and heeds the call of Hollywood. A few years later, Oscar and Lily are both passengers on the titular train. He vows to do anything to re-sign his temperamental, former star. John Barrymore and Carole Lombard were at the top of their game in this hilarious screwball farce based on a brilliant Hecht/MacArthur play. Howard Hawks was the most versatile director in the history of cinema; he made masterpieces in just about every movie genre. 20th Century is as memorable as the better-known comedies that followed, such as His Girl Friday and Bringing Up Baby.

"TCM has run a number of Columbia films since the start of 2007, and perhaps this one will turn up soon."

In December, it ran Carole Lombard's first film at Columbia, "Virtue" (1932), so unless it and "Twentieth Century" are in different film packages, I would think "Twentieth Century" would air in the near future...perhaps TCM is waiting for October, the month of the centennial of Carole's birth.

• 2 weeks later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings