Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

late 1960's movie: 2 angels who have a chance to reunite on earth

granddadsgirl

Mid to late 1960's I saw a black and white movie about 2 adolecent angels that are sent to earth to be born. A girl and a boy. They are in love with each other and are afraid they will never know each other again when they leave heaven. They are given a chance to be together again on earth of only they meet again before they reach a specific age. I would like to know the name of this classic if anyone might know. I don't know when the movie was made. I was about 9 when I first watched it.

This is definitely the right movie, but not the same characters. I was hoping to find the original that I watched with my grand dad in 1960's. It was one of our favorites, but maybe the newer version will be just as good. At least now I know the name. Thank you so much. Thanks to the others who tried to help also.

• 3 weeks later...

You are right. This film was in black and white. In the scenes in heaven they did not where street cloths, they wore Grecian style gowns. I believe the girl had blond hair, shoulder length, soft waves. They even appeared to be in clouds playing. There were mostly children, not adults. When they were sent to earth, they became babies to new parents. Thanks for trying. I wish I knew the name!

Message was edited by: granddadsgirl

• 3 weeks later...

The film is "The Blue Bird" (1940) with Shirley Temple and Johnny Russell. You are thinking of the unborn-children sequence near the end of the film. In search of the bluebird of happiness, Shirley and Johnny end up in a Heaven-like gallery in the future, where children in Grecian-style tunics wait to be born. Some of them have very clear ideas about what they want to be doing; one is very clearly going to be Dr. Crawford Long, who pioneered modern-day anaesthesia for surgery. Queen Victoria and Abraham Lincoln are there too. A tiny girl says she will be Shirley and Johnny's sister but will live only a few years. There is a young couple who are passionately in love. He's about to leave for earth; by the time she's set to go, he will be dead. This was shown repeatedly on local television in the 1960s. It was color but you may have seen it on a b/w tv.

"Made in Heaven" was released in 1987 and I like to think it's the same couple although the story is different. Here, you find out their names (Michael and Anna) and they do meet briefly in heaven after his death but then she's born on earth and he demands to be allowed to reincarnate to locate her. God consents and gives him 30 years to find her.

ETA: I tried to look for a screenshot of the unborn children sequence but couldn't find one. However, I did find a Youtube someone had put up, with background music by Neil Young -- who appears in "Made in Heaven"! Here it is:

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings