Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MONTY

Bronxgirl48

Hi, FG! Yes, I'm a big fan. I'm sort of "rediscovering" him after several viewings of RED RIVER (which for now is my favorite western) and I can only imagine how exciting it must have been for 1948 audiences to see this new type of actor -- introspective, soulful, with a postwar youthful charisma. He is one of our greatest American actors.

I've seen along with RR, A PLACE IN THE SUN, FROM HERE TO ETERNITY, THE HEIRESS (I highly recommend this superb Wyler production), FREUD, SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER, THE MISFITS, RAINTREE COUNTY, and JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG.

Hi, BG! -- I'm sort of "rediscovering" him after several viewings of RED RIVER (which for now is my favorite western) and I can only imagine how exciting it must have been for 1948 audiences to see this new type of actor -- introspective, soulful, with a postwar youthful charisma. He is one of our greatest American actors.

I didn't know Red River was your favorite western right now. I really liked Red River when I first saw it. It was one of the first pre-60s westerns I watched, so it opened a door for me. The film has slowly slid on my favorite westerns list, but I still like it tremendously. The ending to the film is the weakest part, although I don't mind it. I consider it to be a fools' realization sparked by a woman.

I love how you described Montgomery Clift as "introspective and soulful." That's definitely Clift. Some women go for that kind of man while some prefer the more outwardly emotional. What's great about Red River is that you get both the inward (Clift) and the outward (John Wayne) of male emotion. It's perfect.

Red River is primarily a father-son relationship film but I also believe it to be a film about the power of woman over man. Joanne Dru's "Tess" is the key ingredient. Without her, there's trouble.

I've seen along with RR, A PLACE IN THE SUN, FROM HERE TO ETERNITY, THE HEIRESS (I highly recommend this superb Wyler production), FREUD, SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER, THE MISFITS, RAINTREE COUNTY, and JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG.

I've only seen Red River, A Place in the Sun, The Misfits, and I Confess. I like all four films, although I REALLY like the first three.

redriver41.jpg

redriver36.jpg

redriver37.jpg

redriver35.jpg

redriver39.jpg

redriver40.jpg

redriver38.jpg

redriver31.jpg

redriver32.jpg

redriver33.jpg

redriver34.jpg

redriver42.jpg

redriver43.jpg

redriver44.jpg

redriver45.jpg

redriver46.jpg

redriver47.jpg

redriver48.jpg

That's perfect what you said about the inner and outer man, Clift and Wayne respectively, in RED RIVER. Joanne Dru is not one of my favorite actresses, and truthfully I can't STAND her as Tess.

And I just saw SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON today and she was even WORSE. She can't hold a candle to Coleen Gray in looks and acting ability.

Put THE HEIRESS next on your Monty list; you won't be sorry.

Monty's lookin' good there.

BUT NO JOANNE, ugh!

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Howdy, Boca Cowgirl, Ma'am -- That's perfect what you said about the inner and outer man, Clift and Wayne respectively, in RED RIVER.

As a guy, I tend to gravitate to the inner man more but I know many women prefer the outer man. That's all right, I tend to like the crazy girls over the composed ones.

Put THE HEIRESS next on your Monty list; you won't be sorry.

Really? That's the Monty film you believe would float my boat?

Joanne Dru is not one of my favorite actresses, and truthfully I can't STAND her as Tess.

And I just saw SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON today and she was even WORSE. She can't hold a candle to Coleen Gray in looks and acting ability.

Joanne isn't a dynamic actress, that's for sure. Her "Tess" was very one-dimensional and on the predictable side, although I still liked her for some reason. I did like her little show and tell for the Duke. Now that's acting!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings