Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who's singing Mack the Knife

gwtwbooklover

cinemafan -

The minute you mentioned Lyle Lovett, I knew that was the answer to the end title question.

Singer Lyle Lovett is crooning "Mack The Knife" over the End Credits. If the Bobby Darin recording is also listed in the credits of the film, then that "Mack The Knife" must appear earlier in the film. And it may be just a short snippet of the recording. These days, any recording that is heard in a film will be listed in the end credits.

{I just stuck in my copy and Bobby Darin is singing "Mack The Knife" under the Opening Credits.}

And 'gwtwbooklover', Lyle Lovett is a pretty talented singer/songwriter. (He is the guy with the strange haircut that dated Julia Roberts back in the 90s.) Check Him Out.

Kyle In Hollywood

Message was edited by: hlywdkjk to add the Opening Credits Info.

Kyle, I've already taped over my "Quiz Show" tape (great movie), but I remember Bobby Darin singing "Mack the Knife" over the end credits, then it changed to Lyle Lovett singing "Moritat".

This is over my head, so I went to threepennyopera.org, and apparently, "Moritat" is the German word for the song "Mack the Knife".(complete title appears to be "Die Moritat von Mackie Messer". Lyle may have been singing the complete song, and maybe some of it in German. At the threepenny website, you are able to listen to many versions of "Mack" including Lyle's.

(threepenny opera - now that's a big subject) the things we learn here! and sometimes have to unlearn if more info is unearthed. cinemafan

cinemafan -

Thanks for the additional info.

I didn't read the credits - but I kow that Lyle Lovett is singing at the end of the movie under the shots of the studio audience. And the tempo of the Lyle Lovett rendition is very close to the original theatrical style of the song. It should start out close to waltz time and have a plaintive tone.

Thanks for letting me know that the song is credited as "Moritat" in the credits also. I knew that was the German Title of "Mack The Knife" as a very dear friend was in a New York/Broadway Revival of "Threepenny Opera" and got to open the show singing "Moritat". This was the 1970s Public Theater revival with Raul Julia. (Does 'threepenny.org' have that recording available online?) His version is even played on the digital cable "Showtunes" music channel on occasion. (R.I.P Roy!)

Kyle In Hollywood

Thanks everyone for the info-So it is Lyle Lovett singing it well I knew it couldn't be Darin's voice. Just wondering does Darin's son sing? I am a little familiar with Lovett I wish I could hear a song of his he sang with the paraphrased lines as follows...God may forgive you and that's the difference between him and me......

Kyle, it doesn't have Raul Julia singing, but it does ask for suggestions to add to the versions.

According to imdb, there was a film made in l990 with Raul Julia and a cast of very interesting co-stars. It's called "Mack the Knife". (Now I have to see Threepenny Opera somehow)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings