Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The $200 Question.

hlywdkjk

All right everyone. Here's a different question.

If you had a $200 gift certificate to spend at the TCM Shopping site, what would you spend it on? I am looking for some suggestions of things unique, overlooked or are "great values" on which to spend such a gift certificate. And they don't necessarily need be DVD recommendations.

Any ideas?

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle you still have not spent it LOL!?!?!

I spent mine the first day I got back from LA, but I got ripped off on a book that was never sent. It was a 30 dollar book too. They said they sent it but it never came. They won't even credit my certificate. So be careful and watch your back.

I have that Jazz Singer box set and it is even better than I thought it was going to be. It is something you should order. Also buy the expensive box sets u don't want to spend your money on.

Let me know what u get. I think I sent u my list.

have fun

kim

ps. It is movies unlimited that handles the orders. TCM has nothing to do with it.

Message was edited by: kimpunkrock

I'd go for some of the Criterion DVDs. They're on the expensive side but well worth it for the extras included. The one I'd buy first is The Lady Eve, because I adore Missy. Then I'd take Ace in the Hole, The Third Man, and The Lady Vanishes. ::::sigh:::: It's nice to dream!

Di

I'd get the Ford at Fox box set since it's the most costly DVD I'd be interested in getting. I would have to reach into my own pocket to cover the cost, but it would be worth it.

If not the Ford at Fox set, I would do as Dangerous Di suggested, spend it on Criterion titles. I'm also a box set freak, so I'd consider getting some boxes that I'm interested in.

My personal favorite DVDs are:

Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection

The Val Lewton Horror Collection

Film Noir Classic Collection

The F.W. Murnau Collection

Fritz Lang Epic Collection

Preston Sturges: The Filmmaker Collection

The Cary Grant Box Set

I also have Criterion's "Wrong Men and Notorious Women" DVD, but it's OOP.

FrankGrimes suggested -

Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection

The Val Lewton Horror Collection

Film Noir Classic Collection

The F.W. Murnau Collection

Fritz Lang Epic Collection

Preston Sturges: The Filmmaker Collection

The Cary Grant Box Set

Lewton. Lang. Murnau. Noir.

Boy, I am glad they put names on these posts or I would never had known that FrankGrimes suggested these!

Actually, I have two Box Sets you suggest on the short list of potential buys already - Hitchcock and Sturges. If anything, owning those two sets would free up a lot of space on the VHS shelves.

(But isn't it odd that North By Northwest in the Masterpiece Boxset?)

Kyle In Hollywood

"I'd go for some of the Criterion DVDs. The one I'd buy first is The Lady Eve..." - Dianabat

Actually I have taken the Criterion The Lady Eve home from the library a few times. And the accompanying Sturges documentary was rebroadcast on PBS this past year so I have a copy of that.

But keep dreaming for me. And thanks for sharing those daydreams with me.

Kyle In Hollywood

"For myself, the first thing I'd nab is the new Jazz Singer collection on DVD - primarily because of the Vitaphone shorts collection it contains..." - Gregory1965

I was trying to find some collections of musical shorts but they are difficult to locate without an exact title to search for. I think I did see a Paramount (?) set of musical shorts - all jazz bands, I think. Anyone know if it is interesting?

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle,

You know me and John Ford and I know you and Ford.

If Ford at Fox, the complete set, is too much, I would recommend his American Comedies set:

From Movies Unlimited:

Will Rogers stars as "Doctor Bull" (1933), a country physician who must rise above the small-town gossip surrounding his relationship with a local widow when he tries to quell a typhoid outbreak. With Vera Allen, Marian Nixon.

Then, perhaps the best film example of Rogers' down-home wit was "Judge Priest" (1934), an early comedy-drama from John Ford. Rogers plays a small-town judge whose unconventional but sound policies endear him to his constituents. Tom Brown, Anita Louise, Hattie McDaniel, and Stepin Fetchit also star.

Four-disc set also includes "Up the River," "Steamboat 'Round the Bend," "When Willie Comes Marching Home," and "What Price Glory?" 8 2/3 hrs. total. Standard; Soundtrack: English Dolby Digital mono; Subtitles: English, Spanish; deleted scenes; featurettes; photo gallery; theatrical trailers; audio commentary.

These rarely show up on TCM.

Hi, Smart-Mouthin' Kylefornia -- Lewton. Lang. Murnau. Noir.

Boy, I am glad they put names on these posts or I would never had known that FrankGrimes suggested these!

:D

Such great taste must equal me, right, Kyle?

Actually, I have two Box Sets you suggest on the short list of potential buys already - Hitchcock and Sturges. If anything, owning those two sets would free up a lot of space on the VHS shelves. (But isn't it odd that North By Northwest in the Masterpiece Boxset?)

North by Northwest is in the Alfred Hitchcock: The Signature Collection (Warner box).

I love the Masterpiece Collection. It's well worth it.

I have two of the three major Bogie boxes (Bogie & Bacall: The Signature Collection and Humphrey Bogart: The Signature Collection, Volume 1). They are most definitely worth having.

The John Wayne/John Ford Film Collection may be the next box set I get.

Do you have "The Movies Begin" DVD?

I was trying to find some collections of musical shorts but they are difficult to locate without an exact title to search for. I think I did see a Paramount (?) set of musical shorts - all jazz bands, I think. Anyone know if it is interesting?

Is it "Hollywood Rhythm Volume 1: The Best of Jazz & Blues"?

http://turnerclassic.moviesunlimited.com/product.asp?sku=D22284++

http://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Rhythm-Vol-01-Blues/dp/B000056N7S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1202714049&sr=1-1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings