Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FOUND "World War I" movie; "My Son, My Son"

Siri_Black013

Hi, just signed up for this, hoping for a little help identifying this:

Black and white movie is about the lives of two families, I think they were supposed to be Irish, in England, starting about 20 years pre-World War I. Begins when a young man goes into business with a friend , and then as they get married, have sons (Friend later also has Daughter) become successful, and jumps through as the children get older. Scene that comes to mind is how the young man, Father#1, spoils his only son, while his pragmatic wife Mother#1 tries to curb the boy's bad character; the friend, Father#2, whose own Son#2 and Daughter#A are Son#1's playmates, has given his Son#2 a book, which Son#1 tries to steal, and when his Mother#1 catches Son#1 out and tries to punish him, Father#1 intervenes and writes it off as youthful mischief.

About 15 years later, Mother#1 has died, Father#1 has taken up a bit of a love affair with his favorite author Woman#X and Son#1 has grown into a bit of mean playboy who is also after Woman#X because she snubbed him before; meanwhile Father#2 is still around, though it seems like the two families have drifted in terms of wealth and social position, though Son#2 is a dutiful, honorable young man, and Daughter#A is beginning a career on stage, but has unwittingly fallen in love with Father#1. Because of this last, Daughter#A sort of throws herself at Son#1, so that Woman#X and Father#1 have a chance at being together without Father#1 backing down because he thinks his Son#1 has genuine feelings for Woman#X.

World War I breaks out and Son#1, and Son#2 go to France; meanwhile Father#1, visiting Daughter#A after a show, learns that she is pregnant with Son#1's child; Father#1 chivalrously offers to marry her, but Daughter#A refuses, knowing Father#1 and Woman#X are in love. She commits suicide. Father#1 goes to France as a war correspondent (not sure, some clerical military thing, anyway), and encounters Son#1 and Son#2 having a fight about Daughter#A death; Son#2 rightly accuses Son#1 of toying with his sister, and Father#1, having finally given up the ghost about his only child's character, goes to Son#2 to commiserate. Son#1 tries to talk his Father#1 around, but Fath#1 is having none of it, and says he's ashamed of Son#1. Son#1 realizes that he's a bad egg and marches off the next morning vowing to atone for his sins. Movie ends as Father#1, back in England and married to Woman#X, is visited by Father#2 and Son#2, who gives Father#1 the medal Son#1 died to receive, telling Father#1 that Son#1 died trying to live up to his father's ideal of him. Fades to black after some words about family and love.

Not a perfect synopsis, but I hope it stirs someone's memory. Any information is welcome and appreciated, thank you for your consideration.

Message was edited by: Siri_Black013

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings