Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

There Will Be Blood will be a classic...opinions?

bio47

I don't want to say anything that can be a spoiler. I would love to know what others thought.

Especially of Day Lewis who turns in one of the greatest performances in cinematic history. I have been hearing this from others as well.

PM me if you'd like to discuss or post here what you can without a spoiler.

I know there is one scene in particular that can't be discussed here and I am dying to know what others thought of it. Write me if you want.

25 years from now it will be on AFI's list if not before then and our grandchildren will be watching it over and over on TCM. Mesmerizing and held my attention every second in spite of a running time of 2:40. Astonishing. Unlike anything I have ever seen. An epic without a huge cast and huge scenes that most epics depict.

• 2 months later...

I rented both this and "No Country for Old Men". Truthfully, I didn't care for either one. ( It should be noted that I was raised in a southwest boomtown environment and saw enough violence between that and my time in the military (1961 -1967). My later years as a mid level manager on the technical side exposed me to the greed and cruelty of big business' executive suites. So my taste in entrainment / movies runs to the lighter side. Funny part is that I do have copies of, and consider "classic" *"The Green Mile"* and *"Saving Private Ryan"....* Go Figure.)

Message was edited by: OldPackard

Plodding, uninvolving and visually boring study of a totally uninteresting guy. Considering the fact that Day-Lewis was in every frame for 2 and 1/2 hours, it follows that is was not my cup of tea. Day Lewis played the role in a static, never-changing mood...constantly in a near panic, never plumbing for some small element of humanity that would bring this guy to life. If in fact, it's the way he was written, I would have passed on the idea of bringing it to the screen.

On the plus side, the music was outstanding...it should have won the award.

Plodding, uninvolving and visually boring study of a totally uninteresting guy. Considering the fact that Day-Lewis was in every frame for 2 and 1/2 hours, it follows that is was not my cup of tea. Day Lewis played the role in a static, never-changing mood...constantly in a near panic, never plumbing for some small element of humanity that would bring this guy to life.

I respectfully disagree. I thought There Will Be Blood was visually strong. I believe the look of the film to be one of its greatest assets, especially the scenes involving the derricks. I also respectfully disagree with your assessment of Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day-Lewis). SPOILER. Plainview's personality changes once his long-lost "brother" enters his life. He shows a want for family and he slowly starts to lose his edge. When he figures out the truth about his "brother," he becomes violently angry for allowing himself to be fooled. As a result, he becomes all the more bitter, hateful, and power-starved. "I'm finished." And so he was.

As for the film overall, I thought it to be good not great. I much prefer No Country for Old Men to There Will Be Blood and I like P.T. Anderson's Magnolia and Punch-Drunk Love more. The aspects I like most about There Will Be Blood are Daniel Day-Lewis' enthralling performance, the direction, the cinematography, the sound design, and the score. What I don't like about the film is the last act, particularly the ending. I felt it was forced and very heavy-handed. It was too spoonfed for my tastes.

I'm still utterly amazed by Daniel Day-Lewis' performance. To hear Day-Lewis speak naturally before or after seeing There Will Be Blood is rather jarring. For him to stay in-character with a character like "Daniel Plainview" for a 3-hour film is truly remarkable; sheer brilliance.

I'd have to disagree with your opinion of Day-Lewis in "There Will Be Blood". His performance was good, may have even qualified him for the Oscar this year. But this is no where near one of his better performances. His Oscar win for "My Left Foot" was much more deserving. He is one of our better, more committed actors we have working today. Although not as prolific as "classic" movie actors once were.

And I prefer "No Country For Old Men" much better as well. A visual powerhouse of not only storytelling but visuals as well. Plus a great supporting cast. Just loved Josh Brolin, Tommy Lee Jones and Javier Bardem. Bardem was rather creepy, but he was excellent. I had always considered "Fargo" to be their best film. I'd really have to say that this film is by far their best film to date.

In many ways I see "No Country for Old Men" as a revisitation to themes from earlier Coen brother films like Blood Simple and Fargo. The film's motifs of chance, free-will, and predestination are familiar territory for the Coen brothers, who presented similar threads and themes of fate and circumstance in those earlier works. I especially loved Chigurh's (Bardem) fate deciding coin flipping.

Hey there, FXReyMan! -- I'd have to disagree with your opinion of Day-Lewis in "There Will Be Blood".

You're not allowed to do that. ;)

His performance was good, may have even qualified him for the Oscar this year. But this is no where near one of his better performances. His Oscar win for "My Left Foot" was much more deserving. He is one of our better, more committed actors we have working today. Although not as prolific as "classic" movie actors once were.

Day-Lewis deserves much praise for his performance in BOTH My Left Foot and There Will Be Blood. Talk about opposite ends of the acting spectrum, and he deftly achieves great success in each. I consider There Will Be Blood to be more of a powerhouse role for Day-Lewis but My Left Foot to be the greater challenge. What Day-Lewis had to do in There Will Be Blood was take command of the screen and he surely did that and then some. I couldn't take my eyes AND ears off of him. How he was able to consistently speak in his John Huston-esque style while delivering such forceful, lengthy monologues is beyond me. There Will Be Blood provided Day-Lewis with what could be a once in a lifetime opportunity for an actor and he capitalized on it.

And I prefer "No Country For Old Men" much better as well. A visual powerhouse of not only storytelling but visuals as well. Plus a great supporting cast. Just loved Josh Brolin, Tommy Lee Jones and Javier Bardem. Bardem was rather creepy, but he was excellent. I had always considered "Fargo" to be their best film. I'd really have to say that this film is by far their best film to date.

Fargo and Blood Simple were my two favorite Coen Brothers' films until No Country for Old Men came along. No Country for Old Men is a very tense film. I was on the edge of my seat throughout the picture, fearing the worst. It's a very well-acted film, as most Coen brothers films are. "Anton Chigurh" (Javier Bardem) is on the level of "Max Cady" for me. He terrified me.

In many ways I see "No Country for Old Men" as a revisitation to themes from earlier Coen brother films like Blood Simple and Fargo. The film's motifs of chance, free-will, and predestination are familiar territory for the Coen Brothers, who presented similar threads and themes of fate and circumstance in those earlier works. I especially loved Chigurh's (Bardem) fate deciding coin flipping.

Very nicely said. I completely agree with you. I believe No Country for Old Men successfully combines elements from Blood Simple with Fargo. I also consider No Country for Old Men to be the most philosophical of the Coen Brothers films. I love the ending for this very reason. We are left with a thought.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings