Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hand In Hand / The Star And The Cross

coolrob1955

'Hand In Hand', aka ?The Star And The Cross'.

A wonderful British movie from 1961. I stumbled across it accidentally on TBN whilst channel surfing. Sadly I missed the first 30 minutes, but saw enough to know I want to see this movie again.

It?s essentially a ?message? movie about two eight-year old British children in the 1960?s, a Jewish girl, and a Catholic boy who become friends at school. They are each curious about the other?s religion and agree to visit each other?s places of worship even though they are full of fears and trepidation about doing so. The Catholic boy goes to a service at the local Synagogue. The next day, the Jewish girl attends Mass at the local Catholic Church. From this experience, and their friendship, they shed their (learned) prejudices, preconceptions and fears about other religions and cultures.

It?s a very powerful and touching story, and I recommend it to anyone regardless of your religious affiliations (or none).

The two child actors, Loretta Parry and Philip Needs are excellent. The movie also features a whole slew of British character actors that will be familiar to most TCM viewers.

Unfortunately this movie is not available on either VHS or DVD. I?m grateful to TCM for all the wonderful classic movies, but the movies shown on TCM are only the tip of a very large iceberg. It?s a shame that so many classic movies such as ?Hand In Hand? are consigned to movie oblivion.

Regards

I remember HAND IN HAND and I agree with you about what a fine little film it is. I haven't seen it showing anywhere in years.It was released in this country by Columbia Pictures and being that it was produced by a company in Britain, it's possible that Columbia (or anybody else for that matter) no longer has the U.S. rights to it. That happens a lot. There are thousands of films that just seem to vanish.

On the other hand, TCM has been leasing more Columbia films so maybe there's a chance it could show up sometime. Try putting it in "suggest a movie". It can only help.

Thanks markfp2. I went ahead and posted a request in ?Suggest A Movie?. I went to IMDB to read up on this movie, and was pleased to see so many positive comments. It?s amazing that such a rarely seen and ?unavailable? movie made such a big impression with so many people.

Regards

This really takes me back. Hand In Hand played in our parish hall in the mid '60s. What a beautiful film. Not all the wholesome movies we were shown back then made us want to be good and tolerant, but this one did--and that's probably because it shows some respect for young people.

When a protestant friend and I got into a childish theological dispute, I had such high hopes for that movie notion of visiting each other's house of worship. Things didn't turn out quite the same in real life, but we gave it a try.

I'm really sorry I missed this recent broadcast, but glad to know it's being shown somewhere these days. It would be great on TCM. Thank you for reminding me of this movie.

• 3 months later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings