Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Great Movie Alert!

After antar alerted us all to Hedy's Come Live With Me the other night (taped but not yet watched;- ), I was thinking that it would be a good idea to start a topic we could use to alert others here to some of our TCM favorites before they air so that others won't miss them. I know I have a hard time each week deciding what to tape. Sometimes it's because I'm not familiar with any of the stars or the director, sometimes it's because the local TVWeek only gives it 2 stars and I don't bother to look it up in Maltin's guide to see if he thought it was better.

I'm not suggesting we alert everyone to classic films that everyone has probably already seen (e.g. Casablanca), though I think sometimes we can assume too much about what everyone has seen as well (as I found out when I posted on the tear jerking thread;- ) Or, perhaps we could just look at the schedule a week (or day?) in advance and say "of all the movies on the schedule during this time, if I had to choose, I'd tape/watch this one" or something like that.

What do y'all think?

As an example, I would point out that Red Dust with Clark Gable, Jean Harlow, and Mary Astor is on tomorrow night at 10 PM ET. Is this one EVERYONE has seen?

I'm all for it path! Many times my life gets so hectic with the kids etc. that I totally forget to check the schedule and realize too late that I've missed a good movie. Plus there are many I haven't seen--just have seen part of--or haven't seen in a long time...like the movie "Red Dust". Thanks for the heads up! I must add that it will be nice to get recommendations from the classic movie lovers that frequent this forum.

I think this is a good idea, too! Like my Hedy topic, only expanded. And to think; I was sure I was going to pick up a buncha flak for that "Hedy Lamarr on TCM" topic--I figured folks would start gettin' annoyed with it!

But yes, I think this will be helpful. There are many classics that I haven't seen that I might miss on TCM entirely if they're not brought to my attention. I have seen Red Dust, though...

O.K. great! Assuming everyone's also already seen my favorite (Ninotchka on Monday night at 6 PM ET), then my next two favorites on the schedule are both on Tuesday at 2 (one AM, one PM) ... Pride and Prejudice with Greer Garson (I just love her) followed by Libeled Lady, which like Red Dust also features Jean Harlow (and Myrna Loy AND Spencer Tracy).

Perhaps everyone has seen these two, but if you haven't it, don't miss 'em.

Oh yeah, next Wednesday has a fantastic schedule. I've seen (and highly recommend!) virtually every film being shown. Hopefully, I haven't just rendered this topic useless to everyone else;- )

I've been waiting for a topic like this! I hope to find a lot of gems (like the Stewart-Lamarr romantic comedy) that I otherwise might over look. I may not be able to alert any movies since most of my favorites are very well known but I will definately be looking for new favorites.

I also enjoy a "heads up" on movies. Often I have seen them, but every once in awhile, someone recommends a gem! What I like most is the title, date, names of who's starring in it and a brief synopsis. Enough to tantelize me into taping/watching it.

Glad you liked it! Ironically, it was perhaps the first movie I ever saw Greta Garbo in. So, once I learned (and witnessed) her screen persona in earlier films that I subsequently watched, it became even funnier!

BTW, for another irony, shortly after I posted my opinion that I loved tomorrow's line-up, I read this:

http://turnerclassicmovies.com/ThisMonth/Article/0,,62572,00.html

Evidently, Robert Osborne's personal choices are some of my favorites too. Who knew;- )

BTW, I didn't mean this topic to be led by me and me alone;-)

ANYONE can contribute to it when you see a movie on the schedule that you think is particularly good and ESPECIALLY if it's somewhat obscure (e.g. not everyone knows about it).

I'd like to have others contribute so that I (selfishly) might learn some titles worth taping/watching.

Thanks!

I get ya, path! I check the schedule every day, keeping this topic in mind, and am sure to contribute soon...I just haven't come across that worthy 'gem' yet. The great thing about these forums is the fact that they live on in infinity.

I did wonder a couple things, though:

How long to give notice? as a courtesy I mean?

Is it a day or three?

and also, can we make requests as well? For instance, I'd like to ask Mongo, if he comes across this, to suggest a great suspense drama, a la Ida Lupino (while I'm waiting for "The Hard Way" to be aired).

*Warning* Spoiler in my post, so don't read if you haven't seen "The Wind" yet (if you taped it for example).

I watched "The Wind" last night ML. I thought it was wonderful. Lillian Gish was so young and beautiful. All that sand and wind.....horrible. I was surprised when Robert Osborne said that the original ending was changed to a happy ending because the studio executives thought it would be better received. From what Robert Osborne said Lillian Gish & the director Victor Sj?str?m were none to happy about this. I will admit that I was happy when Letty told Lige that she loved him and would stay with him, although I think that they should've hitched up the wagon and left that god-forsaken place!

So, how did you like it?

Hi Stella! I loved "The Wind"....in fact, I have loved the past seven weeks, non-stop, of Silent Sunday's movies. The one this coming Sunday with Mary Pickford will make eight weeks in a row. Many of these silents are ones I've never seen, and sure won't ever see anywhere else other than on TCM.

As for the ending, I think that it's too bad that they didn't use the original ending. I can understand why they didn't, but I also think that a great deal of creative artistry was lost by putting a "happy ending" on this particular movie. After all, it depicts a time, and a setting, where there were seldom "happy endings"...so why deviate from that harsh and stark reality with a movie like "The Wind"?

I just love the Silent Sunday movies, ML! That's one of my favorite nights of the week 'cause my kids and husband are sleepin' and I get to watch my movie and enjoy some quiet time!! Oh, and I do agree with you about how they really shouldn't have changed the ending of "The Wind". I will admit I'm a sucker for a happy ending, but as you said, a lot of the creative artistry was lost by changing it. I also understand what you mean about how times were then. Hard and depressing to say the least.

Sorry for the late notice ... today/tonight's line-up is particularly good IMO. Check it out:

4:00 pm

Bishop's Wife, The (1947)

An angel helps set an ambitious bishop on the right track. Cary Grant, Loretta Young, David Niven. Director: Henry Koster. BW-109m

6:00 pm

Farmer's Daughter, The (1947)

When she goes to work for a congressman, a Minnesota farm girl takes Washington by storm. Loretta Young, Joseph Cotten, Ethel Barrymore. Director: H.C. Potter. BW-97m

8:00 pm

Face In The Crowd, A (1957)

A female television executive turns a folk-singing drifter into a powerful media star. Andy Griffith, Patricia Neal, Walter Matthau. Director: Elia Kazan. BW-126m

10:15 pm

Meet John Doe (1941)

A reporter's fraudulent story turns a tramp into a national hero and makes him a pawn of big business. Gary Cooper, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward Arnold. Director: Frank Capra. BW-122m

12:30 am

Front Page, The (1931)

A crusading newspaper editor tricks his retiring star reporter into covering one last case. Pat O'Brien, Adolphe Menjou, Edward Everett Horton. Director: Lewis Milestone. BW-100m

2:15 am

Network (1976)

Television programmers turn a deranged news anchor into 'the mad prophet of the airwaves.' William Holden, Faye Dunaway, Peter Finch. Director: Sidney Lumet. C-122m

4:15 am

Bombshell (1933)

A glamorous film star rebels against the studio, her pushy press agent and a family of hangers-on. Jean Harlow, Lee Tracy, Frank Morgan. Director: Victor Fleming. BW-96m

Though none of these are particularly obscure, all are worth watching!!!

I agree path -- TCM sure aired some goodies today!! I caught most of 'em (especially enjoyed "Meet John Doe" -- Coop just takes my breath away in that one ;) ). I hadn't seen "The Farmer's Daughter" in ages and forgot how much I enjoyed it. Keep up the good work TCM!! And thanks path for listing the schedule!

I was flipping through my Now Playingguide and the movie "The Good Earth" (1937) caught my attention. It is going to be on 01/12/04 (I know it's rather early to mention it, but I thought I'd do it before it slipped my mind). I've always loved this movie -- I even own it. For those of you who haven't seen it (or for those who haven't seen it in a long time) it's worth checkin' out.

Here's TCM's summary:

Epic adaptation of the Pearl Buck classic about Chinese farmers battling the elements. Paul Muni, Luise Rainer, Walter Connolly. Director: Sidney Franklin. BW-138m

Oh, and it's a GREAT book too!

Thanks stella! Yes, I've seen the Good Earth, and it may have been the first movie that I saw Paul Muni and Luise Rainer in too.

Coming up a couple of days earlier, this Friday in fact, there are several of my favorites which I'd recommend to anyone who has yet to seem them:

12:00 pm Streetcar Named Desire, A (1951)

A fading southern belle tries to build a new life with her sister in New Orleans. Vivien Leigh, Marlon Brando, Karl Malden. Director: Elia Kazan. BW-125m

2:30 pm Bad and the Beautiful, The (1952)

An unscrupulous movie producer uses everyone around him in his climb to the top. Kirk Douglas, Lana Turner, Dick Powell. Director: Vincente Minnelli. BW-118m

4:30 pm Marty (1955)

A lonely butcher finds love despite the opposition of his friends and family. Ernest Borgnine, Betsy Blair, Esther Minciotti. Director: Delbert Mann. BW-90m

6:00 pm Picnic (1955)

A handsome drifter ignites passions at a small-town Labor Day picnic. William Holden, Kim Novak, Rosalind Russell. Director: Joshua Logan. C-113m

If I had time to watch just one of them, I'd choose to watch The Bad and the Beautiful!

The movie "The Good Earth" is one of my favorites. Big scale production did justice to Pearl Buck's epic novel.

Amazing is the fact that MGM built China on their back lots. It was the last film Production Chief and boy genius Irving G. Thalberg was involed with before he died. He was married to Norma Shearer at the time. The special effects are masterful especially the locust raid.

Luise Rainer is magnificent as Olan and certainly deserved her Oscar. It is indeed a great motion picture.

Mongo