Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Great Movie Alert!

path40a

This week's TCM Picks have been posted:

http://www.classicfilmguide.com/index.php?s=tcm#mar10

including a modern classic American Graffiti (1973), the second part of Ivan the Terrible (1946), the recently discussed 49th Parallel, a curious choice for this week's Essential, the TCM premiere Winning (1969), another great night of Claudette Colbert films, one of my favorite guilty pleasure Bette Davis performances In This Our Life (1942), and a selection of films from director Fritz Lang including the TCM premiere of Western Union (1941).

Wow. Has everyone here except me seen The Asphalt Jungle?

Sorry, Fredric. This week my hunk is Sterling Hayden. Holy hotness.

I am watching it in increments so it will last longer. BOY, what a good movie. Oddly, on the theme of movie to television actors, while watching this movie I was feeling badly for Sam Jaffe. Here he was, a really accomplished actor, and he was reduced to playing second fiddle to Vince Edwards in Ben Casey. And a very unenlightened me at the time thought Edwards was a hunk. Phui.

Another good one I hadn't ever seen was Johnny Eager. I was pleasantly surprised that pretty boy Taylor put in a reallly good performance. He's no hunk, but the movie was very enjoyable.

Thank you TCM, thank you.

path, Libeled Lady is wonderful.

Useless? Not at all, not as long as we all have opinions, and I wager we do!

I agree about Wednesday! I will need to have two VCRs going, as there are going to be THIRTEEN hours of tape worthy films. What black and white cinematic heaven! TCM at its best.

stoney??? Your comment seems to apply to a post I made December 18, 2003 (the only time I used the word useless in this thread) ... twilight zone?

BTW, I too get a sense of relief when TCM's programming choices give me a chance to catch my breath and rest my TIVO & VCR (I use both every day!). I've finally had a chance to "catch up" on some films which I'd taped, which lately I haven't had the chance to do 'cause I've only had time to watch "A" (TIVOed) list films;-)

path, talk about Twilight Zone (cue the music). It's as if I were William Shatner and your post was out on the wings of that plane.

I posted my comment and then when I went back I didn't see your post anymore! Okay, now I'm spooked and I have nooooooo idea how it happened.

In FACT, I searched and couldn't find what I was posting to. Think I either need to have a drink or go lie down. Funny thing is, your old post led me to almost reveal the glorious taping I have to pay particular attention to this Wednesday is on my birthday.

Too weird.

Thanks, path. I still don't know how I was responding to what I responding to!:)

Anywho...apparently March 30th (thank you TCM) is another marathoner. I have it scheduled as a TWELVE hour tapeworthy day.

But I missed Bed of Roses, and it was one of your selections. :( March is so busy, tape wise, that I ran out of slots on my VCR. Hopefully, TCM will re-run it.

http://www.classicfilmguide.com/index.php?s=tcm#mar17

including some classic comedies like W.C. Fields in The Bank Dick (1940), Arsenic and Old Lace (1944), this week's TCM Essential Adam's Rib (1949), the Marx Brothers in Duck Soup (1933), the rarely shown I Love You Again (1940), three more great films featuring TCM's Star of the Month Claudette Colbert, the Ingmar Bergman classic Smiles of a Summer Night (1955), Joan Crawford's Oscar winning performance in Mildred Pierce (1945), and some Cary Grant classics!

I too missed "Bed of Roses" last week, after waiting almost 2 years since the last time it was shown. I moved and my cable wasn't hooked up yet. I am so glad to see "Baby Doll" is on next week, that's another one that isn't aired often enough. I know it was on last month but it was during the wee morning hours.

Wow, I guess you're out to get me today. TCM does not air Baby Doll frequently, I check for it monthly. And I could not record it because I did not have cable that week due to moving, or I would have. I just wish it would come out on DVD so I wouldn't have to wait for it.

http://www.classicfilmguide.com/index.php?s=tcm#mar24

including a variety of films & two TCM premieres, some great musicals, one of the best silent films you'll ever see - The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928), the last installment of films featuring TCM's March Star of the Month Claudette Colbert, several great comedies, and three Fredric March films: Nothing Sacred (1937), an encore presentation of Death Takes a Holiday (1934) and One Foot in Heaven (1941).

This week's TCM Picks have been posted (the 400th post in this thread!):

http://www.classicfilmguide.com/index.php?s=tcm

including dozens of TCM premieres as the network airs "April Fools" selections from classic comedians like Laurel & Hardy, Charlie Chase, Fatty Arbuckle, Harold Lloyd and great comedy directors! Also see some uncommon (not as frequently shown) gems like Anthony Adverse (1936), Escape (1940), Test Pilot (1938), Of Human Bondage (1934), Bordertown (1935), It's Love I'm After (1937), & Midnight (1939). The channel will also be showing the Academy Award winning Best Picture Patton (1970), for the very first time on the channel. And don't miss the all new feature "The Adventures of Errol Flynn (2005)" celebrating this month's SOTM!

Is there anyone that will be/ is recording the Fatty Arbuckle films showing today (April 4), that would be willing to make me a tape/DVD? I will pay shipping and materials costs, whatever you think is reasonable. Please email me: LotusFlower1922@hotmail.com -- Thanks so much!!!

peace is the word

bunny