Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Great Movie Alert!

I saw "Brief Encounter"years ago and again last night. It's a terrific film, all the more interesting because David Lean and Trevor Howard are so young. I agree that the people are plain but I think that's part of its charm.(Not that your knocking it) It can make the audience identify with them more easily. (Might be the reason the Taylor/Burton version may not have worked.) It is a very British film and if you understand that going in it makes for time well spent.

Yes I liked it as a conservative British film. I know people in the US today who are still conservative but who can still fall in love with other people and go through the torment that the main characters did in this movie. And another true-to-life factor was that these people weren?t very young, not in their 20s.

Thanks for the additional reminder, Brief Encounter (1945) is one that most folks (particularly those who are married) can relate to and/or enjoy. For those that missed it, TCM will be airing it again on February 6 and twice in March when it will be shown as an Essential.

This week's TCM Picks have been posted:

http://www.classicfilmguide.com/index.php?s=tcm#jan26

including the last of the Hayao Miyazaki anime films; a nice little William Powell-Myrna Loy gem called I Love You Again (1940) is being aired Friday morning, which is also Donna Reed's birthday; later, TCM will air two TCM premieres, The Boys from Brazil (1978) and the Oscar winning Best Foreign Language film The Shop on Main Street (1965); if you like Westerns, give Cowboy (1958) a chance on Saturday, which is followed by Humphrey Bogart's Best Actor performance in The African Queen (1951) and then a tribute to the great director Ernst Lubitsch, during which many of his great films will be shown starting with this weekend's Essential The Merry Widow (1934) (btw, does anyone know where feaito has gone to?); Monday begins with an unannounced tribute to Mickey Rooney and ends with the last night of SOTM Robert Montgomery's films, including an amusing light comedy I just watched & reviewed oddly named The First Hundred Years (1938); Tuesday night's "Talk is Cheap" theme is OUTSTANDING and includes the infrequently shown Born Yesterday (1950), featuring Judy Holliday's Best Actress performance; and Wednesday is the first day of TCM's 31 Days of Oscar "month"!

As always thanks Path40a. The last time feaito posted was 1/16/06. hopefully he's on Vacation or maybe having a hard time logging on. I'd hate to lose another great poster. WE LOST TOO MANY AS IT IS.....................

vallo

I just heard from feaito, and he's on holiday. So, no worries there, thank goodness! However, it is true that some great, past contributors have been missing in action for quite a while, which is a real shame.

I just mentioned the fact that some of our past members have sadly left the boards, over on that downbeat thread 'The End Is Near'.

It's a shame since we use to have a good time chewing the fat about movies on these boards with all kinds of topics and in a friendly, polite manner.

Perhaps one day soon it will happen again.

Mongo

?I just mentioned the fact that some of our past members have sadly left the boards, over on that downbeat thread 'The End Is Near'.?

That?s not true. I noticed that a lot of people suddenly left the board as soon as the anime cartoons started showing and you started promoting them and condemning people who like classic old movies rather than modern cartoons.

I started my tread to draw some of them back, and I did.

Mongo, the title of this thread is A GREAT MOVIE ALERT.

There is a Great Movie coming up Saturday at 4 PM Eastern time: ?The African Queen?.

And don?t forget ?Green Dolphin Street? tomorrow at 1:30 PM Eastern time.

I have enjoyed most of the animations shown especially last weeks My Neighbor Totoro which is now included as one of my favorite films. Many closed minded people have come on board lately whose only intent is to trash others and this in unfortunate. I realize that the times that we live in can be hard on us but this is no reason to take out our personal problems on others who deserve as much respect as we would treat those who we come into contact with in ouy daily lives. When I hear people say things like anime crap and modern films suck and don't belong on TCM, I now that it is only a personal problem that they have with themselves, they only want to have someone to pick an argument with so they choose their words well to meet this end.

hat?s not true. I noticed that a lot of people suddenly left the board as soon as the anime cartoons started showing and you started promoting them and condemning people who like classic old movies rather than modern cartoons.>>

Fred,

You may have disagreements with Mongo but you should know that he is one of the most tolerant, and respectful posters that come here and this in addition to being a wealth of information and that which he does not know he will research just by being asked. I have not known him to condemn anyone on this board.

His patience may get tried from time to time by the doom and gloomers and those who resort to insults or hyperbole to get their point across but Mongo has remained true to his beliefs throughout it all from what I can tell.

There have been a number of threads of late that start off discussing movies and end up with name calling, verbal fisticuffs and politics and those threads may have caused some of the regulars to seek higher ground.

There are days when many of us probably consider joining them but then we remember guys like Larry and feato, johnnyweeks, bollywood, coffeedan and Mongo and we are drawn back by the possibilities of good conversations about movies of all decades.

I realize how great "The African Queen" is since I've seeen it many times before and I don't mind viewing it again.

I also enjoy "Green Dolphin Street" especially for its Oscr winning special effects as well as Gladys Cooper. Keep your eye out for Moyna MacGill who is Angela Lansbury's mother in real life.

Ok, thanks. I?ll look for her.

?The Stranger? is pretty good, 8 PM Eastern time tomorrow. It?s a good mystery film about an ex-Nazi hiding out in a small American town after the War. I?ve seen it so many times it?s not a mystery to me anymore. But it was very intriguing the first several times I saw it.

Right after it, at 10 PM Eastern, is ?The Odessa File?. Although it?s a post-Technicolor film from the ?70s, it?s a good mystery. It?s about ex-Nazis hiding out in 1960s Germany, and a reporter?s quest to expose them.

BTW, feaito said he too misses the "old" regulars like Moira, Paty, Sandy (who's actually still here), Mary Lou, Lolite, etc.. Liz, you've certainly been a valuable addition to these boards in addition to vallo and others. Check your private messages and/or send me an e-mail, O.K. Liz. Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback, johnny (I enjoy your posts too)! To answer your question, I started this thread more than 2 years ago, after I'd been participating on these boards for 6 months or so. My original intent was to alert folks to "great movies" I'd seen which they may not have heard about AND to have others do the same. Thanks to other participants (some of the aforementioned "missing in action"), I learned about a lot of terrific films which I may never have watched otherwise. Eventually, I began posting mini-capsule reviews of my favorite films on TCM's schedule (here) and, after a while, I'd written so much that I decided to capture and save it all in one place in lieu of continuing to post the same info over and over. Hence, I launched the website. Now, I only post a weekly update with a brief summary and a link to my "TCM Picks" page, where one can find capsule reviews or full synopses of the coming week's films.

http://www.classicfilmguide.com/index.php?s=tcm

and the channel's 31 Days of Oscar "month" begins tomorrow! Even though this means that the schedule is filled with movies many of us have seen several times, you might be interested to know that this year's celebration includes nearly 2 dozen TCM premieres! For example, this Friday, after a repeat showing of John Ford's The Hurricane (1937) earlier in the day, you can see the four star film In Which We Serve (1942); Saturday afternoon, Marlon Brando's Sayonara (1957) will be shown for the very first time on the channel; and Sunday, though it's not a TCM premiere, you can see the rarely shown silent classic Sunrise (1927) followed later that evening by the premiere of The Cowboy and the Lady (1938) with Gary Cooper and Merle Oberon; and, next Tuesday features back-to-back TCM premieres with the airing of Flying Tigers (1942) and Wake Island (1942) ... to say nothing of all the other, more regular classic films being shown during this first week of February!

Message was edited by:

path40a

http://www.classicfilmguide.com/index.php?s=tcm#feb9

and the channel's 31 Days of Oscar "month" continues with several Best Picture winners and other great films like one of ML's favorites The Big Country (1958) (where are you, Mary Lou?), the TCM premiere of Heaven Can Wait (1978), The Fighting Seabees (1944), Benji (1974), & Wonder Man (1945), a great one that hasn't been on for a while titled The Americanization of Emily (1964), and a (relatively) newer film that's worth a look from director Robert Redford, Quiz Show (1994) with Ralph Fiennes & Paul Scofield.

Happy Valentine's Day

http://www.classicfilmguide.com/index.php?s=tcm#feb16

"31 Days of Oscar" month continues with several new TCM premieres and all new (full & capsule) reviews! In fact, I beefed up a lot of my older capsule reviews as well. Highlights for the week include several you may have seen, and some you may not, like Three Comrades (1938), Abe Lincoln in Illinois (1940), & Above and Beyond (1952), the TCM premieres of One Hundred Men and a Girl (1937) with Deanna Durbin next Monday AND Arrowsmith (1931) with Ronald Colman next Tuesday AND director Robert Altman's Nashville (1975) early next Wednesday (ET) morning. The schedule also includes many of my favorites like: Born Yesterday (1950), White Heat (1949), My Man Godfrey (1936), The Quiet Man (1952), Random Harvest (1942), The Letter (1940), A Place in the Sun (1951), I Remember Mama (1948), Top Hat (1935), The Public Enemy (1931), Libeled Lady (1936), & The Naked Spur (1952) - in addition to many other terrific classics (listed if you follow the link above).

Thanks for your hard work on this thread, and on your website. It's always nice to have some suggestions, when one's time for pursuit of hobbies is limited.

I've not seen "Three Comrades", but thanks to this thread, it is safely on my TiVo and ready to watch this weekend!

I'll be TiVo'ing "My Man Godfrey" as well!

check out the hilarious comedy The Beautiful Blonde from Bashful Bend... the title has absolutely nothing to do with the movie, so when I watched it, by accident, I was so thrilled... it is a women's liberation comedy on the order of a well-organized three stooges physical comedy about a woman sharpshooter in the days of the wild west... she has to disguise herself as a teacher, due to a misunderstanding, and ends up wielding her gun in various scenarios... backed by an entourage of comic genius from the late 1940's... I laughed outloud... great for the whole family... it is not available on DVD yet, but I will be buying several copies the day it arrives on the market... if anyone out there happens to have a good quality copy of it, let me know... thanks, darlad

Thanks for the feedback, pktrekgirl. I'm glad to have helped you find a new classic worth seeing.

And, thanks for the suggestion Darlad. I love Preston Sturges but I've not seen the 20th Century Fox film you've mentioned starring Betty Grable. I'll look for it on VHS.