Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Great Movie Alert!

path40a

Here is a film that caught my eye which may be of interest to those that like Laurel and Hardy and The Three Stooges:

Hollywood Party (1934)

Turner Classic Movies Apr 04 09:00am

Jungle-film star Schnarzan throws a party for African explorer Baron Munchausen. Micky Mouse does a Durante imitation, the 3 Stooges show up as photographers, and Laurel and Hardy arrive to claim the lions as their own which the Baron brings to the party.

Cast: Jimmy Durante, Laurel and Hardy, Lupe Velez, Polly Moran, Charles Butterworth, Eddie Quillan, June Clyde, George Givot, Jack Pearl, Ted Healy.

Director: Richard Boleslawski.

This week's TCM Picks have been posted:

http://www.classicfilmguide.com/index.php?s=tcm#apr6

Walter Huston's birthday is celebrated will an outstanding lineup this Thursday which is followed that evening with the first films from April's SOTM Deborah Kerr; Friday, James Garner receives a birthday salute of his own; this weekend's offerings include 3 TCM Premieres, one of which is How to Marry a Millionaire (1953); Monday, Marjorie Main fans should enjoy the B movie gem Gentle Annie (1944) and Laurel & Hardy fans should be thrilled with the plethora of their features which will air that night; City for Conquest (1940) airs Tuesday morning and this month's salute to cinematographer James Wong Howe continues with the TCM premiere of Algiers (1938) in which Charles Boyer invites Hedy Lamarr to stay with him in the Casbah!

Two films from the Dark Side worth catching on TCM

The Invisible Ray (1936) Turner Classic Movies Apr 05 10:00pm

A scientist seeks an antidote for a radium-poisoned colleague with the touch of death.

Cast: Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Frances Drake. Director: Lambert Hillyer.

Kongo (1932) Remake of West of Zanzibar (1928)

Turner Classic Movies Apr 06 07:15am (Not on DVD or VHS)

A crippled ivory trader rules with voodoo and torments the people around him.

Cast: Tony Huston (II), Lupe Velez, Conrad Nagel. Director: Will Cowan.

So glad to see TCM is showing 'Hope And Glory' Wednesday, April 19,2006 10:00 PM. The "Adventure" of war as seen through the eyes of a nine year old boy living in London during the Blitz. One of my favorite war movies, mainly because my Mother was a kid during WW2 and would often tell us stories about the German bombing raids and about her older brother who was in the Royal Navy and was reported as missing when his ship was torpedoed in the Pacific. Fortunately he showed up a few months later in a hospital in the Phillipines. This is a war movie from a different perspective. Ian Bannan as the grandfather and his annual salute to all his old girlfriends is hilarious.

Thanks for the info Presteign. I likely wouldn't have bothered - but I do often like war and war-time movies IF I know they are good. I love The Mortal Storm for instance. I'll give this one a try.

Allie, I taped The Invisible Ray and am looking forward to watching it.

I really like it when people post to this thread because it gives me some good ideas and I do read it often. And I certainly read Path's weekly posts. Thanks to all.

Scarlett

http://www.classicfilmguide.com/index.php?s=tcm#apr13

and begins with a comprehensive birthday salute to Stanley Donen on Thursday, followed by the second evening of SOTM Deborah Kerr's films, including two Powell & Pressburger films followed by Alexander Korda's gem Vacation from Marriage, aka Perfect Strangers (1945); Lee Tracy's birthday is saluted Friday morning and, appropriately, that evening's theme is "Sly Dogs"; next Sunday is Easter, and the channel's lineup is exceptional (if not entirely thematic) - beginning with Boys' Town (1938) and ending with the Ramon Novarro silent version of Ben-Hur (1925); Monday is William Holden's birthday, his films dominate the day's programming until that evening begins with the TCM premiere of The Entertainer (1960) and several more films starring Laurence Olivier; Tuesday features more examples of cinematographer James Wong Howe's work (some great movies!) in addition to another favorite, Out of the Fog (1941); and Wednesday includes three TCM premieres among Robert Osborne's picks.

http://www.classicfilmguide.com/index.php?s=tcm#apr20

and Thursday begins with a birthday salute to the great silent comedian Harold Lloyd, including perhaps his best sound era feature The Milky Way (1936) followed by a pretty good compilation documentary (produced & directed by Lloyd himself); that evening's lineup features five SOTM Deborah Kerr films from the 1950's; on Friday, writer Norman Panama's birthday is celebrated; Sunday's schedule is full of great films including the TCM premiere of Anthony Quinn's career performance in Zorba the Greek (1964); next Monday is Shirley MacLaine's birthday, and several of her films (and a Private Screenings) follow several Glenn Ford features before the evening gives way to "Same Director Remakes" during which the original "Survivor" movie Five Came Back (1939) and the essential comedy Ball of Fire (1941) will be shown before director John Farrow's and Howard Hawks's, respectively remakes are aired; Tuesday will be the last day dedicated to James Wong Howe's cinematography and next Wednesday features guest programmer Illeana Douglas's great picks.

Here are some choice picks that should be noted also:

The Importance of Being Earnest (1952)

Turner Classic Movies Apr 19 08:00pm

Movies, 120 Mins.

*** (Rated NR)

Raffles (1930)

Turner Classic Movies Apr 20 02:00am

Movies, 75 Mins.

*** (Rated NR)

The Alphabet Murders (1966)

Turner Classic Movies Apr 19 06:00am

Movies, 105 Mins.

Gate of Hell (1954)

Turner Classic Movies Apr 22 02:00am

Movies, 90 Mins.

***+ (Rated NR)

Zorba the Greek (1964)

Turner Classic Movies Apr 23 08:00pm

Movies, 150 Mins.

**** (Rated NR)

It does, and I haven't seen Farrow's remake Back from Eternity yet either.

The only other directors I know of who have done this are William Wyler (These Three & The Children's Hour) and Alfred Hitchcock (The Man Who Knew Too Much 1934 & 1956).

It's a little bit early to discuss this maybe but near the beginning of July, TCM will be showing all versions, plus documentaries, of The Wizard of Oz. I can't give you the exact day cuz I can't pull up that schedule page any more - hopefully it's just today, but I've had the feeling that with the new schedule that they aren't going to let us look ahead on the 'old' pages anymore - so maybe it won't come back. But - I did get a little look at it. Liz Taylor is SOTM, and there are a lot of great movies - unfortunately, most of them I've seen dozens of times. Oh well - - - there's still gonna be the great month of May.

http://www.classicfilmguide.com/index.php?s=tcm

which begins Thursday with a sci-fi day followed by the last evening of April's SOTM Deborah Kerr's films, including her only other pairing with Yul Brynner in the uneven yet interesting Cold War drama The Journey (1959); Friday (Lionel Barrymore's birthday) features the TCM premiere of the Oscar winning Foreign Language Film Cinema Paradiso (1990), and later the powerful Kapo (1959) featuring Susan Strasberg in the title role; Saturday, one of the several films "starring Montgomery Clift" is The Heiress (1949) (Olivia de Havilland's second Best Actress Oscar performance on her last nomination); Sunday's lineup features several great films including an early airing of one of the best films ever on race relations In the Heat of the Night (1967) - Sidney Poitier opposite Rod Steiger's Best Actor Oscar performance is not-to-be-missed & Sunrise (1927) is this Sunday's silent; next Monday is Glenn Ford's birthday salute, preceded by a couple of early James Stewart features and followed by 12 of the greatest movies (and screenplays) of all time through late Tuesday afternoon; Tuesday evening, TCM's first installment of "Race and Hollywood: Black Images in Film" begins with D.W. Griffith's controversial silent epic The Birth of a Nation (1915) and the TCM premiere of Uncle Tom's Cabin (1927); Wednesday is a (mostly pre-code) birthday salute to Mary Astor that includes the Howard Hughes produced, Lewis Milestone directed silent classic Two Arabian Knights (1927), followed by the first evening with May's SOTM Bette Davis and the all new documentary Stardust (2006)!

Message was edited by:

path40a

Cinema Paradiso, tonight, is a movie lover's delight. It's wonderful on so many levels, but will especially get to people like ourselves in that the main character, a young boy, pretty much grows up in a projection booth of a small town cinema, helping the projectionist.

Charley Varrick (1973). The wee hours of monday morning or late sunday, depending upon which coast you are on.

Charley and his gang commit armed robbery on a bank in a small southwestern town. Several people are killed. Several more people are killed later as a consequence of the robbery.

This movie presents us with the same moral paradox as "The Godfather" and others of it's kind. i.e. - Why are we rooting for a guy who is basically a robber and murderer.

A great movie with two of my all time favorite 'slimy' actors, Andrew Robinson and John Vernon.

Regards

Thank you all, for your contributions to this thread!

Don't forget - tonight is Birth of a Nation (1915) and tomorrow night is the TCM premiere of an all new documentary about Bette Davis titled Stardust!

http://www.classicfilmguide.com/index.php?s=tcm

Thursday morning is a continuation of Wednesday night's first installment of SOTM Bette Davis's films which lead right up to the second evening of "Race and Hollywood: Black Images on Film" including a couple of terrific movies with all-Black casts: King Vidor's groundbreaking Hallelujah (1929) and a unique look at stories from the Bible's Old Testament, The Green Pastures (1936); on Friday, you can see Tod Browning's Freaks (1932) for the first time in more than 18 months on the channel along with several documentaries (like the more recent one on Irving Thalberg) interspersed with films from that person (Elia Kazan, Judy Garland, Errol Flynn); Saturday night's salute to costume designer Jean Louis begins with two Rita Hayworth movies: her signature role in Gilda (1946), which is also this week's TCM Essential, and Pal Joey (1957); Sunday's Robert Osborne Picks include The Hurricane (1937), The General (1927), and Noel Coward's very British In Which We Serve (1942); next Monday is another day filled with TCM original documentaries including some of the best: Forever Ealing, Complicated Women, and a couple of Richard Schickel's "The Men Who Made The Movies" features followed that evening by three Samuel Goldwyn productions & TCM premieres featuring scores by Alfred Newman; then Tuesday's lineup of "Race and Hollywood" includes the TCM premiere of director John Ford's Judge Priest (1934), starring Will Rogers; and next Wednesday begins the second full night and day run of Star of the Month (Bette Davis) features, including her own (non-GWTW) Southern saga Jezebel (1938) and the gripping crime drama based on a true story, Marked Woman (1937), with Humphrey Bogart and Eduardo Ciannelli.