Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Great Movie Alert!

This week's TCM Picks have been posted:

http://www.classicfilmguide.com/index.php?s=tcm#may11

which begin Thursday morning with a continuation of SOTM Bette Davis's second night & day of programming and includes a pretty good boxing drama that's not shown very often, Kid Galahad (1937), in addition to the campy remake of the first classic version of The Maltese Falcon titled Satan Met a Lady (1936) and the original Bordertown (1935) with Paul Muni (though I prefer the Ida Lupino version); that evening, the fourth installment of "Race and Hollywood: Black Images on Film" includes Imitation of Life (1934) and Show Boat (1936); Friday is Katharine Hepburn's birthday, her film tribute is followed by the TCM premiere of perhaps the best sports drama ever, Hoosiers (1986); Sunday's Mother's Day salute is terrific and that evening's silent is Chaplin's The Circus (1928); next Monday is Joseph Cotten's birthday and although you've probably seen all of the classics being shown, you may not have seen Walk Softly, Stranger (1950) which is definitely worth a look as is that night's Judy Garland: By Myself (2004) documentary and Judgment at Nuremberg (1961) (which I just discovered was inexplicably not among my picks, but now is); next Tuesday is a Henry Fonda birthday tribute followed by Gone With the Wind (1939) and other films included in the fifth installment of RaH:BIoF; and finally, next Wednesday, which begins with one of feaito's favorites, The Barretts of Wimpole Street (1934), is followed by another night & day tribute to May's Star of the Month.

I have to add this film to all of you who get Sundance along with "My Dad Is 100 Years Old" / Special/Other, 15 Mins. SUNDAE May 21 06:00am by Isabella Rossellini.

Open City (1946) Sundance Channel May 20 07:35am

**** (Rated NR)

A priest helps the Italian underground fight the Nazis in occupied Rome.

Cast: Aldo Fabrizi, Anna Magnani, Marcello Pagliero, Maria Michi, Harry Feist, Francesco Grandjacquet, Giovanna Galletti, Vito Annichiarico, Carla Revere, Nando Bruno.

Director: Roberto Rossellini.

Happy Mother's Day, and thanks TCM for the lineup which includes:

The Catered Affair, Mildred Pierce, Bachelor Mother, Imitation of Life, and I Remember Mama

an excellent tribute for this special day!

http://www.classicfilmguide.com/index.php?s=tcm#may18

and they include three TCM premieres which are part of the continuing "Race and Hollywood: Black Images on Film" series this Thursday and one on Friday, Laurel and Hardy's Towed in a Hole (1932); Saturday night's lineup must have been inspired by our thread in this same folder titled "Your Favorite Astaire or Kelly?", beginning with this week's TCM premiere Top Hat (1935) (my favorite of the Fred & Ginger musicals); Sunday's lineup should thrill any true classic movie (and/or silent film) fan as the channel will premiere FIVE films "Starring Rudolph Valentino" (and air two others which have been shown previously); next Monday night's guest programmers are Penn & Teller; it's interesting that next Tuesday's RaH:BIoF, which features yet another TCM premiere, won't include Edge of the City (1957) (I would have liked to have heard Donald Bogle's comments regarding Sidney Poitier's too perfect character in that one); and you can't ask for anymore than next Wednesday's day & night tribute to May's Star of the Month Bette Davis, which features all of her very best films (and a couple of others) from the 1940's (including my favorite, The Corn is Green (1945) and the last airing of the all new documentary Stardust, next Thursday). BTW, some Robert Montgomery films air that morning, including the original When Ladies Meet (1933).

http://www.classicfilmguide.com/index.php?s=tcm#may25

and carrying over from last week's picks, some of Bette Davis's very best films from the 40's (starting tomorrow night) through The Corn is Green (1945) leading up to an excellent "Race and Hollywood: Black Images on Film" lineup this Thursday night, including the Academy Award winning Best Picture In the Heat of the Night (1967) followed by the TCM premiere of Shaft (1971) & Superfly (1972); Friday is John Wayne's birthday, and after this salute TCM begins its Memorial Day Weekend lineup which features an outstanding tribute to those who've died serving their country, several notable films include the foreign language film Westfront 1918 (1930) from Germany (much like the Oscar winner All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)), Command Decision (1948), and (next Monday) the TCM premiere of The Longest Day (1962); next Tuesday is Howard Hawks's birthday tribute followed by the last installment of RaH:BIoF and a couple more TCM premieres; and next Wednesday begins with various (titled) adventure films before the last evening with May's Star of the Month kicks off with What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962).

This will be the last, full installment of my weekly picks for awhile; because of time constraints this summer, I'll only be providing an abbreviated update on my website (and perhaps here). It'll be at least August before I attempt to resume this effort. Thanks for your interest in this thread!

TCM's outstanding Memorial Day lineup begins this evening with Battleground (1949). Thank you TCM for this annual tribute to those most deserving individuals who have sacrificed and serve our country (today too)!

Some highlights in this week's (June 1-7) schedule include a terrific Frank Morgan B movie called A Stranger in Town (1943) followed by Marilyn Monroe's 80th Birthday salute, Director Ingmar Bergman's Smiles of a Summer Night (1955), this week's TCM Essential Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939) and the infrequently shown Only Angels Have Wings (1939) as part of a terrific lineup of films "Starring Jean Arthur", the beginning of TCM's June fifty film tribute to Leading Ladies (the 50 most unforgettable actresses of the studio era), the first night of Anthony Mann films beginning with the gritty T-Men (1949), and SOTM Anthony Quinn's initial evening lineup.

Some highlights in this week's (June 8-14) schedule include an Alexis Smith birthday salute followed by a couple of TCM premieres "starring Diana Lynn" on Thursday, one feaito recently recommended Loretta Young's pre-code Midnight Mary (1937); a day early birthday salute for Judy Garland on Friday, this week's TCM Import is the hilarious Divorce, American Style (1961); this week's Sunday silent is Harold Lloyd's Speedy (1928); the second installment of Leading Ladies begins with Greta Garbo's great Camille (1936) next Monday night and continues through Tuesday night when the second tribute to director Anthony Mann begins; speaking of the underrated Arthur Kennedy, you won't want to miss Trial (1955), which precedes the second evening of SOTM Anthony Quinn's films next Wednesday.

For sure!

I shall be firmly ensconced in "the comfy chair" [a reference to a famous Monty Python sketch] to watch as many of the Anthony Mann films that eyes and tapes can endure...

Three double features worth noting:

Wednesday June 7: "Knockout" and "Bullets for O'Hara" [featuring Anthony Quinn]

Saturday June 10: "Tension" and "Cause for Alarm" [some early AM noir]

Monday June 12: "Step by Step" and "Born to Kill" [featuring Lawrence Tierney]

[have your recording devices ready for these ones - unless you're a night owl]

I'm spotlighting this film because P.G. Wodehouse (one of my favorite writers) has his hands all over it. He was brought to Hollywood at the onset of sound and this is one of his works.

Those Three French Girls (1930)

Turner Classic Movies Jun 15 09:15am

** (Rated NR)

Three attractive young women cause misadventures for visiting Americans. Dialogue by P.G. Wodehouse graces a story in his own vein.

Cast: Fifi D'Orsay, Reginald Denny, Cliff Edwards.

Director: Harry Beaumont.

Writing credits:

Frank Butler, Arthur Freed. Story by P.G. Wodehouse

Thanks, allie, for posting that! I am a HUGE Wodehouse fan and I probably would've missed that one. I became a Wodehouse fan when my local PBS station showed the superb BBC series Jeeves and Wooster, starring Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, respectively.

Sandy K

> I am a HUGE Wodehouse fan and I probably

> would've missed that one. I became a Wodehouse

> fan when my local PBS station showed the

> superb BBC series Jeeves and Wooster

Do you know about Wodehouse Playhouse? It's a 20-episode BBC series on DVD that's based on 20 Wodehouse stories. Wodehouse introduces the first seven stories (he was in his 90s at the time). It's not as good as the later Jeeves and Wooster series, but it's still a lot of fun.

DavidE

http://www.classicfilmpreview.com

Thank you for your suggestion, allie, I had that one on my list too.

Some highlights for the coming week (June 15-21) include Rashomon (1950) and the TCM premiere of Fanny and Alexander (1983), also being shown are Rules of the Game (1939) & Grand Illusion (1937), and The Thin Man (1934) is this weekend's TCM Essential, The Gold Rush (1925) is this Sunday's silent, Marion Davies's Show People (1928) will be shown as part of the Leading Ladies tribute, Gary Cooper's Man of the West (1958) will be one of the films shown as part of the salute to director Anthony Mann, and Jane Russell's birthday will be honored before the third evening with SOTM Anthony Quinn.

This thread just crossed over the 10,000 view mark, thanks for your interest!

Highlights for the coming week (June 22-June 28) include: City for Conquest (1940) and the TCM premiere of Billy Wilder Speaks (2006) on Thursday (the director's 100th Birthday); Black Narcissus (1947) is this weekend's TCM Essential and it's followed by The Red Shoes (1948) on Saturday night; TCM will air The Cat and the Canary (1927) for the very first time as this Sunday's Silent; Monday night's Leading Ladies series continues and features Sofia Loren in Two Women (1960) and Mary Pickford's Sparrows (1926) (among others); director Anthony Mann's best Westerns are on display next Tuesday night; and next Wednesday, which will be the last evening with SOTM Anthony Quinn (including Lawrence of Arabia (1962)), will feature two little gems you may not have seen - Sing and Like It (1934) & The Loved One (1965).

Billy Wilder Speaks (2006) turned out to be quite good, if a bit incoherent near its end. Not being bi-lingual myself, I found it fascinating how, when he spoke, he changed from English to German and back again so seamlessly with the interviewer, who could also speak both languages. Lots a little tidbits about his movies, moviemaking in general, the writers and actors/actresses with whom he worked.

Before I leave town for a few days, another heads up for Sing and Like It (1934), early next Wednesday morning; a little comedic gem (which unfortunately runs out of steam at the end) starring Nat Pendleton, Edward Everett Horton, John Qualen, and Ned Sparks (among others). Pretty funny B programmer!

http://www.classicfilmguide.com/index.php?s=pageA&item=85

• 2 weeks later...

There are some great films, not often found on TCM, on the coming week's (July 6-12) schedule and I would be remiss if I didn't mention them:

The Romance of Rosy Ridge (1947) is more than just Janet Leigh's screen debut; I found the Civil War rhetoric to be surprisingly relevant for today's times. That evening's schedule is our first with June's SOTM, the beautiful Elizabeth Taylor!

Friday's daytime lineup is terrific and it's followed by the essential political thriller The Manchurian Candidate (1962) at midnight ET, then the TCM premiere of the foreign film Tokyo Drifter (1966).

Of course, this Saturday is Kyle's (TCM Challenge) inspired Pulp Fiction theme night!

Sunday night, don't miss Paul Muni's Angel on my Shoulder (1946) with Claude Rains, and Anne Baxter.

Monday's schedule is bursting with terrific British movies including the TCM premiere of the Academy Award winning Best Picture Tom Jones (1963).

Tuesday morning is full of pre-codes and that evening's tribute to Paul Newman includes Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969); Robert Ryan's The Set-Up (1949) airs at 4:30 AM ET on 6/12 too.

Thanks, path. I asked a bit ago where this thread was but have since found it on my own. I panicked over not finding it!

Amazingly, I did NOT have Angel On My Shoulder taped... :0

NO ONE should be without this movie in their library, it is simply wonderful.

I watched a bit of Billy Wilder...on the subject of bilinguality (is that a word?) I just yesterday surfed by SINO television and caught Jackie Chan being interviewed in what appeared to be a Chinese version of James Lipton's icky show. It was fascinating watching him speak Chinese...duh, he is Chinese!...and especially seeing how emotional he was getting without understanding him. Also fascinating was the fact that the channel appeared to have closed captioning, as they had Chinese characters as a trailer. More's the pity that they didn't include subtitles, I would have liked to know what he was saying.

Maybe you'd like some Hong Kong movies if you liked that Jackie Chan bit. I used to frequent an arthouse theater in Cambridge,MA that would have a Hong Kong night weekly, with some of Chan's movies, but also more serious stuff like John Woo's Chinese movies and other subjects, not just the martial arts stuff ... but that's all good, too. If you want a treat, try and find Chow Yun-Fat's Chinese movies to rent on DVD. The Killer, Hard-Boiled and Peace Hotel are great ones ... the first two are John Woo's, when he was allowed to be great.