Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Great Movie Alert!

As a trivial aside there's a new movie out now called

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006).

It's about street racing or "drifting" (skidding and sliding the vehicle).

Both movies involve the Yakuza but I'm not sure

of any other similarities as I haven't seen either one.

A few notable (not often shown or relatively unknown) films on this coming weekend's schedule worth pointing out:

Friday, Our Vines Have Tender Grapes (1945) & Kind Lady (1951)

Sunday (early Monday) - Cops (1922) - one of Buster Keaton's best

• 2 weeks later...

'Til We Meet Again (1940)

A shipboard romance blossoms between a dying girl and a criminal on his way to prison. Neither one knows the other's secret.

Trivia for

'Til We Meet Again (1940)

? Illness caused director Edmund Goulding to be replaced for much of the film. Anatole Litvak shot approximately 26% of the film, William Keighley 4%, and William K. Howard shot a few retakes. Goulding shot 70% of the picture around bouts of pneumonia.

? Pregnancy caused Geraldine Fitzgerald to miss several shooting days. A double was used where possible.

? Remade as a segment of "The Love Boat" (1977), with John Forsythe and Ursula Andress in the lead roles. This was part of the two-hour season-opening special "The China Cruise" (7.1, 1 October 1983).

Also Known As:

Till We Meet Again (USA) (alternative spelling)

We Shall Meet Again (USA) (working title)

Runtime: 99 min

Language: English

Color: Black and White

Sound Mix: Mono (RCA Sound System)

Certification: Australia:G / Finland:K-16 / Sweden:15

Production Companies

? Warner Bros. Pictures

Distributors

? Warner Bros. Pictures

Both made at Warners, about eight years apart.

ONE WAY PASSAGE had Kay Francis and William Powell.

One Way Passage (1932)

Directed by

Tay Garnett

Writing credits

Robert Lord (story)

Wilson Mizner

Suave Dan Hardesty, a convicted murderer, is apprehended by Steve Burke, a police detective, in Hong Kong and accompanied on the SS Maloa headed for San Francisco. On board, Dan romances Joan Ames, a terminally ill socialite. She is unaware that his ultimate destination is San Quentin. Both realize that their time together is fleeting so they make a pact to meet at a Mexican night club on New Years Eve. When they part in San Francisco they know that the odds are against them.

Also Known As:

S.S. Atlantic (USA) (working title)

Runtime: 68 min

Language: English

Color: Black and White

Sound Mix: Mono

Certification: USA:Unrated

Awards: Won Oscar.

Produced by

Robert Lord .... producer (uncredited)

Hal B. Wallis .... producer (uncredited)

Original Music by

W. Franke Harling (uncredited)

Bernhard Kaun (uncredited)

Cinematography by

Robert Kurrle

Film Editing by

Ralph Dawson

Art Direction by

Anton Grot

Costume Design by

Orry-Kelly (gowns)

Second Unit Director or Assistant Director

Robert Fellows .... assistant director (uncredited)

Other crew

Leo F. Forbstein .... conductor: Vitaphone Orchestra

Al Dubin .... lyricist (uncredited)

Ray Heindorf .... orchestrator (uncredited)

Bernhard Kaun .... orchestrator (uncredited)

Crew believed to be complete

Production Companies

? The Vitaphone Corporation

? Warner Bros. Pictures

Distributors

? Warner Bros. Pictures

Don't forget the TCM premiere of Private Screenings: Angela Lansbury tomorrow night; it should be a great addition to this wonderful series! In fact, the first week of Summer Under the Stars is something to behold:

August 1 - Angela Lansbury including several great films like Kind Lady (1951), The Manchurian Candidate (1962), The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945), and The World of Henry Orient (1964). Gaslight (1944) airs on 8/29 as part of Ingrid Bergman's day.

August 2 - Groucho Marx (catch up on any of the Brothers films you haven't seen)

August 3 - Susan Hayward including the TCM premiere of The Hairy Ape (1944), and her Academy Award winning Best Actress performance in I Want to Live! (1958) (and two of her other Oscar nominated performances).

August 4 - Gregory Peck including his Oscar winning Best Actor portrayal of Atticus Finch in To Kill A Mockingbird (1962) (and his AA nominated performance in The Yearling (1946))

August 5 - Humphrey Bogart (The African Queen (1951) airs on 8/11 as part of Katharine Hepburn's day; Casablance (1942) airs on Ingrid Bergman's day)

August 6 - Robert Duvall (not Doris Day as originally scheduled) includes 4 TCM premieres (two of which are the Best Picture Godfather movies) and his Best Actor Oscar performance in Tender Mercies (1983)

August 7 - Burt Lancaster includes his first Best Actor Oscar nominated performance in From Here To Eternity (1953)

Path,

Thank you for reminding me about this week's upcoming highlights. I must admit that I normally find more than one movie with Susan Hayward to be rather intense, to put it mildly, (did she have a sense of humor?). But, I am looking forward to 2 of her 24 hour marathon of films, because of the presence of interesting actors:

The Hairy Ape(1944) with the fine character actor William Bendix in the lead as one of Eugene O'Neill's lost souls.

Deadline at Dawn(1946) with the estimable Paul Lukas as a--can it be?--cabbie. I also have read about this movie as an unsung noir beauty based on a Cornell Woolrich story.

Has anyone seen either of these films? What was your take on them?

cinemabuff, do yourself a favor and watch the original, One Way Passage (1932), this afternoon at 6:45 PM ET even though you just watched (and enjoyed) the remake, 'Til We Meet Again (1940). It will be interesting to see what you think, since I watched them in chronological order. The first film is much tighter (only 68 vs. 100 minutes long), and better IMO ... and Frank McHugh is in both! On my site, I've listed the original among my essentials, but not the second (even though I enjoy it too, and love Merle Oberon).

songbird, I've seen neither of those films, so I can't provide any info. I understand what you're saying about Susan Hayward too, but I like so many of her films (including those, regardless) anyway. They Won't Believe Me (1947), The Lusty Men (1952), I Married A Witch (1942) - a comedy, The Fighting Seabees (1944), and even Ada (1961) are less emotionally draining to watch than her Best Actress Oscar nominated performances. If you haven't seen The Lusty Men or Ada, I'd recommend them, FWIW.

I can't believe that no one has mentioned that this movie (which is not available on DVD) is coming on today. MGM went all out for this one and it is a great example of Technicolor at it's best.

The Three Musketeers (1948)

Movies, 125 Mins.

*** (Rated NR)

Swordsmen Athos, Porthos, Aramis and D'Artagnan foil a plot against the king by Lady de Winter and Richelieu.

Cast: Lana Turner, Gene Kelly, June Allyson, Van Heflin, Angela Lansbury, Frank Morgan, Vincent Price, Keenan Wynn, John Sutton, Gig Young, Robert Coote, Reginald Owen, Ian Keith, Patricia Medina, Richard Stapley, Byron Foulger, Sol Gorss, Sol Gross, Robert Warwick, Marie Windsor, Ruth Robinson.

Director: George Sidney.

Lots of TCM premieres in the coming week (see my website for details). Day by day highlights include:

Claire Trevor (today!) in Key Largo (1948), but I'm looking forward to seeing the Ida Lupino directed Hard, Fast and Beautiful (1951) per mongo's recommendation and the fact that it's about tennis!

Jane Powell (Wednesday) in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954), also see Debbie Reynolds and Carleton Carpenter sing the Aba Daba Honeymoon song in Two Weeks With Love (1950).

John Garfield (Thursday) in Force of Evil (1948) and many other great movies that day

Katharine Hepburn on Friday, a great day of programming

Rock Hudson (Saturday) - though two of the best films (Bright Victory (1951) & Winchester '73 (1950)) don't really feature the actor

Walter Matthau (Sunday) - see Fail-Safe (1964) if you haven't yet; it was unfortunately overshadowed by Kubrick's spoof of the same subject that year

Lana Turner, Richard Dix, then Joseph Cotten's day (next Wednesday) features the TCM premiere of Love Letters (1945) and Walk Softly, Stranger (1950) which is worth a look!

You know, I love the fact that you take the time to get us up to date,you spoil us path40a,thanks! I really,really want to see 7 brides/7 brothers,I've never seen the whole movie .I am also definitely interested in both Kate Hepburn and Rock Hudson.