Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does SUGGEST A MOVIE ever work??

zdforme

I Know they have WORLD WITHOUT END on file but for some reason they just don't seem to play it! they do seem to keep playing over and over again the same movies, I think they might need someone NEW in their scheduling department who is MORE open minded -

Nicholas

There Are rights issues with a lot of titles, but I can only assume the TCM staff take the requests to heart.

I recall a couple years ago asking for George Cukor's "A Bill of Divorcement" (1932) which had never aired on TCM as near as I could see, even though it was an RKO title and presumably a part of the Turner library. It didn't even turn up during the Katherine Hepburn star of the month tribute, despite being mentioned prominantly in one of the newly-commissioned documentaries. (ABOD was Kate's film debut)

So, anyhow, I clicked the button back in '07 to request the title, and it's turned up about 3 times on the schedule since, including a recent airing as part of John Barrymore night.

Of coruse this may be coincidence and have nothing to do w/requesting the movie, but it's nice to think I may have played some teeny role in dictating the TCM schedule.

My advice: Keep on requesting titles. Couldn't hurt.

Cordially,

Dan

I suggested Let No Man Write My Epitaph and TCM is showing it in April so I like to think I had something to do with that. I'll keep suggesting Rumble on the Docks, The Lively Set, The Brothers Rico, The Guns of Navarone, and For Those Who Think Young, being a big fan of James Darren, along with Gunman's Walk and Operation Madball for the same reason. So keep trying.

My answer is "yes." I used to post one or two requests a month and some of them were aired:

The Woman on the Beach

The Locket

Stranger on the Third Floor

The File on Thelma Jordon

I'm very grateful that each and every one of those films aired, too.

I haven't requested films for a few months, so I guess I need to get back to doing so. It's time for more Fritz Lang and film noir requests. Secret Beyond the Door...!

Yes, as others pointed out, it does work. However, keep in mind that it can take months or even years for TCM to get the rights to a certain film, if they can get them at all. I think the chances are better now. When TCM was owned by Ted Turner they were pretty much locked into just showing what was in the Turner Library. Now, that Warner Bros. controls those films and TCM has to lease them the same as anybody else they've made deals with other studios such as Columbia and Paramount so they have a broader selection to choose from. Of course, they still can't get every film that's requested but I think the odds are better now. Just send in your requests and keep your fingers crossed.

As for "WORLD WITHOUT END", it was released by Allied Artists and those films are now owned by Warner Bros. I read on another forum that the AA films were in pretty bad shape and WB was working on restoring them. (that's what's holding up the Bowery Boys films too) I would think that TCM would love to try and lease them when they finally become available.

It does work, you just have to be patient. And it never hurts to suggest it every few months or so, just to keep the title in the mix. Three I've suggested, two of which have already aired and one which is scheduled for April:

Full of Life -- Judy Holliday and Richard Conte

Love with the Proper Stranger -- Natalie Wood and Steve McQueen

Something Wild -- Carroll Baker and Ralph Meeker (Scheduled for April 9th)

Good luck!

Di

Oh yes, this works and I'm grateful to TCM for showing THE RED MILL and other Marion Davies gems, on her birthday. But mama always said life's a box of chocolates and the serendipity of discovering what's on the schedule each month is just fun, something for everyone most days...

Thank you for the good info on WORLD WITHOUT END - I shall be patient as I am a true TCM fan as they have played many a great movie and I realize there are thousand upon thousands of movies and just maybe this year like Universal did with some of the 50's classics , WB will release this movie to DVD - restored -

Thanks ~~

Nicholas

YES! that is the one! One of my favorites and I will just keep asking and hope they can play it this year ! TCM did play THE SATAN BUG which is one I also requested alot - I am hoping that one and WORLD WITHOUT END both end up on DVD someday soon - Just for my SCI FI collection -

Thanks ~~~

Nicholas

I've used it a few times but only to suggest obscure titles I have but a forlorn hope of seeing. It seems to me that so many titles are suggested each day that I don't see how my little requests will ever be noticed.

That said I certainly never thought I would see the "Five Little Peppers" series and yet low and behold TCM aired them twice recently.

I have found that over many years of viewing that, much like Rick's Cafe, everything eventually comes to TCM. I waited years for films like "Destry Rides Again", "Hell's Angels", "Merrily We Live","The Talk of the Town" and others and a large number finally showed up.

Even Fox Films like "Sunrise", "Wings", "Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte" and "How Green Was My Valley" have been shown.

It seems to go in cycles. These days Mary Pickford silents, Dietrich's von Sternberg films, and Universal horror pictures are out though they used to be shown fairly often. Now Columbia films such as Judy Holiday's filmograghy and Disney live action films are in when we never saw them on TCM before.

I'm still waiting after many years for Borzage's "Seventh Heaven" and Negulesco's "Road House" . Maybe I should suggest them.

Message was edited by: molo14

Yes, it works, for me, anyway. Several very obscure titles that I've requested have been shown. Of course, if you show any desperation in your request, they immediately pick up on that and you become a good target for the programmers' water cooler jokes. ;-)

I have requested ''State of the Union'' and ''Journey to the Center of the Earth'' numerous times with no luck.

Requested ''Keeper of the Flame'' many times and it was finally shown, whether it was due to my request who knows, but at least it was shown.

Thank you ! YES I must admit I did request many times THE SATAN BUG & THE 27th DAY and they were Both shown NOW I am hoping to watch WORLD WITHOUT END ( 1956) as a few years ago I saw a Portion of this movie which I have always loved , wishing it to be on DVD so I am hoping someday TCM will find it and play it - I love TCM because they are one of the very few stations that play the classics UNCUT without all those annoying commercials - Thanks !!

Nicholas

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings