Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Swedish Actresss Eva Dahlbeck Dies

edgeciff

Eva Dahlbeck who starred in many Ingmar Bergman films has died at the age of 87 in Sweden of Alzheimer's disease. Dahlbeck's most memorable film role for Berman was in SMILES OF A SUMMER NIGHT released in 1955 and later adapted for the musical stage by Stephen Sondheim. Other films for Bergman include A LESSON IN LOVE and BRINK OF LIFE. Dahlbeck also appeared in the English language film THE COUNTERFEIT TRAITOR in 1961 which starred William Holden and Lilli Palmer. In addition Dahlbeck was seen in the memorable 1950's TV series FOREIGN INTRIGUE.

• 7 months later...

Now that I've seen Smiles of a Summer Night for the first time six months after her death, I would agree she was a remarkable actress. I've never seen "The Rose Tattoo" so I don't know if Dahlbreck gave a better performance than Anna Magnani. On the other hand, I would still think the Best Actress of 1955 was Uma Das Gupta in "Pather Panchali."

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings