Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
chinaseas

Kay Francis

Did anyone catch Storm at Daybreak or The White Angel ? Both were entertaining, but I preferred the latter film. In the first, Walter Huston is too over-the-top, almost manic at times, in his portrayal as Kay's husband, and his hair looks really bad. Nils Asther, as the soldier whom Kay begins to fancy, looks really good, and plays his role very well. Eugene Pallette supplies a little comic relief. The White Angel is the story of Florence Nightingale (Kay, of course), and shows how she constantly ran up against the male-dominated army. No romantic interests in this one, just a fairly straightforward telling of her work with wounded/sick soldiers under impossibly crude conditions. Donald Crisp and Montagu Love add a bit of villainy.

> {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}

> Did anyone catch Storm at Daybreak or The White Angel ?

Recorded both and hope to be watching them soon. Did you watch or record her swan song, *Allotment Wives* ?

I haven't seen many Margaret Lindsay films, but I liked her in THE HOUSE OF THE SEVEN GABLES in 1940, opposite Vincent Price.

Actually, I didn't think Jane was dull in CONFESSION, just unfathomable, which is certainly better than nondescript! Didn't get to see HOUSE ON 56th STREET.

Nothing brought out the mischief in Robert Osborne this month like the fun that he

seemed to be having when introducing and ending these delightful Kay Francis movies.

It was also great that he mentioned our friend Scott O'Brien's book twice this month. RO

really seemed to be having much more fun than usual, didn't he?

I noticed that, too, Moira! Ha! He's such a wonderful host. And I really appreciate it when

he plugs books. The rest can keep up with the Oprah book selections, I prefer to consider

Bob's. :P

And am I the only one creeped out by Jane Bryan's performance? At times she seemed

like a bad seed, staring oddly, her face a grim mask, lost in her own world.

LOL

I kept thinking in the first scenes with her and her girlfriend, they should have switched

the focus to the friend's character, she was prettier and more fun. I thought it cute how she

was dying for Rathbone to notice her so she could have an adventure. I couldn't figure what

Rathbone's intense interest in Jane was motivated by.

> Did anyone catch Storm at Daybreak or The White Angel ? Both were entertaining, but I preferred the latter film. In the first, Walter Huston is too over-the-top, almost manic at times, in his portrayal as Kay's husband, and his hair looks really bad. Nils Asther, as the soldier whom Kay begins to fancy, looks really good, and plays his role very well. Eugene Pallette supplies a little comic relief. The White Angel is the story of Florence Nightingale (Kay, of course), and shows how she constantly ran up against the male-dominated army. No romantic interests in this one, just a fairly straightforward telling of her work with wounded/sick soldiers under impossibly crude conditions. Donald Crisp and Montagu Love add a bit of villainy.

Hi Rich,

I watched The White Angel when it aired---all but the last 15 or 20 minutes and have

recorded Storm at Daybreak but not yet seen it. Kay certainly was versatile, playing

a tender, compassionate nurse as well as the kind of women who sent many to the hospital. :P

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> I noticed that, too, Moira! Ha! He's such a wonderful host. And I really appreciate it when

> he plugs books. The rest can keep up with the Oprah book selections, I prefer to consider

> Bob's. :P

That ought to be a section in the tcm.com website - Bob's Books. ;)

>I watched The White Angel when it aired---all but the last 15 or 20 minutes

Oh, so you missed the part where she murders Ricardo Cortez, who just happened to wander onto the set?

It's just basic mathematics.

Kay Francis + Ricardo Cortez = Kay Francis. Cortez is what we call the "additive identity," even though he seems to get subtracted quite often.

> It's just basic mathematics.

>

> Kay Francis + Ricardo Cortez = Kay Francis. Cortez is what we call the "additive identity," even though he seems to get subtracted quite often.

And exactly how did you come up with your formula? :P

It is based upon empirical evidence after watching a few Kay Francis - Ricardo Cortez films.

Why, you don't think I would post a spoiler here, do you? :P

Seriously, I don't remember, it's been forever since I watched it, but I'll try and screen it again someday soon and tell you all about it. ;)

Yes, I thought Jane's girlfriend was definitely a better choice (for us and Basil)

I loved Kay's scene with Reginald Owen in MANDALAY, lol. She certainly had his number in more ways than one. I wanted more scenes with her as Spot White!

MissGoddess: "I couldn't figure what Rathbone's intense interest in Jane was motivated by."

Bronxgirl: "Yes, I thought Jane's girlfriend was definitely a better choice (for us and Basil)."

The girlfriend did put me to mind of a young Vivien Leigh. But you know men...they love to "deflower" the good girls, hence Jane Bryan. That was conventional casting back then.

P.S. I wasn't too crazy about Kay as a blonde...but in all her midnight beauty in "Mandalay," Whew!

I watched *House on 56th Street* and *My Bill*. I had seen them both a long time ago.

I thought *House on 56th Street* was a perfect Kay Francis type movie. It packed a lot of story in just 68?? minutes.

*Spoilers!*

My favorite scenes were Kay leaving the prison and being jarred by how much the world has changed. Her card game with Cortez on board the ship and her developing partnership with him played well. The card game where Lindsay refuses to quit and of course the murder and it's cover up. All sorted out nicely without having to drag in those tiresome code era police.

*My Bill* was made in 1938 when Kay was on the outs with Warners. It's not a bad film but it's really more of a Dickie Moore vehicle. Kay has to play mother to an ungrateful brood with Moore, as the title character, being the exception. Anita Louise just ten years younger than Kay plays her oldest daughter, followed by Bonita Granville and Bobby Jordan.

Elizabeth Risdon, as the Aunt, plays an old battle-ax who hates Kay and all but calls Bill a bastard. This implication is an interesting twist. Kay's character isn't fully developed here. Her attitude is all sunshine on the outside and what's on the inside isn't really explored.

I haven't watched *The White Angel* yet. I may take a break from Kay and start spreading out her remaining films, that I have yet to see, over the next few months.

Just recently discovered Kay Francis from TCM's recent homage to her. She reminded me a lot of Hedy Lamarr...mainly in the wardrobe department. I read somewhere that she insisted on having beautiful clothes to wear. Her jet black hair parted in the middle was before Hedy ever made an appearance on the screen...but have to admit Hedy looked better..there were also some scenes where Kay wore sort of a turban which later became a trademark of Hedy, particularly from Algiers. Has anyone else noticed the similarities?

Hedger: "Has anyone else noticed the similarities?"

Not really...but I will now that you've mentioned it.

This was a great festival for an unsung early star. That's why I love TCM!

Another Kay Francis movie coming up on Monday (10am Eastern):

*First Lady* (1937)

A U.S. president's granddaughter fights a femme fatale to groom her husband for the White House.

Cast: Kay Francis, Victor Jory, Anita Louise. Dir: Stanley Logan. BW-83 mins, TV-G

And again on Tuesday (5am Eastern):

*Street of Women* (1932)

A property developer is torn between his wife and his mistress.

Cast: Kay Francis, Roland Young, Alan Dinehart. Dir: Archie Mayo. BW-59 mins, TV-G