Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE MONKEY TALKS (Fox Film Corporation, 1927)

radiotelefonia

Yesterday, I decided to watch this obscure and forgotten Raoul Walsh silent production for the Fox Film Corporation. The video version I have is frankly lousy but since it is the only way to watch this film I'm not complaining.

In this film, Walsh tries his hand in the kind of melodrama Tod Browning and, to some extent, Lon Chaney were making at MGM. Here, after a series of melodramatic twist, a quartet of circus performers decided to mask one of them as a monkey that talks, achieving success in Paris. This monkey impersonator gets in a romantic triangle with one of his partners (Don Alvarado) and a performer caled Olivette (a sexy Olive Borden).

Although this production would have worked better as a sound film, Raoul Walsh was a much better director than Tod Browning and he fills his film with excitement. Beyond some silly melodrama and some ridiculous situations, the film does not suffer because of those flaws. Walsh was a master of creating moving and touching situations in the middle of vulgar and idiotic situations. It is good that this film is available.

Highly recommended.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone can give assistance in finding an available copy of this film it would be greatly appreciated. I have searched for it for a long time. I know the Eastman house has a copy, but I am unsure as to the Fox movie copyrights. Thanks in advance!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings