Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM, Cut the Crap

Metropolisforever

That is so not the reason.

Where u got that from is beyond me. TCM has no agenda like that. If TCM had some agendas, then there would be commercials and they would be all about the money they could raise.

Read this article if u want to know more about why the 31 Days of Oscar exists.

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=awardcentral&jump=news&articleid=VR1117980510

Why don't you go watch AMC then. TCM doesn't need the negative comments. Some people are never satisfied and do you really think there is another channel on TV that even comes close to playing the classic TCM plays.

If TCM played nothing but black and whites then you would complain that you cannot see the colorized movies from the same eras. People like you complain even when there is nothing to complain about.

Hey Metropolisforever, cut the crap. Go worry about something that is actually important like world hunger or global warming. If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

>The "keep TCM an old movie channel" thread says the same thing

That's exactly my point. How many threads are going to cover the same ground. I'm not arguing your complaint but these things are everywhere. They all say more or less the same thing. They are in this forum, they are in the Hot Topics forum.

The percentage of duplicated threads is what is becoming a problem. See filmlover's comments in the Genre section.

>Why would they need an excuse?

The problem is, once the newer movies are introduced through the excuse of an Academy Award Salute, they tend to never go away, and they become part of the "library", which means for every new movie introduced, an old movie disappears, such as "Phantom Lady".

They want to hold on to as many of us old movie fans as possible, while bringing in new subscribers among young adults and teenagers who pester their fathers to pay for the ?second tier? of cable and satellite fees.

This whole thing is a bit ridiculous. TCM plays classic movies. First point: not all old movies are considered "classics" because some suck. Its a sad truth. So stop complaining about the TCM lineup not always being black and whites from the thirties. Second: yeah,some of the movies they're playing this month are perhaps a little too new like Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (that came out like four years ago, thats pushin it). However, how can we complain about great Academy Award winners from like the 80s (like 20 to almost thirty year old flicks). Thats pretty old. Sorry if you were like 30 in the eighties, but twenty-thirty years is kinda a long time. Its not like TCM is playing "Step Up" or "American Pie" or anything ridiculous and badly made. So broaden your horizon's for a month and realize that the greatness of a film is what makes it a classic, not it's age.

>Sorry if you were like 30 in the eighties

Hell no! I wasn't even born.

I don't have a problem with TCM airing movies from the '80s.

I DO have a problem with TCM airing movies from the '90s and '00s.

Like I said, there are THOUSANDS of Oscar films from before 1990. TCM does not NEED to show modern movies.

I don't "hate" modern movies. I just don't want them on TCM.

If you want my opinion, It seems like a waste of time trying to get TCM to consistently play old films. TCM will always have a wide selection of cinema from all decades whether you like it or not. It's true, TCM does find exuces to play modern cinema, and it is annoying, but one of my philsophy is "Don't complain about things that you can not change" . If you want to watch an old film, change the channel or buy a film.

When y'all are done, I've got the juice boxes and graham crackers ready for your snack time.

Then you can choose what you want to do next - finger paints or modeling clay?

There is so much mis-information and paranoia being thrown around in here I feel like I am at the Free Republic website.

Kyle In Hollywood

I half and half agree with you. I thought that showing the Lord of the Rings film and The Nightmare Before Christmas was a bit overdoing it. Although I get annoyed when they don't play 1930's movies constantly, because I like them.

And I agree that 20 years is and old movie, although I do get a tad annoyed when they play movies like "Tommy", and so on.

I think now, that maybe they should have only old oscar movies, and not new ones!

"There was a TCM promo on TNT????? Ohhhh........."

I saw the TCM "31 Days" Promo locally on MSNBC. (Sponsored by "SoCal Honda Dealers")

And another poster has written that the Promo is running in the theaters before feature films.

I woudn't read anything into where the promo is being used to draw attention to the "31 Days" Event.

Kyle In Hollywood

I've seen TCM promos on several different cable networks at various times. I will say that I enjoy them much more than some of the standard fare that has an annoying person with an even more annoying voice and big hair trying to convience me to buy something I neither need, nor want....

As far as that goes, MY defination of a OLD movie differs from that of my children . And if TCM wishes to program an occasional movie that my children consider "old" but I don't... That is OK, just as long as they have more months like Janurary, when I was able to so many old, early Cagney's, that I had never seen before.

TCM promos on other networks? Yes! I am all in favor of it! Other channels are junked up with ads anyway, why not TCM running ads to attract new viewers? I would like to see TCM advertise on youth oriented channels like MTV, M2 and VH1, in order to attract and develop that market segment. I hope they have the "war chest" with which to do this, as it is not cheap.

Thelma

My defination of an "Old Movie" differs from that of my children (ages 29 and 31) . I have no problem with TCM playing occasional movies from the 80s and 90s as long they have months like Janurary, when I was able to view so many early Cagney movies that I had never had the chance to see before.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings