Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Movie Orgy (1968) - IDEAL for TCM Underground!

Metropolisforever

The Movie **** (1968) was an epic collection of B-movies, 16mm films, commercials, and trailers that Joe Dante seamlessly edited together into one seven-hour monster while he was in college. The film, assembled without permission of the clips' owners, toured colleges and repertory cinemas with support from Schlitz beer.

In a 2000 interview, Joe Dante said:

>When I was in Locorno this year for the film festival, we ran The Movie **** for the first time since God knows when, and I was surprised it could get through the projector. I was surprised how well it played with a European audience. They don't have the nostalgic associations that everybody else does with the material. They just thought it was hilarious. It was all, you know, Defenders Of America cards that you get from Quaker Oats that had, like, rockets and offensive missiles on them and stuff. I guess they just got into the political absurdity of it. But that was a pastiche of a lot of absurd things, which is probably how a lot of my films could be described. (Laughs.)

>The problem was that it started out when I was in college in the '60s, and we abandoned it when I started working with Roger, because I couldn't devote enough time. But by then the culture got more self-conscious. You could use an old serial from the '40s where everybody is being sincere, and it would be very funny because of the sincerity. But then when you got into using clips from The Man From U.N.C.L.E.?which were shows that already knew they were funny; they were spoofing themselves?it wasn't funny anymore. People didn't have the nostalgia for it, they didn't have the attention. That kind of thing really doesn't work once you get past the mid-'60s.

>Schlitz Beer paid us to take it around the country. One 16mm print. We had to cut it to four hours because people were complaining it was too long. But the great thing about it was that at seven hours, you could leave, you could come back, you could get a pizza. It didn't matter, because you didn't miss anything. And there were several features that were intertwined, so there was a story that went through the whole thing. And there were pieces of TV shows and cartoons, commercials, outtakes, and all kinds of fun stuff. It was very entertaining.

>This was more like watching eight hours of moments from your youth. I think that was the appeal. People were together in a big room, and all of a sudden they all could sing the theme from Tales Of A Texas Ranger, which they saw as a little kid and hadn't seen in 25 years. Plus, most of them were stoned. So it was quite an epiphany for them. I still have people come up to me and say, "The Movie **** was the greatest movie I ever saw in my whole life." Of course, these people look like they're kind of spacey.

>It didn't really get me a job, but Jon Davison, who was a friend of mine who sort of provided the films for me to splice, went out to work for Roger as head of production and brought me in as a trailer editor. I had never even been in the same room as a 35mm print, but you learn by doing. Sink or swim, as Corman said, and I just learned how to do it.

Message was edited by: Metropolisforever

Is this another collection of vignettes, similar to 'Amazon Women on the Moon' satire?

Either way, I'll take faux commercials over real ones any time, so count me in, since that's the 'underground's purpose and audience.

The corporations are opposed by the LoTeks, a resistance movement risen from the streets: hackers, data-pirates, guerilla-fighters in the info-wars - William Gibson's 'Johnny Mnemonic' (85-95)

>That sounds like a load of fun, I must confess I have never heard of it. Sounds like it would make for a real fun evening.

I agree.

Apparently, it was a seven-hour long montage, consisting of clips from public domain features like Reefer Madness, U.S. Army training films, old TV commercials, and trailers for bizarre flicks like "The Shoemaker and the Elves". The juxtaposition of the mainstream stuff with the titillating stuff makes it quite a shock to the senses. This movie sounds like a lot of fun.

Message was edited by: Metropolisforever

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings