Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The First Film That Comes to Mind...

2 hours ago, Peebs said:

Midnight (1939)

Next:  bicycle

Incidentally I think films with Billy Wilder scripts directed by Mitchell Leisen are better than films with Billy Wilder scripts directed by Billy Wilder. WIlder doesn't know how to curb excesses or delete poor ideas. Plus he lacks the class and understanding that Leisen has when it comes to set design and costuming.

Now that I got that rant out of the way...LOL

THE BICYCLE THIEF (1948)

Next: unicycle

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

ncidentally I think films with Billy Wilder scripts directed by Mitchell Leisen are better than films with Billy Wilder scripts directed by Billy Wilder.

Just my opinion, but I think you've been smoking the cheap stuff...

written and directed by Billy Wilder:  The Apartment,  Some  Like It Hot,  Double Indemnity,  Sunset Blvd., The Lost Weekend , Ace in the Hole, The Seven Year Itch, Witness for the Prosecution, One, Two, Three     Nice  list of films that have remained impeccably entertaining and watchable over the years.  

=====

1 hour ago, shutoo said:

written and directed by Billy Wilder:  The Apartment,  Some  Like It Hot,  Double Indemnity,  Sunset Blvd., The Lost Weekend , Ace in the Hole, The Seven Year Itch, Witness for the Prosecution, One, Two, Three     Nice  list of films that have remained impeccably entertaining and watchable over the years.  

=====

I thought about those films when I made my earlier comment. I think parts of all those films don't work. But what does work is what makes them revered classics. They are definitely not perfect films. And I think that's because Wilder's ego wouldn't let him cut any thing that should have been cut. Leisen approached the material as a director not trying to protect his own "great"writing.

The very reason Wilder wanted to be a director in Hollywood was to protect all his scenes. Sometimes a scene has to go. 

Anyway, I knew I'd run into opposition because Billy Wilder fans have nearly canonized him. But I think he lacks class and good taste in much of his approach. In my view his films rely too much on gimmicks, while Leisen's films are much more stylized.

1 hour ago, shutoo said:

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Incidentally I think films with Billy Wilder scripts directed by Mitchell Leisen are better than films with Billy Wilder scripts directed by Billy Wilder. WIlder doesn't know how to curb excesses or delete poor ideas. Plus he lacks the class and understanding that Leisen has when it comes to set design and costuming.

Now that I got that rant out of the way...LOL

THE BICYCLE THIEF (1948)

Next: unicycle

Before we have to take this to General Discussion I just have to say that I'm a big fan of both Mitchell Leisen and Billy Wilder.

However, I find their work incredibly different-- working on different levels.

As much as I may prefer Mitchell Leisen work in general-- I prefer his artistic sensitivities and style--

I have to say that Billy Wilder is a more profound and creatively talented artist than Leisen 

I can be objective, but I still prefer Mitchell Leisen in general, in part because his viewpoints in interest are more in-tune with mine personally.

*I don't have one for unicycle but I can work on it.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Before we have to take this to General Discussion I just have to say that I'm a big fan of both Mitchell Leisen and Billy Wilder.

However, I find their work incredibly different-- working on different levels.

As much as I may prefer Mitchell Leisen work in general-- I prefer his artistic sensitivities and style--

I have to say that Billy Wilder is a more profound and creatively talented artist than Leisen 

I can be objective, but I still prefer Mitchell Leisen in general, in part because his viewpoints in interest are more in-tune with mine personally.

*I don't have one for unicycle but I can work on it.

Did you see my previous remark? We both seem to admire Leisen's style.

If you don't one for unicycle, how about

Unicorn

• Like 1