Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The First Film That Comes to Mind...

Metropolisforever

Re: THE EGG AND I (1947)

I should explain this. My mother was from an upscale suburban family in the Chicago area. She married a farmer's son in 1969 and moved to Wisconsin. Her family derisively called this her "Green Acres period." LOL 

My parents' marriage ultimately did not work out, they were too different...but I think mother did enjoy those years on the farm in North-Central Wisconsin.

When I was 18, I went the reverse direction. After having been raised on a farm and then living in a small town, I went to college in Chicago and stayed with my mother's family. They were terrible snobs. It was a huge culture clash. I could see why my mother never went back to live near her relatives. She moved to Colorado and lived her own life as a divorcee on her own terms.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

should explain this. My mother was from an upscale suburban family in the Chicago area. She married a farmer's son in 1969 and moved to Wisconsin. Her family derisively called this her "Green Acres period." LOL 

oh gee, I thought it meant your dad wore a derby and you had chickens in your kitchen...☺️

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, shutoo said:

oh gee, I thought it meant your dad wore a derby and you had chickens in your kitchen...☺️

Nope. We never had chickens in the kitchen. We had them on the porch!

In THE EGG AND I, the couple's name is MacDonald (the author of the book upon which the film is based is named Betty MacDonald). 

Our last name is McDonald. So there's another connection to the story/movie.

• Like 1

LET ME continue the trend (sort-of): 

A movie that is *supposed* to be funny . . . but you watched it and didn't laugh much at all. 

(ALSO:  I remember when You'll Like My Mother (1972)  was first released on video legally.  UNIVERSAL PICTURES finally put it out on VHS in 2000.  I would've bought that movie for my video stash years before had it been released . . . but it wasn't.  When it did come out I snagged a couple of tapes.  Several years later it was issued on DVD and now it's on Blu-Ray, too). 

On 11/8/2021 at 10:08 PM, _Broadway_ said:

Next:

A movie you find funny that is not a comedy

Five Miles to Midnight.  First time seeing this and laughed out loud when Sophia Loren  repeatedly ran over creepy abusive Anthony Perkins.  Enjoyed the movie but did not expect that scene.  

15 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

A movie that is *supposed* to be funny . . . but you watched it and didn't laugh much at all. 

Analyze That .  (2002)

Next:  a movie you'd  show for Christmas

• Like 2