Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Birth of a Nation

Please, no more personal attacks. You have strayed far from the topic of this thread.

To find out what really happened in history, you need to read history books, magazines, newspapers, journals, personal letters and memos that were written shortly after the events depicted in "Birth of a Nation" took place. I would be happy to teach you how to research historical topics, if you are willing to learn.

If you want to learn some things about D.W. Griffith's inventive film techniques, and those of his cameraman, I can help you with those too.

why are you still going on about "evidence" ? It's clearly documented in histories of the Civil War that what Griffith depicted happened. Not to one family and not to one town... but IT HAPPENED across the south in separate incidents.....and the film is FICTION.... sheesh

Hey you guys, can we talk about something else??? I am going to re-score THE PENALTY (1920)! The music on the Kino DVD might be the worst for any Silent Film that I have ever seen anywhere! Simply dreadful!

Factotum,

How come you have never E-mailed me before???

Ed,

Err, are you talking about THE BIRTH OF A NATION, THE PENALTY, or something else? Check out the Thames version of BOAN, because it is the best print by far! I did not think that the film even survived in that good of a condition until I saw this one! I think I sent you a copy several months ago? It has not been released on DVD in the United States. But I think it has been released in Great Britain? Probably because we are stuck with the Image, and Kino versions over here??? I don't know?

Kevin Brownlow's Photo-play Productions had it seems had exclusive access to the 1921 re-issue, and that it what they used. All other prints, are either the 1915 original, or taken from the sound added 1930 re-issue, The score is by John Lanchbery, not Carl Davis, but it is based on the Original 1915 score, that Griffith had compiled for the debut of film. Portions of which was original Music. I will check on the Composer, as I always seem to forget?

THE KLANSMAN, it was not yet titled THE BIRTH OF A NATION, was the first film to have a full Symphony Orchestra in this case the Los Angeles Phil Harmonic accompany the screening at the premier, which I believe was still in 1914, and not 1915? Ah, here it is "Music By John Lanchbery based on the original 1915 Orchestral score by Joseph Carl Breil".

Ed,

I would like to have the official region 2 DVD release of the Thames version. But I don't know who put it out? Maybe EUREKA? I am not sure? Does anyone here have it?

I'm also looking for the Region 2 DVD release of Keaton's THREE AGES (1923). It is supposed to be a much improved print over the Kino version. Again not sure of the company? Anyone seen this release either?

Ed,

Yes, I first heard about this some 3 years ago, on the Harold Lloyd Forum, but I do not remember the details? The Kino print is not the best, and it's my understanding that a much nicer print, with far less decomposition does exist, and was part of a Region 2 collection awhile back.

Not having a Multi-region player until fairly recently, I was not all that interested. However, I am very surprised that the same version was never released here in the States? At the time, I jguess I just sort of took it for granted that it would be!

The Thames Carl Davis scored versions of OUR HOSPITALITY, and THE GENERAL haven't been released in this Country on DVD either, but they have in the U. K. My copies are from Laser-disc.

There is also a newer master of THE GENERAL by MK2 of France that was released on DVD in Europe in 2005, but it has yet to find it's way over here! Even on TCM! While, I am still curious to see it, to me there are far to many versions of THE GENERAL floating around, and in the overall scope of Silent films this movie is vastly overrated! It's never, ever been among my favorites, and I have seen it dozen's of times since 1979, with at least 6 or 7 different scores!

The most disappointing non-release is the superb Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks Orchestra scored SHERLOCK JUNIOR. Why has this not been released on DVD by anyone? The Club Foot Orchestra score found on the Kino DVD, is just plain awful! Right up there with THE PENALTY, and maybe Mauritz Stiller's EROTIKON (1920), as the most dismal Silent film scores imaginable!

wow how do you keep up on all the music scores? I bought a complete set of Keaton silent films from someplace in China.... the music is variable but you take what you can get... at least the video prints were good.

Ed,

I haven't been keeping up! The last Keaton stuff I bought was the TCM Archives BUSTER KEATON COLLECTION of THE CAMERAMAN (1928), SPITE MARRIAGE (1929), FREE AND EASY (1930), and the SO FUNNY IT HURT, BUSTER KEATON AT MGM Documentary! That was in the latter half of 2004!

I have the Kino THE ART OF BUSTER KEATON Box set, but the disappointing thing is they replaced the excellent Bill Frazil score on GO WEST, with a sub-par synthesized score for the DVD release! I am still trying to find an older Laser-disc version with the Frazzil score.

The Vince Giordano and The Nighthawks Orchestra score to SHERLOCK JUNIOR only aired on AMC! They ran it from 1995, up until about 2001, when the station first went to the dogs!

Why TCM does not have the rights to the Thames versions of OUR HOSPITALITY, and THE GENERAL, I do not understand??? They have been running the Kino release of the former, and the Image version of the latter, with that misrable Alloy Orchestra score!