Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hispanic Stars Month

joefilmone

A salute to Latino stars in Hollywood would be a good choice for a month long series. Think of the rich choices from the silent age ( Ben Hur with Ramon Navarro) musicals ( Carmen Miranda) Oscar winners ( Jose Ferrer in " Cyrano) sci-fi ( Raquel Welch in " One Million Years B.C.) and muchos muchos mas....

no not Katy... I just get tired of the idea of breaking actors (or anyone) down into ethnic categories for whatever reason.

The idea of Latino Grammy Awards and Black Miss Americas and salutes to left handed actors seems rather dumb to me no matter how well intentioned.

Having lived in New Mexico for more than 20 years, I'm sick to death of Hispanic Cultural Centers and anything of that ilk that basically does little more than continue to divide people and continue to stress superficial differences in the name of diversity.

I found out today at work that disabled workers are "tracked" through the lab's "diversity office." A person in a wheelchair is diverse? It's such a stupid a demeaning concept, that it's beyond words.

So no offense to anyone or even the person who started this thread.... you caught me on a bad day.

Did you just see "Little Big Man"?

Din? means "human beings". This is the only movie where I've seen that term used properly.

Nearly every Indian tribe in the old days had a name for themselves, and the general translation of that name was "human beings".

It could also mean "us", "we, the people". So, Din? means "us human beings" to the tribe that uses that name.

Some tribes eventually began to use the general term "Indian" to mean all Indians, but many modern ones don't care much for that word.

The name "Navajo" is supposed to be an old Tewa name for the tribe and it has various meanings. White man adopted that name for the Din? since that is what the old Spanish used.

drednm said he had lived in New Mexico for 20 years, so I wanted to give him a test.

I thought Pina Pellicer was really good in Brando?s ?One Eyed Jacks?. Here she is in ?D?as de Oto?o?. She?s the one on the left while sitting down:

She?s the lady by the tree in this clip:

Katy Jurado played her mother in ?One Eyed Jacks?. Here she is in a Mexican movie (she?s the young adult woman on the left):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xagPuONTmVQ

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings