Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

favorite Barrymore

I have loved Ethel in "The Farmer's Daughter" and "Young at Heart", but recently saw all the old Dr. Kildare films with Lew Ayres and Lionel Barrymore as Dr. Gillespie. Lionel was fabulous! Also, just found the old "Family Affair" movie, first in Andy Hardy series and Lionel carried that one too!!

I like all three. They were very different in public personality and in acting style.

There is a movie called "The Royal Family of Broadway",LOOSELY based on

the family.

Frederic March played the"John Barrymoore" character and I thought he

had his mannerisms down to a T.

Ethel was incensed by the movie.

In Grand Hotel, I enjoyed seeing the brotherly affection between John &

Lionel. Was it for real. Who knows.

There is a movie "Kind Lady" in which I thought Ethel was so good.

(Maurice Evans, Angela Lansbury, Keenan Wynn)

Remember the Dr. Kildare series w/ Lionel and Lew Ayres.

I like them all, but lately Ethel has become my favorite. She always seems to have a twinkle in her eye. I especially like her in THE STORY OF THREE LOVES and the Bing Crosby comedy JUST FOR YOU.

As for the others, my favorite Lionel Barrymore performance is as Mr. Potter in IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, favorite John Barrymore performance is in GRAND HOTEL, favorite Drew Barrymore performances are in EVER AFTER and CONFESSIONS OF A DANGEROUS MIND.

Sandy K

• 2 weeks later...

Lionel... And John... OH and I love Drew.

Lionel was amazing and so was John. Love L. as Mr. Potter and in "Dinner At Eight". J. was amazing in "Dinner..." it made me cry so much when he died. And I just love Drew! I also think John Jr. was good too. I haven't really seen much of Ethel.

Except for two Lionel Barrymore films (It's A Wonderful Life) and You Can"t Take It With You) I found his crotchetty old crone act a bit annoying. John seemed to me a big ham...and well pickled toward the end. That leaves Drew, John Jr. and Ethel. I'll take Ethel. She was in command of her roles and delivered a masterful performance every time. Her Ma Mott was her best role as far as I'm concerned.

Forgot Diana...unfortunately she carried on her Father's dedication to booze and it finished her off by the time she reached her mid-thirties.

• 2 months later...

>I found his ((Lionel)) crotchetty old crone act a bit annoying. John seemed to me a big ham...and well pickled toward the end.

John does not come across as hammy, to me anyway. Maybe we're not thinking of the same movies. Anyway, if he is, he gets away with it, at least with me. Lionel came across more that way---if not hammy, at least overdone, as you allude to. John may have been "pickled" at the end (he looked awful in Playmates, his last), but let's not forget his beginnings. Think Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (1920), Don Juan, (1926), and When a Man Loves (1927). Great performances all. Interesting that Rasputin and the Empress ---the only where all three appeared---was a flop, and they thought Ethel was so bad they didn't renew her contract (I think that's correct, isn't it?). Just a factoid, not to pick on Ethel. I'm a lot less familiar with her movies.

I love John, especially in those silents you mention, Lafitte. He was something extraordinary, a bridge between old world theatricality and the 20th century, rueful modernism. I never knew him yet I miss him.

johnb-1.jpg

i might have mentioned it before, but my favorite barrymore is definitely and always will be Ethel Barrymore!!! heehee! i love her in al herm ovie, especially in Farmer's Daughter. i always wanted her to get with charles bickford in it. they were so cute in it together!!!

60401.jpg

ButterS, Thanks for the picture of Ethel, love the texture.

MissG, you remind me that JohnB was a big hit on Broadway with "Hamlet" in '22. He did a little Shakespeare in Show of Shows (1929), Richard III, I believe, the opening speech with interpolations from, I believe, John VI, a common marriage of two speeches to beef up the villainy. Olivier did the same thing in his version. I think John might have been a bit hammy with his Richard but he can be forgiven, talkies were new and he wanted to play it to the hilt.

Hi Theresa, that is a lovely picture of Ethel!

Bonjour, Lafitte---John even managed to win over the English when he brough his stage production of Hamlet to London. I've never seen any of his Shakespearean silents but I thought he was good, if rather long in the tooth, as Mercutio in R&J.