Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Maniac (1934) - Shocking! Raw! He Menaced Women with Strange Desires!

Metropolisforever

Maniac (also known as Sex Maniac) is a 1934 black and white exploitation/horror film, directed by Dwain Esper and written by Hildegarde Stadie, Esper's wife. Dwain Esper brought us many classics, like Reefer Madness, Sex Madness, Marihuana, How to Undress in Front of Your Husband, and others.

The film, a loose adaptation of the Edgar Allan Poe story "The Black Cat", tells the tale of a former vaudeville actor working with a mad scientist who attempts to bring life to the dead. The actor kills the doctor, and, in an effort to hide his crime, "becomes" the doctor, taking over his work, dressing like him, wearing his beard, and slowly going insane. The film features an actress named Phyllis Diller, who is NOT the famous comedienne.

Maniac is in the public domain. A restored version was made available in 1999, as part of a double feature with another Dwain Esper film, Narcotic! (1933).

This movie didn't just ignore the Code. It FLIPPED OFF the Code.

I think that Dwain Esper's films should be aired on TCM Underground.

Message was edited by: Metropolisforever

Message was edited by: Metropolisforever

I happen to have that one ! Great shocker with Phyllis Diller in it !

I used to own the Alpha DVD, but I upgraded to Kino with Maniac and Narcotic on it

Duane Esper sure shocked audiences back then

The cat eye scene was revolting ewww, but luckily it was fiction aka reel not real ..

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings