Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

VHS vs DVD

Big_Bopper

Many people think dvd is better ...... I got news for you. You're wrong. Please feel welcome to weigh in on it. VHS tape has just as much quality as DVD. The problem is our pix bizness chose to down grade it in order to sell the new technology. DVD is entirely censorable. & it can be programmed to self destruct. Also DVD can be copyguarded from recording. I don't see how that is an improvement. I have 11 vcrs. I do not record in dvd. I have 2 dvd players & several dvds. They don't interest me much. What do you think? If you have an opinion, I would like to hear it.

Look I know you are a clique & if you speak to me you;ll be in trouble with the others. So I'll just explain my situation & if you want to reply or not its ok........ I have only been on the computer 4 months. I'm already bored. I am smarter than the web. I am dumbing myself by using it. But my situation is bad - at&t is gouging me for phone service. they charge me 57$ a month. I only use local - no long distance. but they charge me anyway 27$! I can only call 12 miles away. I have only had digital cable 4 months. it costs 47$ a month on comcast. soon I will lose both at&t & comcast. I am old & ill. I cannot afford these luxuries. The corporations have become ruthless.

our new technology is an example of totalitarianism, ever notice an old movie like Body & Soul how people hug kiss & are open with their feelings?,,, that is gone out of our society. we are now like Russia, once you pass the line into totalitarianism you cannot turn back. records were great. vhs was great but the freedoms the people exhibited was frowned upon. the cd & dvd are the corporations device to separate children of today from the freedoms of the past. the past will become a foreign country. in many ways it already is.

I am recording as many movies as I can before I lose TCM. I used to sell tapes of movies. Then I broke my pelvis. At first I thought I'd make a recovery but somehow I got worse. when my pelvis broke I also suffered an abdominal tear. I couldnt stand upright. & the pain. the broken pelvis by itself would be livable. but with the abdominal tear my spinal nerve became irritated & I developed spasms. for two years & went from doctor to doctor & faced continual rejections. I needed an abdominal surgery to repair the tear. Finally I had enough - I went to my local hospital & refused to leave. they called my doctor & she refused to answer the phone (even tho she is on call 24 hrs.) the police came & carted me off to the pokey.

when I got out I got a call from one of the surgeons I had seen 6 months prior. he said he wanted me to see him. When I saw him he said: "Oh yeah you got a hernia" so I replied "Why did I limp around 6 months & get arrested?" he said: "Hindsight is 20 20"......... The operation took exactly 11 minutes. it cost $20,000...... I was pain free! what a feeling! it was like floating........ but it only lasted a month. I noticed a swelling around where the operation was located. I went back to see the surgeon worried sick. He said nothing. he was thru with me. they sent me a letter saying: you have 30 days to find another doctor. turns out the break in the pelvis caused the operation to partially fail. pain & spasms returned. But now I could walk & stand upright. Just I can't walk very far or stand up for very long. I was never on drugs. But now I had to be. Luckily I found a good doctor who understood me. I have been with him 10 years. but my condition has remained the same. This doctor had long talks with me. He told me the medical profession is a racket. He says every week on tv you see miracle cures but its a fraud. They don't help anybody. its all pr.

Back to the topic. When our corporations decided to abandon records I was sceptical. I decided the time was ripe to begin collecting. Luckily I was able to get lps & 45s cheap as juke boxes were replaced. the 45s in them were put on sale. everybody was dumping records. I got as many as I could which was alot. then I started buying thru the mail. To get the songs I couldn't get. At the same time I was recording movies on vhs. Now I am looking for old vhs tapes. Last week I had a lucky find. I got a goodtimes vhs of "House on Haunted Hill" for $2. It is recorded in lp speed but the good thing is its an original print from 1959 full of splices & frames missing. Better quality than the one on tcm. I decided to get 2 versions of every movie. Some I have 3 versions. I run them simultaneously & watch on two tvs. for instance I had an old vhs I recorded of AMC of "the Window" & recorded the Window off TCM last week. The TCM version is inferior in many ways. but mostly it is blurry & the contrast is doctored. I also decided to get 2 versions of widescreen movies. one full frame & the other letterbox. It is an education of corporate operations.

back to the songs. I needed 2 versions of many songs. some 45s were recorded mono & there was also a stereo reissue. So It cost maybe 300$ to get alot of stereo reissues. There are still 50-100 records I was unable to get. But it is interesting to compare the originals & the reissues. The originals were mixed into mono by record engineers for am radio & jukeboxes. around 1968 jukeboxes were almost all stereo & record companies began issuing 45s in stereo but they also reissued the old ones in stereo. For the most part the original mono issues are better - more expressive & more valuable. In many cases the original song was rerecorded in stereo as the original was mono. an example is "I fought the law" by Bobby Fuller Four. You will never hear the original mono version. the stereo version while good is not as good as the original.

Then there are two versions of songs which are long/short. When fm radio began in 1968 special long versions were made similar to widescreen in movies. AM radio played short versions & FM played long versions. So I needed to collect both. You can imagine how complicated, time consuming etc. this can be. But over time its just a hobby & way better than stamp collecting.

engineering secrets. When you look at a full frame video of a widescreen movie what do you see? You see a special version whereby the screen contains what is considered to be the most important elements. this same philosophy is in the records. When a song was mixed into mono it was specially engineered to emphasize what was considered to be the most expressive elements. for instance a sax solo was placed in the front until the solo was over then something else was emphasized. these decisions were made by very experienced people. when the song would be heard on the radio if done properly could improve the song enough to make it a million seller. on each record is written the producer, writer, engineer etc. valuable information not on cds. They say the society went mad in the 60s on drugs & rock n roll. Perhaps if this is true the engineers of these songs were largely responsible. when you hear a cd version of a song no attempt is made to appoximate the sound of the original record.

Some songs have special effects on the record. "Hello I love You" has a wall of fuzz ending on the original record. it is one of the first stereo 45s. as such they decided to experiment. this is diminished somewhat on other versions.

another song with an effect is "love child" by supremes. the beginning sounds like a person taking a leap off a roof & hitting the ground. On the record it is very obvious. the effect is muted on other versions but if you listen to the very beginning you can hear it.

Message was edited by: Big_Bopper

came across this page by accident. But being a record collector, I couldn't help being interested. Here is a bunch of white guys mostly from England reviewing their favorite american soul hits! It an interactive page so you can hear the songs. unfortunately my computer was unable to do so at this time but I was carried away by the sincerity & passion of the collectors. I have none of these records & have not heard of any of them in my life. check it out on a rainy day with a cup of tea.

http://www.hitsvillesoulclub.com/playsnds/rec_review_ghunter.html

hi folks... no need to reply as I know your very busy with your movies. Just wanna say I did correct the problem I had with the sound & have been listening to these songs. The funny thing is I talked about music & the 60's BEFORE I found this page. so basically the collectors independently verify me ....... I dug out LOVE CHILD to hear the thump of the body hitting the ground in the intro. perhaps its a cliche but back in the day a girl being pregnant and the shame attached to it would cause the girl to take a leap off a tenament roof. I refer you to the movie THE HOODLUM 1950 in which a girl is impregnated by Lawrence Tierney & takes the hop of the roof.

In the song LOVE CHILD the story in the song is the girl contemplating this. On the 45 the thump of the body landing is so loud you can feel it! This is much removed from any other issue but still recognizable. Just wanted to clear that up.

BTW a recurring theme should you decide to listen to the songs, is how much music was made independently of the big companies. Later on the big companies bought the independents & naturally the amount of music diminished significantly. The quality as well. In the 80's a sad decline in music began which continues. In the 60's & 70's music was King. Movies were in decline in the 60's & recovered in the 70's but declined for good in the 80's. dig the Hitsville page. It's awesome!

I do agree with you that VHS and DVD have the same picture quality. But the reason I fancy DVD's is that they have all those special features like behind the scenes pix, info on the cast, and... FILM COMMENTARY WHOO HOO!!! I love commentaries... I'm a trivia junkie!!!

P.S. I have such a scrawny little comment compared to all the others. How y'all can write such long things is beyond me. lol!

It's not a discussion unless more than one person is involved. & up until now it is just me talking sort of a lecture. The special features is ok but we lived without them for ,uh, since movies began so they are hardly necessary. What really bothers me that I haven't addressed until now is why, if we are changing our tv, not get the whole world on the same tv system? why bother changing it & still incompatible with Europe? to me it is self defeating. all the tvs are going to be obsolete. still I am going to use my old stuff. I don't care about hollywood or society. I still listen to records.

I can't afford to change.

Hey, BigBopper--You've written some things on this board that you must have known would send up red flags (to put it mildly). All the same, I'm glad I couldn't resist clicking on that link you posted. What I've heard so far at the site is good. I listened to a couple of songs that brought tears to my eyes, they were so beautiful. Thank you.

Folks are discussing their favorite music on various threads, as well as in the composers forum, in case you're interested.

I disagree about the decline of both music and movies--or, about it being recent, anyway. There always seem to be just a handful of brave artists in any year who do anything worthwhile. You have to make the effort to seek out their work.

When I talk about a decline in music, well it is a gigantic noticable occurance. In the 60's the industry used real musicians with skill. orchastras with strings brass, etc. after the decline, electronics replaced musicians. Real music is a team effort. Motown had their own orchestra ... good things do not last forever.

One thing I wanna talk about is how much Hollywood studios in the 60's owned record labels. Warner Bros., Fox, Columbia, MGM, Paramount, United Artists all had music divisions so it may be of interest to movie fans. Northern Soul is a genre now but back then it was just making records. My favorite records to collect are I guess you;d call crime jazz.

Movie/tv.promo records like for instance: Ironside by quincy jones, mannix by lalo schifrin, checkmate by john williams etc. one of the best least known record genres. tell you more later..........

glad you liked the page!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings