Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The River (1928)

gagman66

Wow! I just got the brand new Region 2 DVD of this long lost Frank Borzage classic with Charles Farrell, and Mary Duncan in the Mail! Man, Fox should scour the globe to find the rest of this awesome film! Truly a masterpiece! Borzage had to be one of the greatest talents ever.

The reconstruction is very well done. What remains, of the film has the Vintage Maurice Barron, Erno Rapee score intact, and it is positively spectacular!

Miss Duncan I must say, was a Jaw-Droppingly Beautiful Woman! Lordy Momma!!! I did not remember Her looking anything like this in F. W. Murna's CITY GIRL! I'm gonna have to watch that one again.

Here She plays for lack of a better term "A Kept Woman" though no longer kept, as Her benefactor Marsdon is thrown in prison! She remains in residence at His Cabin. Duncan's character Rosalee, is what might be termed a Nymphomaniac! A genuine Sexual Deviant! She destroys ever Man she has ever come in contact with. That obviously covers a Wide-field and she is bound and determined that innocent Allen John (Farrell), from down the river a Spell, will not be the next one. To many have Fallen at her feet, and died at her feet. She swears off all men, but John after-all is just a Boy, not yet a Man. He's the exception.

Before long Rosalee starts to waver She blatantly throws herself at poor Allen (my goodness he's to be pitied!) nine ways to Sunday, but He is to Timid and Naive to respond, Dauntless, the more He resists, the more she wants him!

This film had to have the sensors from cost to cost crying wolf! Or turning wolf? Which ever comes first? Or maybe just barking "Woof, Woof", at the Smoldering Miss Duncan? I don't know which???

I will try and post a bigger review of the movie at a later date, right now, I am just trying to reconcile it all in my head! I cut half of this review twice already! At any rate, An amazing picture in many ways to say the least!

Ed,

Probably about an Hour? The actual film footage is scattered about all over the place. The rest of the DVD is a GREED type reconstruction, but not nearly as long and drawn out as was done with GREED. I thought the DVD was great, even if the film was not complete.

Brother, they really need to uncover the rest of this movie! The ending appeared to be action packed as Marsdon escapes from the Hooscow, and attempts to reclaim his Mistress!

University Film Museum put out this DVD, and it is certainly a quality product. I wonder if there is any chance they could release a couple of other long unseen Charles Farrell Silent's? Raoul Walsh, THE RED DANCE (1928) with Delores Del Rio. And what is probably the biggest curiosity to me after hearing the extraordinary NEAPOLITAN NIGHTS theme song from the picture FAZIL with Greta Nessin! Neither of these Fox Features have been seen by much of anyone for decades on end!

Jeffrey: Have you had time to reconcile it all in your head? I would be interested in hearing more about this film and the fascinating woman who captured your imagination. Mary Duncan, with her ability to have the censors ?crying wolf, turning wolf and barking Woof, Woof,? must be a wonder to behold! Your description of Charles Farrell as Allen John reminds me of the song NATURE BOY sung by Nat ?King? Cole: ?There was a boy, a very strange enchanted boy? seems rather appropriate. . .ah well

Message was edited by: whistlingypsy

I can only add that Fox did not release talkies outside the United States (except, probably, in certain domestic rural theaters) until 1930. FOUR DEVILS was their film release with a soundtrack and EL PRECIO DE UN BESO (the Spanish language version of ONE MAD KISS) was their first talkie exhibited in Argentina.

However, they still continued releasing silents (reedited versions of talkies) up to 1931. For instance, THE BIG TRAIL was shown in Spain (not in Argentina) as a silent film while the Spanish version of that film, LA GRAN JORNADA, was released the following year.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings