Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

George Raft vs Humphrey Bogart

TripleHHH

Wow, good one! Both actors made about the same # of films, over 70 each. Bogie probably made films that more folks remember today, such as CASABLANCA and THE MALTESE FALCON (1941 version), and even HIGH SIERRA is pretty well known, as is THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE, along with his collaborations with Lauren Bacall. I think he changed as an actor in the 40's when he finally hit his stride with the right scripts and directors; prior to that, his work was uneven, with some glimpses here and there such as in DEAD END, of what was to come. Raft is far less known today, but I personally like him better for some reason, and it's pretty unexplainable why, there is just something magnetic about him for some odd reason.

Don't get me wrong, I groove on them both. But Raft, particularly in his later period--mid-40's and later, just draws me in, despite the fact that his acting is, IMO, not that great. Just a great presence for me. Bogie has that too, of course, but to a lesser extent for me.

Both are very cool dudes!

I totally agree with you...except after viewing movies from both, I am die hard Bogart fan. I wish he were around today

I found out he was somewhat short in height like under 5'8" or something like that..

I read the IMDB to learn as much as I can

All those Bogie films you mentioned are all 5****s to me

No contest. They were never in the same league. Raft was a minor league player and Bogart was an MVP in the majors. Bogie had charisma, or screen presence, and more range as an actor. His body of work will stand forever along with Hollywoods greatest stars. Raft, whose only talent seemed to be his trademark eyes-squint, won't even be a memory.

Raft did turn down roles that Bogie accepted. In hindsight, if Raft had accepted them I wonder what could have happened.

I hate to generalize but my guess is 9 out of every 10 people will know about Bogie more than George Raft

I wonder if he kicked himself for turning those roles down

Can you imagine if Bela did NOT turn down playing the Frankenstein monster ?

I'll agree that there is no contest in terms of their general public legacy. Nearly everyone has heard of Bogie. Only movie buffs have heard of Raft, for the most part. But I don't know if I'd totally agree that Bogie's range was that much better than Raft's. Perhaps a bit. But since I've now seen so many of Bogie's 30's output...well, I'm not so sure that he was *that* much better. For me, both of them are somewhat limited actors, perhaps Raft a bit moreso, who both had tremendous screen presence, which seemed to improve as they aged. I loved Raft in the 30's, but I tended to like him better in the late 40's and early 50's, in B films for the most part. Just something about him.

I like both of them, although Bogart is my all time favorite classic film icon. He has been my hero since I was a little girl. I love that man, But Raft is also great. I enjoy them together in They Drive By Night. Raft is also good in Mr. Ace, with Silvia Sydney. I highly recommend that movie.

-

kpr

"But I don't know if I'd totally agree that Bogie's range was that much better than Raft's. Perhaps a bit."

Yeah, Mark. I did lay it on a little thick. But I do think Bogie had more range in emotions and the types of characters he played, and you're right, not THAT much. I don't dislike Raft, but I do favor Bogie, obviously. His screen presence was undeniable.

I think I read somewhere that he was voted the biggest star of the 1940s and I wouldn't argue against that.

Message was edited by: bOb39

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings