Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
miss_bettyidol

Unfaithfully Yours

Since I?m so besotted with ??The Ghost and Mrs. Muir?? it was impossible to forget Rex Harrison in ??Unfaithfully Yours??. I must confess I had a hard time keeping up with Sir Rex. His voice alone could match the Niagara Falls. No wonder Frank said it must be a tall order to give the man a run for his money. I couldn?t help feeling that Linda was a bit in over her head next to Harrison?s roaring performance. I swear he never jumps off the merry-go-round and there?s a scene in which he verbally tears his brother-in-law to pieces.

Preston Sturges ought to have had a magic wand. You need a streak of genius to cook up all those fake scenarios in which Rex?s character plots to get rid of his allegedly unfaithful wife, make your skin crawl while the murderous fantasies play out and then have you burst out laughing when you get to see clumsy Rex struggling to put the perfect crime into practice. If that wasn?t enough the ending is sheer riot. No other man can turn otherwise saccharine and sappy lines into something worldly like Rex Harrison.

Any thoughts on Linda, apart that she has a figure to die for and black looks knock-out on her?

I wasn't initially excited about viewing this movie as Rex is not my favorite. But, I'm nutso for Linda and I still can't get over how stunning she looks and sounds in UY. Linda is so gorgeous/great/charming i sometimes think she must be from some other galaxy.

Hi, Miss Betty Idol -- Since I?m so besotted with ??The Ghost and Mrs. Muir?? it was impossible to forget Rex Harrison in ??Unfaithfully Yours??. I must confess I had a hard time keeping up with Sir Rex. His voice alone could match the Niagara Falls. No wonder Frank said it must be a tall order to give the man a run for his money.

Ahhh, you just hit on my favorite Rex Harrison film. Unfaithfully Yours is also my favorite Preston Sturges film and, I completely agree with Randy, Linda Darnell is stunning in the picture. Unfaithfully Yours is definitely not your typical Sturges comedy, but I love it because it's very dark.

I couldn?t help feeling that Linda was a bit in over her head next to Harrison?s roaring performance. I swear he never jumps off the merry-go-round and there?s a scene in which he verbally tears his brother-in-law to pieces.

According to the commentators on the DVD, Rex really had a problem with Linda. He viewed her as an amateur actress not worthy of his talents. I think Linda is absolutely adorable in the film.

Preston Sturges ought to have had a magic wand. You need a streak of genius to cook up all those fake scenarios in which Rex?s character plots to get rid of his allegedly unfaithful wife, make your skin crawl while the murderous fantasies play out and then have you burst out laughing when you get to see clumsy Rex struggling to put the perfect crime into practice. If that wasn?t enough the ending is sheer riot. No other man can turn otherwise saccharine and sappy lines into something worldly like Rex Harrison.

That was beautifully expressed. I most definitely agree with you.

Any thoughts on Linda, apart that she has a figure to die for and black looks knock-out on her?

Damn. I was going to say she was gorgeous in the film. Actually, what I really like about Linda's performance is that it proved to me she could play a sweet, lovable girl, which is the exact opposite of the two other performances that I love of hers: A Letter to Three Wives and Fallen Angel.

unfaithfullyyours1.jpg

unfaithfullyyours2.jpg

unfaithfullyyours3.jpg

unfaithfullyyours4.jpg

unfaithfullyyours5.jpg

unfaithfullyyours6.jpg

unfaithfullyyours7.jpg

unfaithfullyyours8.jpg

unfaithfullyyours9.jpg

unfaithfullyyours10.jpg

unfaithfullyyours11.jpg

unfaithfullyyours12.jpg

unfaithfullyyours13.jpg

unfaithfullyyours14.jpg

unfaithfullyyours15.jpg

unfaithfullyyours16.jpg

Thanks, Frank for cluing me in. I had no idea that Rex made those comments about Linda's acting talent. While it's true that the movie's weight lay on his shoulders, Linda is just the missing ingredient. Without her the film wouldn't have been half as delightful. I simply love Rex' impetuous, over the top performance.

''Damn. I was going to say she was gorgeous in the film. Actually, what I really like about Linda's performance is that it proved to me she could play a sweet, lovable girl, which is the exact opposite of the two other performances that I love of hers: A Letter to Three Wives and Fallen Angel.''

You hit the nail on the head. For a change Linda gives life to an upfront, charming girl with no hidden agenda on the side. And the pics you posted....a match made in heaven. Linda looks DIVINE.

Hi, Miss Betty Idol! -- Thanks, Frank for cluing me in. I had no idea that Rex made those comments about Linda's acting talent.

I was very disappointed to learn of this, but it surely did not come as a surprise.

While it's true that the movie's weight lay on his shoulders, Linda is just the missing ingredient. Without her the film wouldn't have been half as delightful.

I certainly agree.

I thought Linda was wonderful because she was the one who had to change emotional gears the most in the picture since she was playing Rex's imagined version of her. I thought she was terrific throughout. And, yes, I'm very much a Linda fan. She's my third favorite actress, behind Barbara Stanwyck and Gene Tierney.

I simply love Rex' impetuous, over the top performance.

Me, too. Since the film is a dark, fantastical comedy, Rex's over-the-top performance snugly fits. He's got everything figured out yet he knows nothing. Perfect.

You hit the nail on the head. For a change Linda gives life to an upfront, charming girl with no hidden agenda on the side.

Nicely put. Although, did she have a hidden agenda or didn't she? Paranoia.

And the pics you posted....a match made in heaven. Linda looks DIVINE.

I love Linda's sexuality as "Stella" in Fallen Angel but, surprisingly, I actually do prefer her as the adorable "Daphne" in Unfaithfully Yours.

Hey, Super Sweet Sheriff T -- so it was rex who was a bad influence on you frankie!!.....taking hearts away from innocent ladies! heehee!

Now you know I would never take the heart of an innocent lady... only a very guilty one.

Frank you have great taste as always. Linda's your #3 and my #2 but Arturo has us both beat as i believe Linda is his #1.

P.S. -- I'm starting to fall for Gloria Grahame again. Here's hoping TCM is going to trot out In A Lonely Place. I have Macao on tape. I can watch that and drool over Gloria and Jane Russell. God bless tcm.

Yes, Linda is my favorite actress of all time. I know I read (can't recall where) that the part was originally meant for Rosa Stradner, Joseph Manziewicz' wife, but that Zanuck wanted a name because he didn't think Harrison's name meant much at the boxoffice. So Gene Tierney was cast, but bowed out out of respect for Ms. Stradner. So Linda inherited the part. She was stunning to look at, and quite effective in the subtle shifts of her character in each of the daydreams. I don't think it was an ideal part for her; she seemed too much as a simpering wife..."my darling...my honey love...sweet love". Actually, the tart lines her onscreen sister Barbara Lawrence got were more like the lines that Linda usually got at that time. maybe more dimension in her role would have survived if the 20-30 minutes cut out by Zanuck had been left in, since it supposedly dealt with how Harrison first met Linda in her Midwest hometown.

This movie did not fare well when released in late 1948. It had been postponed because of Carole Landis' suicide in July 1948, over her despondence over her affair with Rex, and the scandal involving the married Mr. Harrison. It effectively killed his Hollywood career, temporarily, as it turned out, but a black comedy about Rex contemplating killing his love hit too close to home.

Arturo, maybe Gene would have fitted the part better with her royal looks and the cold sting of her voice could have had Rex's charcater raking over the coals. But Linda was ravishing all the same. She proved her wide range with all those personality slips that she mastered to a T. I liked the movie so much because it was a game of the mind and how it can conspire to set you up for a fall.

It makes me so sad to learn about the tragedy that struck Rex's private life. So much for him being a ladykiller.

Don't get me started on the glorious Gloria Grahame. She had an icy incandescence that could eat your heart out. Frank, you got yourself in a tight spot with all those beauties fighting for you.

See, I can sit back and learn a lot if I just listen to grown folks talk.

I must see "Unfaithfully Yours." I've been a recent convert to Preston Sturgess and Darnell is just about the most...most...ahh...The Most!

How the hell did Lilli Palmer put up with Rex and his b.s.? I've always felt bad for Carole Landis. She was only 29 when Rex found her dead that July 4th weekend. And ha ha ha. Zanuck had to put super-great Linda in the film as Darryl felt Rex couldn't carry the picture with box office fans. Seems like Zanuck had to eat some crow with Linda. The previous year the powers that be had to crawl to Linda to step in and save Forever Amber as Peggy Cummins was just too inexperienced at that time. TPTB told Linda to buzz off earlier when she asked to be considered to play Amber. Ha ha ha ha. Don't mess with Linda. Karma is on her side. On a side-note, Zanuck made beautiful Lynn Bari's life not very fun at TC Fox.

Unfaithfully Yours is now considered a classic and Linda Is attached to that prestige so i'm happy with that. Wasn't Linda gggorgeous in Blood And Sand? Rita got her part after Carole Landis turned it down putting Carole on Zanuck's *hit list for good. Linda & Rita in the same movie: can't wait to see it again. If I were Tyrone i would've stayed with Linda cause Rita's Donia Sol was mean and fickle.

..."If I were Tyrone i would've stayed with Linda cause Rita's Donia Sol was mean and fickle."

C'mon Randy!! Since when does a man care if the hottest woman on the planet is mean and fickle as long as he gets to 'be' with her and have her walk in a room with him??? Hot mean and fickle over simple sweet & good?? They just played down Darnell's persona in THAT pix. (Check out "Fallen Angel.")

Hi, Randy -- Frank you have great taste as always.

That's a terrific compliment coming from a guy who has an eye for beautiful women.

Linda's your #3 and my #2 but Arturo has us both beat as i believe Linda is his #1.

Arturo is definitely the biggest Darnell fan on the board.

P.S. -- I'm starting to fall for Gloria Grahame again. Here's hoping TCM is going to trot out In A Lonely Place. I have Macao on tape. I can watch that and drool over Gloria and Jane Russell. God bless tcm.

Gloria is #4 for me and Grace Kelly is #5. I do like my blondes.

Hiya, Miss Betty Idol -- Arturo, maybe Gene would have fitted the part better with her royal looks and the cold sting of her voice could have had Rex's charcater raking over the coals. But Linda was ravishing all the same. She proved her wide range with all those personality slips that she mastered to a T. I liked the movie so much because it was a game of the mind and how it can conspire to set you up for a fall.

You are on fire! You continually paint just the right picture.

Don't get me started on the glorious Gloria Grahame. She had an icy incandescence that could eat your heart out. Frank, you got yourself in a tight spot with all those beauties fighting for you.

If only it were true. If only it were true.

Hola, CineBaby -- I must see "Unfaithfully Yours." I've been a recent convert to Preston Sturgess

It's a different kind of Sturges because the film is psychological and the humor is on the dark side.

and Darnell is just about the most...most...ahh...The Most!

The Mostest!

In a Lonely Place

inalonelyplace2-1.jpg

Blood and Sand

bloodandsand1.jpg

bloodandsand2.jpg

bloodandsand3.jpg

bloodandsand4.jpg

bloodandsand5.jpg

bloodandsand6.jpg

They just played down Darnell's persona in THAT pix. (Check out "Fallen Angel.")

Cinemaven,

Actually, THAT was Darnell's persona at the time (1941), being only 17 when it was filmed. She played a sweet virginal character for the first 5 years or so of her career (hence, not a big stretch playing the Virgin Mary in her cameo in Song of Bernadette). It was her fourth costarring role with Tyrone Power, and they were popular together. Interestingly, Zanuck considered her as his leading lady in Johnny Apollo, the film he made immediately after Daytime Wife, their first together. This role would have been a change of pace for her, barely 16, playing a gangster's moll in an early noir. Alas, the part called for a singer/dancer, which is why Dorothy Lamour was borrowed (where was Alice Faye?...and Betty Grable, already under contract to 20th but not yet utilized by them, would have been perfect).

Linda's change of pace role was as the temptress in Summer Storm (1944), followed shortly by her acclaimed roles in Hangover Square and Fallen Angel.

In 1946, Zanuck tried to reteam Linda and Ty in Captain From Castile, but the musical chairs occasioned by the debacle of Forever Amber caused her to not be available for this epic, and an unknown Jean Peters got her big break. CFC would have been a perfect vehicle for Linda, utilizing her sexy latin beauty as the earthy gypsy Catana.

Later, Tyrone turned down the the opportunity to again costar with Linda in another historical costume epic, Lydia Bailey, since he was tired of these type of roles. Linda did not end up making it either, probably because she was taking advantage of a revised contract with Fox allowing her to do films for other companies, and Anne Francis got this part. Seems likely that the part played by Patricia Neal in Diplomatic Courier was also originally considered for Linda, but she and Power never costarred again.

That was a very informative read, Arturo. Excellent!

You are very correct about Linda's transformation from the young good girl to the "mature" bad girl once she came of age. She was so very young when she arrived in Hollywood although you would never know it since she always looked "mature" for her age.

Arturo, maybe Gene would have fitted the part better with her royal looks and the cold sting of her voice could have had Rex's charcater raking over the coals.

MissBettyIdol,

I always thought that Barbara Lawrence had been selected for Unfaithfully Yours because she could have played Gene Tierney's sister plausibly, lookswise, since her build resembles Gene's more that Linda's. Great movie that has finally received its due.

Hi, CM. What i was meaning, that if it were real life, i would have chosen Linda's character. I could have put up with Donia Sol's crap for one date only. It would be kinda fun to go out with Donia for just one night of dancing to see what made her tick. I loathe mean and fickle in real life. I don't care how good lookin' she is. Anyhoo, when i saw Linda in that one scene, look up at that statue and pray for tyrone's safety... Linda was so beautiful i lost consciousness. Her eyes, that angelic face, and she would be true to me. No man could ever totally keep Donia from straying. And that is what randy calls a total turn-off.

I see Randy. I see. Thanx. You've given me a bit of insight into the inner workings of how men think, and how they see good girls...and "bad" girls.

Lost consciousness? Whew! I'd better find my old copy of "Blood and Sand" and give Darnell another look-see. (I do already know she's already drop dead gorgeous). And if you do get a girl like Darnell in your personal life...STAY AWAKE!

Don't get me wrong. Bad girls are great as long as we keep them at arms length and don't get in too deep. Bad girls usually chew men up and spit them out. In the movies, bad girls are GREAT and loads of fun to watch. And you are right. We guys do like to stroll into a room with a beautiful girl on our arm. But there has to be more to a great gal than just looks or one can lose interest soon. And if i meet a Linda type in real life, i will get weak and wobbly from the vapors of her beauty, but i will stay awake!!

You're cute.

I remember reading Rita Hayworth saying men wanted to go to bed with Gilda, and then were disappointed when they woke up in bed with her. Guess there's some good in "bad" girls, and some bad in "good" girls. Now to talk about some bad boyzzzz.....

''Now to talk about some bad boyzzzz....'' -that's the way to talk, Cinemaven.

I don't care going down with a dark, brooding bad boy. Give me a good dosis of Boogie in ''A Lonely Place'' and I'm ready to fall.Bitter and at the end of his rope. Impossible to be saved. The hand you need to push you over the edge.

If I can be choosy I will settle for the snake J.J Hunsecker. Wholly loathsome and hopelessly vicious. The poisonous razor of his tongue that never missed its target.

''I remember reading Rita Hayworth saying men wanted to go to bed with Gilda, and then were disappointed when they woke up in bed with her.''

Miss Hayworth was deliciously modest to make this statement. No one in their right mind can ever forget: ''Who, ME?''

Randy, you are a darling. In real life I look for the kind and softer side, too. Beauty can be too tricky to gamble on.

But I would take Miss Davis' Jezebel any day over her sweet Henriette Deluzy that wouldn't harm a fly. I guess I'm just lured by the power of evil.

I remember two perfomances by Linda Darnell in which she was so sweet

and naive. "Blood & Sand" and "The Mark of Zorro" both opposite Tyrone Power.

Gosh, who was prettier?

Message was edited by: Bargar

My favorite scene is when Rex Harrison is make the record and he plays it back the look he gets is great. Plus the lovely Linda Darnell is also a bonus. She was a naturally a great beauty.