Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Chaplin1925

Why the recent 1970s films?

"I didn't sign up for the "second tier" on Direct TV and pay extra for it to see "all eighty years of the Academy Awards".

Then take your fight to Direct-TV and request they put the channel on the lower tier. (TCM has no input or control where cable and satellite systems place the channel.)

When your check is written "Pay to the order of "Tuner Classic Movies", then you might have an argument to make. Right now all you have is a tiresome whine.

kjk

I enjoy TCM no matter what they play. As long as they dont start playing modern dumb teenage or stupid comedies with Adam Sandler or movies starring no one (that should eliminate a few) and if they can keep classics as their bread and butter.

Didnt TCM play the Terminator a few weeks ago ? That was surprising, to their credit, they did not choose a terrible modern movie. It can arguably be considered a classic , in fact its really good if you are into that type of movie (gritty scifi) and most reviews are positive for it. It was odd it was on TCM but still, they could play a lot worse movies that are modern ala the Sci Fi Channel. Id rather them do oldies mainly...maybe they are trying to expand to a multitude of audiences. Who knows. Anyway overall I like TCM. Ive been watching it more this month.

To be sung to Poor John in Cover Girl

POOR FRED

Fred turned TCM on for his mother, his mother, his mother

Whem Fred turned TCM on for his mother,

She took one look at the guide

Turned her head and Sighed

Poor Fred, Poor Fred

TCM is meant for classic movie presentations

Modern movies are a gross misrepresentation

TCM now has ACM's reputation

She took a look at the $10 a month Fred paid

Fell to her knees and said

Poor Fred, Poor Fred

Fred turned TCM on for his mother, his mother, his mother

Whem Fred turned TCM on for his mother,

She took one look at the guide

Turned her head and Sighed

Poor Fred, Poor Fred

--

Terry Wallace

Dear Lord in Heaven I thought we had things in this country to be concerned about given the state of our choices for upcoming elections, the state of education and it's decline, and the troops needlessly dying, and their bravery for going over there due to our oval office, and the lower wards in my home state not being addressed while our tax dollars build a football team a new stadium, and thousands loose their homes in California fires, but dear God where were my priorites. I have sinned. I should have been focused on the misgivings of 70's films being on TCM. Forgive me. I beat my chest in sorrow for not seeing the light.

AMEN!

I say shut up and enjoy the films being shown, and than your lucky stars we have a commercial-free station devoted to film.

The thing is this. I pay extra to get the digital package which includes TCM, but also includes a million other channels, maybe 1-2 of which I ever watch once in a while. I get AMC with my basic cable. If I was to get torqued off at anyone it would be AMC which is NOT what it originally was established to be, in any way, shape or form. We'd all like to think that TCM was designed the same way, but they never were. They always claimed to show films from the 60's-80's and then added 90's in 2004. Now do they show more of those films than they used to, despite all evidence to the contrary, my sense is that "yes" they do, and the reason is probably not as nefarious as many might think, the reason is that as we move further and further away from the 20's-50's, there are more films in those later decades which are available for viewing. I don't like that, but it's a fact of the way times change.

I hate that there aren't two channels who show ad-free classics (mostly older B/W films), the way it was before 2001 (and my luck is that I had neither channel at that time, which sucks even more for me). But I'm not going to ditch my cable entirely, at least not as long as there is still at least one channel doing that, TCM. Aside from going out and getting your own DVD's (and many are NOT on DVD either): Where else are you going to get a silent film showing once per week (and often more frequently)? Where else am I going to get to watch an entire month, one night per week, of mostly 1930's Jimmy Cagney films? Where else am I going to get to see Wheeler and Woolsey, Thelma Todd, Jimmy Durante? Do I see enough of what I prefer? NEVER. And in that I will join and encourage TCM to show more and more of the 30's and 40's and the more obscure and lesser viewed films and stars from that era. But hey, as long as they are still showing them, even if only once in a while, I'm going to enjoy them. Do I like Oscar's month? Not that much, I never have, though once in a while, I do find some gems to enjoy, and have again this month. I miss the B's and lesser known films, and they'll return again in March.

Bottom line: TCM airs more than enough cool stuff to keep me busy watching, and when they don't, I watch stuff I've recorded from them during the wee hours and daytime hours, or pop in a DVD. I'll keep pushing for them to show more 30's and 40's films and LESS of the stuff from post-1970, but I'll take what I can get, and enjoy months like November (tons of mostly older series films every single day), December (tons of pre-codes!) and January (more pre-codes and Cagney all month long), whenever they come along. It's when they stop doing stuff like that which will cause me to grouse and ultimately drop them from my cable. That day may come, but IMO, it's not here yet.

"I'll keep pushing for them to show more 30's and 40's films and LESS of the stuff from post-1970, but I'll take what I can get..." - markbeckhuaf

And when 'markbeckhuaf talks, TCM listens. At least his polite inquiry about the dearth of 1930s films last fall seemed to result in TCM making amends in the December and January schedules. That's how I see it anyway.

Kyle In Hollywood

This line of yours:

I hate that there aren't two channels who show ad-free classics (mostly older B/W films),

suddenly made me think - why aren't their several channels incorporating classics into their schedules. There's so much energy expended on questioning why TCM does or doesn't seem to be adding more recent fare, but shouldn't we instead be putting the squeeze on other channels to incorporate more classics into their offerings?

When I was a kid, my stay-at-home mom used to take a break in her day every day at noon to watch some movie from the 30s or 40s on the KTLA, a local station in L.A. (Watching them with her on sick-days home from school is what introduced me to my love of old movies.) And then again there'd be another one broadcast on either KTLA or KTTV in the evening at 8:00. "The Million Dollar Movie" - why did this have to go away??? I get that this would not be financially sensible to continue on a daily basis, but was it truly necessary to drop the concept of showing classic movies in their entirety?

It really is sad that TCM is pretty much alone out there in keeping these great (and small) films available and convenient for public viewing.

>Dear Lord in Heaven I thought we had things in this country to be concerned about given the state of our choices for upcoming elections, the state of education and it's decline, and the troops needlessly dying, and their bravery for going over there due to our oval office, and the lower wards in my home state not being addressed while our tax dollars build a football team a new stadium, and thousands loose their homes in California fires, but dear God where were my priorites. I have sinned. I should have been focused on the misgivings of 70's films being on TCM. Forgive me. I beat my chest in sorrow for not seeing the light.

This is a TCM forum, not a current events forum.

I used to think that TCM wasn't for big business and was for letting the legacy of old B&W films to live on. Within a matter of 5 years, I guarantee that TCM will be 1970s-2000s films. It's sad but probably true.

>suddenly made me think - why aren't their several channels incorporating classics into their schedules. There's so much energy expended on questioning why TCM does or doesn't seem to be adding more recent fare, but shouldn't we instead be putting the squeeze on other channels to incorporate more classics into their offerings?

That would be great except they are probably making too much money doing the way they are now.

For others:

I counted only 5 films made after 1980 for April. That should make you feel better.

AS far as I am concerned the 1970's have now become a classic era of film. Here are a list of classic 1970's cinema.

Young Frankenstein

Blazing Saddles

The Godfather

The Godfather Part II

The Sting

The Goodbye Girl

M*A*S*H

Kramer VS Kramer

The Deer Hunter

Sleeper

Annie Hall

An Unmarried Woman

Norman Rae

The Rose

Star Wars

Silver Streak

The In-Laws

Klute

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Network

Rocky

Where's Poppa

Harold and Maude

The Conversation

High Anxiety

The Muppet Movie

Plaza Suite

California Suite

The Longest Yard

The Last PIcture Show

The Late Show

Close Enxounters of the Third Kind

Jaws

The French Connection

The Prisoner of Second Avenue

Semi-Tough

Smokey and the Bandit

The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean

Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams

American Graffiti

Murder By Death

The Cheap Detective

Carnal Knowledge

Starting Over

Looking For Mr. Goodbar

Love and Death

Being There

Lady Sings the Blues

Taxi Driver

What's Up, Doc?

I can name so many more but these are theones that come to head right now so its a very classic decade. A lot of the films of the 70's were out to be like the films of the 30's and 40's and while not all were succesful a whole lot of them were as good if not better than them.

Five Easy Pieces (1970)

MASH (1970)

Patton (1970)

Woodstock (1970)

The French Connection (1971)

The Hospital (1971)

Shaft (1971)

The Last Picture Show (1971)

Cabaret (1972)

The Godfather (1972)

Harold and Maude (1972)

American Graffiti (1973)

Badlands (1973)

Enter the Dragon (1973)

Mean Streets (1973)

The Sting (1973)

Blazing Saddles (1974)

Chinatown (1974)

The Conversation (1974)

The Godfather: Part II (1974)

A Woman Under the Influence (1974)

Young Frankenstein (1974)

Jaws (1975) - I hate this movie, but it's definitely "classic".

Nashville (1975)

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

Harlan County U.S.A. (1976)

Network (1976)

The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)

Rocky (1976)

Taxi Driver (1976)

Annie Hall (1977)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

Killer of Sheep (1977)

Star Wars (1977)

Eraserhead (1977)

Powers of Ten (1977)

Halloween (1978)

Days of Heaven (1978)

The Deer Hunter (1978)

National Lampoon's Animal House (1978)

Alien (1979)

All That Jazz (1979)

Apocalypse Now (1979)

The Black Stallion (1979)

Manhattan (1979)

...These movies aren't "classic"?

While I don't agree with every choice on your list being a classic, I certainly agree that the '70's gave us some of the best film ever made.

You left out a few that I would definitely include; CHINATOWN, MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS, ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE, THE PASSENGER, MR. KLEIN,THE GARDEN OF THE FINZI-CONTINIS, LACOMBE, LUCIEN, YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, PAPER MOON, ALIEN, APOCALYPSE, NOW, BADLANDS,THE WAY WE WERE, ....Add these to what has already been listed and one gets the idea...from MIDNIGHT COWBOY through ATLANTIC CITY, The '70's provided us with a lot of top quality cinema. It's a pity we can't say that for a good part of the 21st. century.