Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
lococardinal

Jeeves And Wooster

Any fans? As far as I know there's only been 2 movies made; "Thank You Jeeves", and "Step Lively Jeeves". They star Arthur Treacher and David Niven. I bought the DVD set because I'm a fan of the TV series with Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie. The first movie in the set (and oldest of the 2) "Thank You Jeeves" I was quite pleased with. The second movie "Step Lively Jeeves" is a bit of a disappointment. For one thing, Bertie Wooster is not in the movie (there was mention of parting ways in the first movie). There was also a bit of a contradictory character flaw with Jeeves. Has anyone seen these movies and have an opinion? How does it stand with the British TV series? I rather wish they had made a few more back then. On a positive note, apparently Arthur Treacher has played a number of gentlemen's gentlemen roles.

I'm a big Wodehouse fan and love the Fry/Laurie series. I'd love to see the film versions you speak of but have not caught them on TCM or anywhere, as yet. Treacher and Niven sound like inspired casting for their time. Do you enyoy the books as well? I like to read them a bedtime because they always make me laugh.

I've only ever seen the Fry/Laurie set. I really enjoyed them. They did bog down a bit when it came to America but on the whole it was a lot of fun.

They were very detailed about about the time period and then let it get away from them in the New York scenes in the establishing shots. Uncharacteristically sloppy.