Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mark83

Jennifer Jones fans

100% fan here.

Hard to believe she'll be 89 years old in a few weeks. I've been a fan ever since as a teenager back in the early 80's I caught one afternoon "The Song Of Bernadette" and was amazed at her performance in that film. Hence my beginning of venturing into classic cinema so a big thank you goes to Jennifer Jones. I've managed to collect and own all 24 of her films.

A few favorites are "Portrait Of Jennie", "Cluny Brown", "Since You Went Away" and "Ruby Gentry". When she made a guest appearance at the 70th and 75th Academy Awards I was still amazed at her grace and class and beauty. I sit here wondering if they have some sort of 80th celebration of past winners that she would attend again.

What are some of your favorites and what do you find interesting about her?

My favorite Jennifer Jones movie is "Love Is A Many Splendored Thing' 1955. She stars as a Eurasian doctor who falls in love with a unhappily married war reporter in Hong Kong. The couple`s swim to friends home is very sexy.

Madame Bovary is my fave as well of the great and gorgeous Jennifer Jones. Jennifer was quite scandalous as Emma and i loved the plot. However, i LOVED Jennifer as well in Ruby Gentry, Duel In The Sun, Since You Went Away, and The Towering Inferno. I bought the dvd of Carrie and am looking forward to watching it for the first time. Jennifer Jones rules!!

JENNIFER JONES rules. I love Jennifer Jones. (I'm sure Robert Walker blew his brains out having lost her to Selznick). I thought she was very sexy in that lust-in-the-dust oater, "Duel in the Sun." But what role of hers really breaks my heart is "Love Letters." When she tries to retrieve the letters tossed in a fireplace, that just about killed me. Eighty-nine. Geez! God bless her!!

>(I'm sure Robert Walker blew his brains out having lost her to Selznick).

Sadly, I think a more apt description is that he drank himself to an early death. Such a waste of talent.

It's true, he did drink himself to a very young death because he was lost without Jennifer,

Robert Walker Jr. son of Robert Walker and Jennifer Jones was on Star Trek in the episode

Charlie X he played a teenager with a problem, I remember watching it and I could see a resemblence to both parents...

Jennifer Jones was beautiful. Those pictures below are worth a thousand words. Someone more eloquent than I can express it.

Poor Robert Walker. I liked him especially in "The Clock" and, of course..."Strangers on a Train."

WOW such fantastic pictures. There is something very unique about Jennifer Jones. She has that innocent coy beauty thing going on. When I was watching the 70th academy award shows with some friends and near the end when they had the past oscar winner tribute and they scanned across each one there and they got to J.J. I was shocked to see her and how still radiant whe was. My buddies even made comments and when I said she was 78 years old they were in disbelief and said I was wrong. Of course I knew she was (at that time) and made a wager to one of my friends for 20 bucks. He took the bait and when i proved it he was astounded.

I have a pic of her on my wall (candid shot at some event) and it was taken in 1984. A beautiful shot of her and I ask those who inquire of it what they think her age is in it. The majority say 50 and I proudly say she is 65!! Her beauty is timeless.

I agree. Her beauty is timeless because it comes from within and works its way to the surface. I really love her unique voice too. Jennifer is one of those few stars like Bette or Crawford who i will watch in a movie even if the movie is not the greatest, just to look at her and hear her talk. I love, love, love this woman. She's done a lot of charity work and i hope she lives to be at least 101 if not more. Thanks CineMaven for the wow pics!!! and, of course, Jennifer does rule!

A poster on the "Duel in the Sun" thread in General Discussions thinks that Jennifer Jones (and Gregory Peck) are the problem in that movie.

I think he's all wet!!

She's the reason for any movie.

I cannot take credit for the pictures though. They were posted by ForeverGarland.

Jones does get under your skin. You want to protect her and ravish her. Ingrid Bergman has that effect on me too. Am I going to Hell???

You're not going to hell as Ingrid has that effect on legions of people. Oops. The pics are great. Thanks Forever G. I don't think Peck or Jones have been the problem with any movie but i'm biased as they are both in my top 20 fave actors and actresses respectively. Greg's voice is really top-notch especially in David And Bathsheba and Snows Of Kilimanjaro. Virginia Mayo said he was the best kisser of her many co-stars on the Vicki talk show in 1993.

We might as well go to hell in tow. I don't mind. Ingrid had an etheral kind of beauty that makes us feel close to heaven anyway.

Jennifer and Gregory left their mark on ''Duel in the Sun''. I fail to imagine what the movie would have been without them. Their touching chemistry also ignited in ''The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit''. But I won't leave Joe Cotton out in the cold. He was a darling too.

To set the record straight, Robert Walker did not drink himself to death. Yes, he had an alcohol problem that began after Jennifer Jones left him for David O. Selznick, but his death was accidental and caused by an incompetent doctor. On the day of his death he had been drinking and had a severe panic attack. His doctor was called to his house and wanted to administer a sedative to calm him down. Walker told the doctor he had been drinking and that he didn't want the sedative. The doctor injected him anyway, and the combination of the sedative with the alcohol caused him to stop breathing.

I always felt it was so tragic, he had been seeing doctors for several years to try to get help for his emotional problems, but the medications and methods of treatment for such problems were not very advanced at that time. Despite his personal turmoil, he was an outstanding actor.

As for Jennifer, my favorite movie of hers is "The Towering Inferno." It was really very nice that she could make a comeback like that after so many years.

I find "Since You Went Away" difficult to watch, knowing what was going on behind the scenes with Jones, Walker, and Selznick. It must have been heart-wrenching for both Robert and Jennifer to make that film.

she's great in Portrait Of Jennie and Since You Went Away, but i also love We Were Strangers and The Barretts of Wimpole Street

Message was edited by: Garbo_fan

Coming up this Saturday, Feb. 14:

*Madame Bovary* (1949) @ 6am ET

A romantic country girl sacrifices her marriage when she thinks she's found true love.

Cast: Jennifer Jones, Van Heflin, Louis Jourdan, Christopher Kent Dir: Vincente Minnelli BW-114 mins, TV-PG

*Love Is a Many Splendored Thing* (1955) 8pm ET

A Eurasian doctor in Hong Kong falls in love with a war orrespondent.

Cast: William Holden, Jennifer Jones, Torin Thatcher, Isobel Elsom Dir: Henry King C-102 mins, TV-G

LoveIsAManyHSsm.jpg

And coming up on Monday, Feb. 23:

*Duel In The Sun* (1946)

A fiery half-breed comes between a rancher's good and evil sons.

Cast: Jennifer Jones, Joseph Cotten, Gregory Peck, Lionel Barrymore Dir: William Dieterle C-144 mins, TV-14

I've always liked JJ in the movie *Love Letters* (1945). She has good chemistry with Joseph Cotten. *Portrait of Jennie* confirms this.

Since it is Valentine's Day, I will note that one one of the most romantic lines ever in movies comes from *The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit* when Gregory Peck says to JJ: "I worship you." Can you say 'swoon'?? *Mary*

tbhank you for the reminder, FF. we are watching 'love' tonight after going out to a lovely romantic dinner. it is going to be a beautiful evening!

I was very impressed by her performance in Love Is A Many Splendored Thing. She really made the love story work and made me think that she was actually Eurasian.